Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing a 2002 Winnebago Journey

I need to have my 2002 Winnebago Journey DL towed to a repair facility. Can it be towed, if so, what precautions or procedures need to be taken, or does it need to be loaded on a flatbed. It has to be towed approximately 7 miles. Thanks
Gary Gilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Any heavy duty tow company should know what to do. When i had ours towed the company disconnected the drive shaft, hooked up their air supply to our Journey's service line inside the front hood so the air brakes would release and then lifted up the front end. Not cheap.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately I just had our 2005 journey 36' towed yesterday from bodega bay ca to Sacramento ca. 117 miles yes they did as stated above COST $2600.00 hope AAA will reimburse me they claim the will any one else with cost experience just curious what others paid.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #4

If you can start your engine then you can pump up your air suspension system, but many times you need a tow it's because of engine trouble. So you need to manually air-up your suspension system.

To do this, some coaches have remote air lines with Schrader Valves usually mounted in the basement compartment, in front of the rear tires.

Other RVs have an air chuck up front to air up bicycle tires, etc., but not all RV have this. If your RV has a port like this, your tow driver will want to hook his air line up to this point to air up your suspension. However, there can also be a check valve that will prevent this approach.

Most of the time the tow driver will NOT know your RV as good as you do, so it's always a good idea for you to read your User Manual on this subject before the tow truck driver arrives.

What may not be covered in your manual are these three subjects:

1) You need to wire or tie up your mud flap. Why? When the tow driver tips up your front end... the back end tips down! And if you don't tie up your mud flap it will be dragging on the ground.

2) If you tow more than (?) miles.... YOU NEED TO REMOVE YOUR DRIVE LINE at the u-bolts that connect it to the differential yoke. ...And when you reconnect your drive line you are supposed to use new bolts!

3) Last but not least... that tow driver will be moving fast and not thinking too much about your front tires. What I am saying is that tow truck hydraulic fingers that slide under your front tires barely fit the wheel width... and those fingers can really put a crimp or pinch on your RV front tires.

When they towed my RV it was hard to watch this part of the tow process, because I had just installed ne Michelins 1 month before!

I recommend you take pictures of the entire process to document any damage that may result of the tow experience -- including tie down straps that may scratch your paint if they are not used properly.

Most tow truck drivers will do there best to act professional and treat your tow right. So, IMO, you do need to give them room to work! I.e., you do not want to hover over them, but you do need to be on guard to help the tow truck driver see what is going on if they miss something.

FYI... your RV insurance company will often pay for Road Side Labor (not parts) to avoid the cost of a tow. My Hartford Insurance does. So you really should look into this on-site repair option before you tow your RV, because it will save you money (labor), time, and aggravation. It also saves the insurance company the cost of tow, which is why they offer this reimbursement for professional roadside service. (All you need is a claim # and a receipt to get reimbursed.)

* Get this: Some mobile diesel mechanics compete for your business by advertising: "No charge if we can't fix it on all mobile service calls."

When my CAPS pump failed I had to have my RV towed, but The Hardford still reimbursed me $400 for an attempted road side service.

My tow cost was $1,000 to tow 20 miles. That's $50/mile. However, longer tows will cost less per mile, but are still expensive! Therefore, I would never go with an insurance company that limits the maximum miles they will tow or puts a cap the tow reimbursement they will pay.

One more thing: If you ever need a tow and you are not on a designated road.... tell them you are on the road, and give give the dispatcher your location as close to a street address (farm), mileage marker, or cross street.

And if you are somewhere "off-road" as in "not on the map" you never want to use that language with the dispatcher or the insurance company, because they may deny paying for your tow if you mention these words.

So STEP #1 is to get the insurance claim set up "properly."

And by properly you always want to know from your insurance company (up front) if they will be reimbursing the tow truck driver or you are expected to pay the tow truck company and you will be reimbursed for the FULL COST of the tow?

STEP #2, if you are "off road" is to only give your exact whereabouts to the tow truck driver -- so he can find you!

I was once stuck in the sand in Port Aransas on the beach and Good Sam would not pay! ...So I don't recommend Good Sam!

...Another good idea is to carry a shovel and use those stackable jack pads, which you can stuff under your drive tires to get you out of the sand and or mud! ...AND NEVER "SPIN YOUR TIRES." You will just dig your hole deeper.

Good luck with your tow. I hope these pointers help you.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Tow

When I had my Meridian 34H towed, they came with a flatbed and pulled it right up. No need to disconnect anything. Only needed to worry about low underpass.
Good old Sam paid for everything

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...1&d=1607299384
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeridianTow1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	176135  
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I've never had to have my Class A gasser nor my present DP but in reading the forum for several years I've come across threads that shared good and bad experiences towing there rig. Several such experiences I recall that a tow trucks lifted the front end of the Class A and didn't properly hook it up and damaged them. They all regretted having a tow truck instead of a flat bed. Though, IMHO, that several suggestions are correct on how to tow it to me it still might behoove you to Google it, if you didn't already, for as much info and there's even videos as you can get so you'll be an educated consumer so you may spot issues that the tow truck driver doesn't. There's special low body flat beds to tow busses even DP, etc. That have low ground clearances. If its a regular flat bed it could tear off the back or worse yet damage the engine.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gilb View Post
I need to have my 2002 Winnebago Journey DL towed to a repair facility. Can it be towed, if so, what precautions or procedures need to be taken, or does it need to be loaded on a flatbed. It has to be towed approximately 7 miles. Thanks
I was stuck in the mud in my friends backyard and the RV was not running and needed to be pulled out and towed. I have AAA roadside assist I pay under $10 a month for. I called them and they sent a tow truck to pull me out of the yard and another one to tow my rig to a shop. Can't beat that price and don't have to worry about how to do it. Oh and had only just signed up for AAA so that was very awesome.
winnieslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My first RV, a 2003 Horizon needed towing to a Cummins shop back in 2009. They disconnected the driveline, and towed from the front.

The towing was simple enough, but the tow truck driver was new, took them 4 hours to hook up and get underway, finally had to use my tools to get the u-joint unbolted.

Good Sam paid for all, but I did tell them the full story I hope they didn't get stuck paying for inexperience.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:09 AM   #9
Yonder

Quote:
... just a few more comments...
1. I recommend a lowboy flatbed rather than towing. There are fewer challenges and a reduced risk of damage. The men that towed my '08 Horizon were consummate pros. They couldn't find anything to safely hook on to in front so they winched it up from the rear.

2. I had AAA Platinum tow insurance. They were slow in dispatching the truck (I was in a very rural area and not on an interstate) and I had to pay the bill ($2000) up front but they eventually reimbursed me.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #10

Yonder: Are you saying you put your current Ellipse, 42/43 foot RV, on a flatbed tow truck?

I did not know they make a flatbed that can handle 32,000 lbs+ (CVGR)? ...But now that I do, I will insist on a flatbed if you can verify this is indeed possible?

Or are you saying you flatbed towed some other 32' RV back in the day?

Specifically, I would like to know: What is the biggest/heaviest RV you can flatbed tow?
Old 12-08-2020, 03:26 AM   #11
Yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Yonder: Are you saying you put your current Ellipse, 42/43 foot RV, on a flatbed tow truck?

I did not know they make a flatbed that can handle 32,000 lbs+ (CVGR)? ...But now that I do, I will insist on a flatbed if you can verify this is indeed possible?

Or are you saying you flatbed towed some other 32' RV back in the day?

Specifically, I would like to know: What is the biggest/heaviest RV you can flatbed tow?
I don't know for certain what the biggest, heaviest would be but, based upon my (very unpleasant) experience, I would speculate 'they' could tow any DP; including a 45 ft.

In the case I've mentioned above, it was my former rig, a 40 ft, 2008 Horizon. This was done by a team of very competent pros pursuant to an accident. I had been hit by an 18 wheeler. The bell housing was cracked. The engine would not start. The lowboy was very specialized and fitted with a seriously stout winch that they used to get my DP on board, backwards, in the dark and with the air too depleted to release the brakes.. I was impressed.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #12

Yonder: How would you compare your 2008 Horizon to your Ellipse now? ...Besides it being bigger. ...Is there any comparison?
Old 12-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
We had our 03 Journey towed from Boon Iowa to Central diesel repair (approx 10 miles) cost us $677.
The driver pulled the rear axle and he knew what he was doing. Very professional.
Filed on insurance and was reimbursed.
Gotago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:11 AM   #14
Yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Yonder: How would you compare your 2008 Horizon to your Ellipse now? ...Besides it being bigger. ...Is there any comparison?
Boy, where to start? ... Clearly the Ellipse is an improvement but that improvement comes at a price. The Horizon had a gas cooktop which I greatly preferred and, sadly, it was more user friendly with all the slides in. With slides in, the Ellipse bed is not flat nor is it very usable and other aspects are more difficult to access. Also, the Horizon did not use DEF but I have learned that DEF consumption is not so high, nor is it so big a hassle, as I had anticipated. The Horizon had more closet space for hanging DWs clothes.

The big plusses of the Ellipse are huge. I think the biggest is the Aqua Hot. Wouldn't ever want to be without it again. I did not think I would like the all-electric aspect of the Ellipse but, other than the induction cooktop, I actually really enjoy having no propane ... especially for the refrigerator and tankless WH.

After those there are other things that I clearly prefer about the Ellipse but those are mostly related to the QD floorplan and probably should not be part of a Horizon/Ellipse comparison.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:19 AM   #15
Yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
Boy, where to start? ... Clearly the Ellipse is an improvement but that improvement comes at a price. The Horizon had a gas cooktop which I greatly preferred and, sadly, it was more user friendly with all the slides in. With slides in, the Ellipse bed is not flat nor is it very usable and other aspects are more difficult to access. Also, the Horizon did not use DEF but I have learned that DEF consumption is not so high, nor is it so big a hassle, as I had anticipated. The Horizon had more closet space for hanging DWs clothes.

The big plusses of the Ellipse are huge. I think the biggest is the Aqua Hot. Wouldn't ever want to be without it again. I did not think I would like the all-electric aspect of the Ellipse but, other than the induction cooktop, I actually really enjoy having no propane ... especially for the refrigerator and tankless WH.

After those there are other things that I clearly prefer about the Ellipse but those are mostly related to the QD floorplan and probably should not be part of a Horizon/Ellipse comparison.
I guess I should add a comment about the tag axle. A lot of folks talk about improved stability and how much they like having a Tag. Meh ... my Horizon was stable without a Tag and I really see no significant difference in the rides. Both have the Maxum chassis and were/are a joy to drive.

Floorplan Note: I would never again want a forward kitchen.

Tags
journey, tow, towing, winnebago