Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Transmission Fluid Options..

2003 Allison 6sp 3000 series

I had driven it 3.5 hrs to a campground . Shut it off for about 10 mins to register. Started it up and it made a nasty sound in neutral. Put it in gear and the noise went away.

Got to our site, backed in and put it in neutral, noisey again but sounded different. Stayed 3 days and no noise when we left or got home.

I inspected the tranny oil and it didn't look too healthy. Maybe even a slight burning smell.

My question is, what tranny fluid should I use. The manual sez Transynd. I highly doubt in our little town I'll find it on the shelf. I need it by Friday b4 a 12hr drive.

Soooooo, what are you guys using? Thx

Or, do I have a different issue? Thx again..

Odd thing when I started it after registration, the winshield wiper controls on the steering wheel didn't work. When I went to turn on the auto leaving system, it wouldn't. I let it sit for a few minutes and everything worked. ..
SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
2003 Allison 6sp 3000 series

I had driven it 3.5 hrs to a campground . Shut it off for about 10 mins to register. Started it up and it made a nasty sound in neutral. Put it in gear and the noise went away.

Got to our site, backed in and put it in neutral, noisey again but sounded different. Stayed 3 days and no noise when we left or got home.

I inspected the tranny oil and it didn't look too healthy. Maybe even a slight burning smell.

My question is, what tranny fluid should I use. The manual sez Transynd. I highly doubt in our little town I'll find it on the shelf. I need it by Friday b4 a 12hr drive.

Soooooo, what are you guys using? Thx

Or, do I have a different issue? Thx again..

Odd thing when I started it after registration, the winshield wiper controls on the steering wheel didn't work. When I went to turn on the auto leaving system, it wouldn't. I let it sit for a few minutes and everything worked. ..
Ok, none of your issues are probably related. The windshield wipers, the leveling system, and the transmission have nothing to do with one another, unless, you weren’t running the coach while leveling (low battery).

So you apparently have up to three separate issues, or four. The most important one, being the transmission.

Have you checked the fluid level? Your’s is pretty new, but the tranny, or filter could have some manufacturing debris (the death of any tranny is microscopic debris).

IF, and haven’t done it yet, I’d add a synthetic fluid in my transmission. But, drain it out first, and change the filter.

However, troubleshooting something like this over the Internet is like being blind. Could it possibly have been your power steering unit to make a noise and not your transmission? Who knows we weren’t there to help you figure it out.

It’s probably something unrelated to this, but it’s maintenance anyway. At least you will remove one variable for the dilemma...
Old 08-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It's just weird everything happened all at once. Nothing like this has ever happened in the past. And it hasn't happened 0since....

The noise was coming from behind me. Assumed it's the tranny since it went away when I put it in gear.

Hopefully I can at least get oil and change it. Filters may need to be ordered.

Oil level was full., It was running about 186°
Old 08-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would use what they suggest trannys are expensive
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
I would use what they suggest trannys are expensive
This from Allison. I assume these would be good alternatives to transynd? I'm looking at Mobil Delvac.

https://allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids
Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Some of these parts stores want 175 for the filter kit! One was 75 which is still high. Would have to order..
Old 08-13-2020, 12:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner changed both of my filters and refilled the transmission with transydn for $350.
If in doubt...
Old 08-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
Freightliner changed both of my filters and refilled the transmission with transydn for $350.
If in doubt...
I did it myself a week ago and used Mobile Delvac. How many qts did yours take? Seems like you got a pretty good deal....

Tags
fluid