Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing a car ! ! !

Just bought my motor home last Sunday. Not sure how often but thinking I want to tow a car. What’s the best versatile and cost
Effective way to tow? ( Blue Ox, Tow Dolly, Flat Bed Trailer) Are there benefits and disadvantages at a campground?? Parking etc. Thanks.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40WD
Cat C7. 350hp
Allison
CSGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Theres all sorts of post about this subject. Do some searches and you will find most any type of answer you are looking for.

As for 4 down start your car search here https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

I have towed a jeep 4 down using a blue ox. Over all very easy and trouble free.

I now use a dolly as the number of cars you can tow 4 down is limited. I have been using a dolly for 5 years and many miles. The dolly has its pros and cons, hook up may be alittle harder than the 4 down. I have not had a problem storing at camp sites. I un hook push the dolly to rear of site and be done with it.

I think when it comes down to it, it all depends on the type of vehicle you have. I know you are seeing more and more dollys on the road than in the past.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
wwr
Winnebago Camper

i just came of a 2000 mile trip with a tow dolly everything was fine. if you have mulit cars a tow dolly is the way to go, 4 down, each vehicle reqiures different attachments. get a tow dolly with brakes that way you can go to all states
wwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

All have their owns upside/downsides, so it gets down to what we each find on a personal level.
For a dolly, it does make it easier to choose the tow car but then there are other points to consider. what do you do with the dolly when at home? A place to store it out of the way? How are you on moving a dolly as it can get heavy and hard to move by hand.
It takes more crawling around and getting down to attach it to the the dolly, so how are the knees?
For towing four down, the market is getting limited and it does take some real shopping care , especially if you want to move to a newer model car as each year finds fewer and fewer which do not use CVT transmission.

I like the towing four down as the quicker easier to get attached and moving. But I also like smaller cars and stick shift is fine with the wife and I as well as driving a new car is not a thrill any more, so buying one a couple years older is fine for the economics as well as wider choices.

We normally try to keep a car until it is old enough to vote, so a 2018 Honda HRV with standard trans. is working fine for us. We traded in two and got one and it's like getting a whole new garage space!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing