Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trim Discoloration on 2019 Vista

I am experiencing significant discoloration of some of the trim pieces on my 2019 Vista 27PE. The body trim between the front cap and the trim around the pop-outs are turning brown. See photos.

This is happening even after treating the pieces regularly with 303 Protectant. The only thing I have found the will remove the discoloration is laquer thinner and even that is marginal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions for dealing with it? My thought is to sand, prime, and paint the trim the Winnebago body color for a permanent solution.

Thanks.

(Sorry for the orientation of the pictures. I couldn't figure out how to rotate them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210928_091855.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	180949   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210928_091903.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	180950  

Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you try bleach?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yep. Clorox cleaner had no effect. I tried lacquer thinner again and it is now only marginally effective.

It appears to be a structural change in the plastic. Possibly caused by UV? Even though it was treated to prevent this exposure.

If I go the paint route, the Winnebago color code I have for the body paint is Champagne – 890289K. I found the spray paint on paintscratch.com. It's not cheap, but it has a complete selection of primers and cleaners.

One issue though as it describes that color code as Beige and has a different color code for Champagne? I will probably go with the code over the description?
Old 09-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I like your early suggestion of sanding, priming, and then painting. If you get those first two things right, then if the final coat doesn't match well enough, you can sand it off down to the primer and repaint.

If it were my RV, I'd just drive to Mexico and have it done down there while I sipped a pina colada under a nice coconut tree's shade. Yea! Viva Mexico!

One thing I found with my Journey is that Winnebago used a proprietary paint from DuPont. But an automotive paint store was able to come close to the color by eye, but I had to drive the RV to them. But when I ran out of that paint in Mexico, the Mexican painter was able to mix up paint that was even closer to the original.

In your case, since that trim piece is plastic? I see trims like that occasionally on the internet, usually when I'm searching for something else so I don't pay a lot of attention, and their colors are part of the plastic, not surface paint. Maybe replacement would be easier as your RV is so young, and that trim might be readily available?

Old 09-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

As the affected areas are all separate pieces, as long as the color match is close, I think it will be OK. Paintscratch.com has plastic adhesion promoter, primer, color matched paint, and clear coat so it will be a 5 step process in addition to the sanding.

I will check on replacing the trim entirely, but my experience with Winnebago parts is that they are usually cost prohibitive. All the paint supplies are well under $100.00.

With an OEM replacement part, there is also no guarantee this will not happen again. I am a little surprised no one else has indicated they have this issue. Problems are usually pretty universal with these things.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you remove a section first, then dim out the profile, that'll make it easier to find the original manufacturer or a replacement part. I can't think of the words I used to find things like that before on google so just take a few guesses yourself. Is it soft vinyl or some hard poly? I see something similar on eBay for $0.99/ft.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Will do. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am seeing the same thing on my 2019 Vista 29VE. It's also doing it on the trim on the slide. I wonder if Winnebago got a bad batch of trim that year?
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hey Jimm.

Possibly a bad batch of trim. Something is definitely wrong. The second picture above is the trim to the left of the front slide. It is representative of the trim around both slides, so the issue is consistent with yours.

Let me know if you come up with an easy solution to remove the "browning". I haven't thus far.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #10
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

We noted very slight discolouration beginning to appear on these very same pieces on our 2019 Sunstar 27 PE when doing our PDI and had replacements added to our punch list. Sorry as these were replaced on warranty I have no concept as to cost of pieces and R&R. Looking at them I believe they are simple bolt on’s so change out looks pretty straight forward.
I suggest you might take the time and see what sort of price you’re looking at to obtain them through your local dealer ( I heard Winnebago will not ship directly to private people any more).
You may find buying them a whole lot less frustrating than trying to match colour.

But again, “ Free advice - you get what you pay for”.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packfan View Post
Hey Jimm.

Possibly a bad batch of trim. Something is definitely wrong. The second picture above is the trim to the left of the front slide. It is representative of the trim around both slides, so the issue is consistent with yours.

Let me know if you come up with an easy solution to remove the "browning". I haven't thus far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
I am seeing the same thing on my 2019 Vista 29VE. It's also doing it on the trim on the slide. I wonder if Winnebago got a bad batch of trim that year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdie24 View Post
We noted very slight discolouration beginning to appear on these very same pieces on our 2019 Sunstar 27 PE when doing our PDI and had replacements added to our punch list. Sorry as these were replaced on warranty I have no concept as to cost of pieces and R&R. Looking at them I believe they are simple bolt on’s so change out looks pretty straight forward.
I suggest you might take the time and see what sort of price you’re looking at to obtain them through your local dealer ( I heard Winnebago will not ship directly to private people any more).
You may find buying them a whole lot less frustrating than trying to match colour.

But again, “ Free advice - you get what you pay for”.
I have 2019 Sunstar 29VE

I can see the same thing forming although not quite as severe as what is pictured. It seems as if it a matter of time though.

I will follow to see what you guys come up with. I am out of warranty and cost through dealers can be high when they add shipping for odd shape parts.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The brown coloring is Bromide which is added to the plastic as a fire retardant. Over time and with heat it migrates to the surface. There is a way to make them look good again, I did mine, as well as my shower which was also turning brown and now looks like new. The process is called Retr0bright (zero in the middle not "O") and involves developer cream 40v (Amazon) and UV light (artificial or sunlight). Google it to see how it's done but do not be tempted to buy any of the pre-made kits which are a ripoff, all you need is the developer cream from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Stabili...19628556&psc=1 and a UV light source.
Some have added things like oxy-clean or thickeners but in testing I (and others) have found none of that made a difference, just use the cream as is. Tape them off and apply, refresh every 2 hours for a day or so. I used artificial UV light, if you use sunlight you may have to refresh more often if it dries up. It also works best in warm temps, I did mine indoors at 75F. Also I did not wrap or cover anything, I just taped off the edges and spread it on. Afterwards washed area. Here are my results:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...cs-361938.html
Old 10-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

By the way if you decide to replace I am sure this is not a Winnebago specific moulding, look here: https://www.outwater.com/color-plast...nnel-moulding/
I chose not to replace mine as body paint passes over parts of it
Old 10-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
The brown coloring is Bromide which is added to the plastic as a fire retardant. Over time and with heat it migrates to the surface. There is a way to make them look good again, I did mine, as well as my shower which was also turning brown and now looks like new. The process is called Retr0bright (zero in the middle not "O") and involves developer cream 40v (Amazon) and UV light (artificial or sunlight). Google it to see how it's done but do not be tempted to buy any of the pre-made kits which are a ripoff, all you need is the developer cream from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Stabili...19628556&psc=1 and a UV light source.
Some have added things like oxy-clean or thickeners but in testing I (and others) have found none of that made a difference, just use the cream as is. Tape them off and apply, refresh every 2 hours for a day or so. I used artificial UV light, if you use sunlight you may have to refresh more often if it dries up. It also works best in warm temps, I did mine indoors at 75F. Also I did not wrap or cover anything, I just taped off the edges and spread it on. Afterwards washed area. Here are my results:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...cs-361938.html
Thanks bigb!

It looks like you have the solution! A few questions:

1. What did you use to deliver the UV light and how long does it need to be in place? I have a small UV flashlight for curing glue, but it would be tough to cover that much area for long.
  2. Have you noticed the discoloration coming back at any time?
Thanks for adding your expertise to this discussion!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

On the UV light I went a little overkill and bought a 300 watt 240 volt UV lamp and wired up a lamp holder to 240 and mounted to a tripod. Sure it works great but after experimenting I found that I could have used most any light since most lights give off some degree of UV, I probably could have used a reptile lamp, some people use small 10 or 11 watt fluorescent UV lamps. Also the sun worked just as well on same small parts like my TV antenna crank. It's easier for me to use the lamp since I store indoors and my driveway isn't long enough to park outside all day without leaving the street gates open.

For my shower I did it 2 days in a row about 10 hours each day, and I left it on overnight. Most of the results came the first day but I only had done the top 1/2 when I noticed a faint line where I stopped, so the second day I did the whole shower to even it up. On the outside trims it took about 8-9 hours.

The shower has been done for about 8 months and still looks good but if it starts to come back I will do it again. The outside trims I just did at the end of July as you can see in the linked thread and they still look good.

We did put a suction cup on the shower for a week and when it came off it was slightly yellow where it had been but I slapped some cream on the spot and left the bathroom light on all night and it was gone in the AM. More pics below, shower before/after (in wrong order below), TV parts and my lamp setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plate after.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	181007   Click image for larger version

Name:	plate before.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	181008  

Name:	20210110_180054.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	181009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210727_111624.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	181010  

Old 10-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I don't want to mis-lead you, the process did lighten up the plastic considerably to where it doesn't jump right out and catch your eye like it did but the pics may be a bit mis-leading in that they don't show the difference in color between the plastic and the paint that clearly, but then I don't know how close the original match was to begin with as I bought used. I just took 2 more pics, one is a close up where you can see they are not quite as white as the paint but considerably better than before I did anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	close up.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	181011   Click image for larger version

Name:	today.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	181012  

Old 10-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It looks like the plastic on my refrigerator that yellowed. The cure for that is to use the strongest peroxide you can buy at Sally Beauty for around $6.00. Coat the plastic and cover it with plastic wrap so the peroxide does not evaporate. Put it in the sun (UV light). I continued to recoat the plastic throughout the day, and it really whitened my frig trim. I did have to use a UV bulb since the frig is inside. I found different recipes on the Internet, but the only important ingredient is hydrogen peroxide.
Winnie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

If the manufacturers use inferior parts to begin with this is what happens. They know it will be exposed to UV rays. They know that the color will change. They want to save money. They don’t care. The warranty will run out just after the problem surfaces. Their ideal solution.
They could solve the problem for pennies.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
If the manufacturers use inferior parts to begin with this is what happens. They know it will be exposed to UV rays. They know that the color will change. They want to save money. They don’t care. The warranty will run out just after the problem surfaces. Their ideal solution.
They could solve the problem for pennies.
From my understanding any plastic used in an RV has to be fire retardant treated and this is the cause of the discoloring. The RV builder has no control over what is mandated.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We experienced the same discoloration of the moldings on our 2015 Vista
Even though we were out of warranty when I contacted Winnebago Customer service, they sent me replacement moldings
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote