Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trik-L-Start install diagram wrong for 04 Meridian

Today I attempted to install a new Trik-L-Start on the front panel (near the battery disconnect and isolator solenoids) but discovered it simply will not work when connected according to Winnebago's diagram for 2006+ pushers. When the coach battery disconnect solenoid is "disconnected", there is no coach battery power to the terminal on the RIGHT side of t he solenoid...where the Winnebago diagram says to connect the yellow wire. It would work if the disconnect were not actuated, but that makes no sense for long term storage without electrical hookups. Therefore, I accessed this great forum and found that other '04 Journey/Meridian owners have attached the yellow wire to the LEFT terminal on the battery disconnect solenoid (or the RIGHT side of the isolator solenoid) where there is constant coach battery power. This is what I intend to do, tomorrow morning when the Phoenix temperature is bearable. I would like to hear if what I have described makes any sense to others whom have installed a Trik-L-Start.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As I recall, one wire goes to the coach batteries, one to the chassis battery and one to ground. However you can accomplish those connection should be good. As long as you remember that the purpose of the Trik-L-Start is to keep the chassis battery charged while connected to shore power.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
As I recall, one wire goes to the coach batteries, one to the chassis battery and one to ground. However you can accomplish those connection should be good. As long as you remember that the purpose of the Trik-L-Start is to keep the chassis battery charged while connected to shore power.
I'm not connect to shore power, but a solar panel on the roof keeps the coach batteries maintained.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpowered View Post
I'm not connect to shore power, but a solar panel on the roof keeps the coach batteries maintained.
Yep, that will work also.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

What you propose is the way I connected mine. It has worked fine for 5+ years, both hooked up to shore power and on solar when shore power was not available. You'll like it!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are 3 leads on the Trik-L-Start:
House Batteries
Coach Batteries
Ground.

I don't have it in front of me but you should be able to hook it up right across the solenoid, terminal to terminal. Its possible that Winny just flipped the cabled on the solenoid, do you need to do the same. Either way there is only 2 choices..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Today I attempted to install a new Trik-L-Start on the front panel (near the battery disconnect and isolator solenoids) but discovered it simply will not work when connected according to Winnebago's diagram for 2006+ pushers. When the coach battery disconnect solenoid is "disconnected", there is no coach battery power to the terminal on the RIGHT side of t he solenoid...where the Winnebago diagram says to connect the yellow wire. It would work if the disconnect were not actuated, but that makes no sense for long term storage without electrical hookups. Therefore, I accessed this great forum and found that other '04 Journey/Meridian owners have attached the yellow wire to the LEFT terminal on the battery disconnect solenoid (or the RIGHT side of the isolator solenoid) where there is constant coach battery power. This is what I intend to do, tomorrow morning when the Phoenix temperature is bearable. I would like to hear if what I have described makes any sense to others whom have installed a Trik-L-Start.

I not understand - You are using a wiring diagram/instruction from a 2006 Motor Home to connect something on a 2004 MH????

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There is no wiring diagram for a Trik-L-Start on 04's, therefore I used what I thought would be similar. Winnebago did not use Trik-L-Start's on 2004 models. I now have it installed and it is working wonderfully.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
There is no wiring diagram for a Trik-L-Start on 04's, therefore I used what I thought would be similar. Winnebago did not use Trik-L-Start's on 2004 models. I now have it installed and it is working wonderfully.
Thanks now I understand

Glad you got it all fixed

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Anyone have pics of their completed trik-l-start install? I am curious to see how it is mounted. I am attempting to do mine soon. I have a 2003 Journey DL. Thanks.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
Anyone have pics of their completed trik-l-start install? I am curious to see how it is mounted. I am attempting to do mine soon. I have a 2003 Journey DL. Thanks.
Just uploaded a photo of my trik l start in my 2002 DL. mounted in front in the elect.
Click on photos. I dont know how to get the photo here.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

thank you.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Stardalo
Just so there is no confusion.
What you are looking at in Pic.#1 is the battery isolator solonoid.
Yellow wire to the right side (house)
Blue wire to the left side (chassis). Looking at it from the front of the motorhome.
That way your chassis batteries will charge with your house battery switch off.
The ground wire I installed under the mounting screw for the Trik L start.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Just uploaded a photo of my trik l start in my 2002 DL. mounted in front in the elect.
Click on photos. I dont know how to get the photo here.
Here are your images:

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote