Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2006, 07:26 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Ed,

Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't care if you buy a Tiffin, Newell or Prevost.......issues happen with any motorhome and having a great dealer that is close to home base makes the situation much more bearable.

My first coach was bought out of state. When calling the local dealer for service I was told "no problem". Did you buy the coach here? After I said no they "politely" let me know that it would be about 8-12 weeks to get a service appointment. Called gulfstream about the dealer............got in to get service in 10 weeks.

No doubt the tag axle bus is a great machine but it is 40k or so above the vectra's MSRP and that's alot of "fit & finish" to be paying for. I guess my point is the dealer, imho, is just as important as the coach unless you just like driving to red bay for any and all warranty issues.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

BTW-

Hey Rebel, didn't you just get your Vectra this year? Love to know the scoop. You seemed very pleased with it.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
The best would be a Newell or Provost custom made to order.(fit and finish) Oh yeah you can also tow an H2
I don't see a forum for either one at IRV2?, LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ed....welcome back to the Winnebago forum, haven't seen you around in a few weeks...

Sure the "best" would be a Newell or other PrEvost conversion,but who has 1 million to throw around?
You spend that on your Adventurer?

I think your comments were meant "tongue in cheek",so I'll leave it at that...

As you may have seen,we here at iRV2 have heard some suggestions to add a few more "owners" forums and chassis forums,but there's not anyone beating down our door to add a Prevost forum...

My personal favorite, by the way,is a Marathon conversion of the Prevost....My neighbor has a brand new one and is the past President of the Marathon Owners group.....quite a coach!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:
BTW- Hey Rebel, didn't you just get your Vectra this year? Love to know the scoop. You seemed very pleased with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim....the "scoop" you're looking for is in a post of mine on page 1 of this topic...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
I feel buying a coach and using a how close to a repair facility are you going to be says something for the workmanship of a Winnie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, it certainly looks like your 2003 Adventurer on the Workhorse Chassis has suited you well,or you'd have been out of it long ago.....right?

Kudos to Winnebago for building a solid gas motorhome that's stood the test of the market..
Old 06-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Hey Rebel,

Don't know how I skipped right thru that post of yours......lol

What a coach you are buying! I went to the web site to get more pics and wow.....amazing what a couple hundred grand extra will get ya. I really enjoyed reading your Vectra thread and found it very informative and helpful. As a matter of fact, it was one of the reasons that the DW and I decided to move up to a vectra from the journey.

Tiffin's are nice but I simply can't get over the bang for the buck that winnebago gives you and having such wonderful luck with my Journey it's hard not to go back to another winnebago.

I've struggled with the hit I am going to take in April when I sell the Journey but heck, you only live once and in 2007 the wife and I are planning on 3 months each year on the road and the extra space and king bed are just a must.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:
I've struggled with the hit I am going to take in April when I sell the Journey but heck, you only live once and in 2007 the wife and I are planning on 3 months each year on the road and the extra space and king bed are just a must. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've struggled with the hit you're takin. Know THAT feeling!!

I also know that "you only live once" thing too....I must say that losing my Dad late last year and him having been the last of the four of the DW and my parents to go,has had an affect on me...
Hard to explain,maybe those on here "older and wiser" can do that...

All I can say is there's no time like the present to get what you always wanted and to get out there and enjoy it...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Yes, my fellow RV'er the Gasser has served me well, and when I call a dealer and need service they provide it! I have never been asked "did you buy it here?". The longest I had to wait for service was 2 weeks for the inverter and the check valve. I would've replaced them myself but I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty. Does everyone take their Winnebago to Forest City for service? Why would an Allegro owner have to go to Red Bay? There are Allegro Dealers out there.
Believe me my friend you don't know me or what I can or can't afford! So if I were you I would take your mighty ego and drive it down the road!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #29
Administrator Emeritus

Whoa Mr. Ed, as sometimes the written word is misinterpreted, I was not meaning to be disrespectful at all...I guess as long as there are different types of motor homes,there will be the "gas versus diesel" thing, but I can assure you I meant no disrespect....

As far as your "take my motor home to Forest City" dig,apparently laced toward me, I can assure you that "not every person needs to go to Forest City" to get their problem fixed.
If you digress a minute,you "may" remember my issue was an issue with the clear coat on the coach and CDI in Forest City offered to pay my expenses BOTH WAYS for me to bring the coach there,after I offered to take it there....The "alternative" was to have them fly someone out east and lease an uncontrolled paint booth for them to do the work,as my dealer doesn't have the facilities....

I took it out there and had the work done, even made a personal decision to turn down the fuel reimbursement as my buddy and I had detoured a bit on the way out and back...

You had made a dig toward Winnebago owners and even said your next coach list would include the Tiffin.....All I was saying is that your 4 year old Winnebago has served you well.

Not sure whether you're aware of this,but the gasoline powered Class A and Class C line of products from Winnebago are what makes their world go round....

I'm sorry if you thought I was being disrespectful.....wasn't my intent.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Rebel,

Congrats on the new "Home"!!

We have owned Newmar products before and had very good reliability with them. One thing you will notice immediately is the sound level inside the coach is much quieter due to the fact that the walls are not vacuum laminated (the old string and cup syndrome). We noticed that one difference as soon as we slept the first night in the Itasca. Overall, a great experience with the Newmar. We could not justify the overall increase in price difference for the Newmar when we purchased our motorized unit, dollar for dollar, it seemed that the engineering and quality in the Itasca were a better deal (this was late 2003).

On your comment about living life to the fullest, we could not agree more!!!!

Too many people have saved all there time and money only to live a few short months in retirement. We decided to jump the gun and get on with it. Best decision we ever made!!

We go back and forth with selling and upgrading to a bigger coach, or just sticking with this one since we have upgraded all the downfalls (we have added hydronic heat and hot water, a seperate washer and dryer, a third air conditioner, a prosine inverter.....etc.) and the coach lives quite comfortably now.

Good luck, and Happy travels!!!

Cheers!!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

Buck and Jeff, thank you for your kind words....

As I have said NUMEROUS times,in their "price points" the Vectra and Horizon are terrific coaches.