Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the responses! IRV2 saves the day again. Our problem was the exact same and has now been fixed! Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

My right front wheel seal was leaking bad. Replace all the wheel seals at local truck shop. Also replaced the pads/shoes on the front right wheel. Brakes much better now. Next thing tires.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Agree with using PAC brake all the time, except maybe in winter (we travel all year in coach) on icy roads. Only time I turn if off other than that is climbing steep grades when not using cruise control--PAC brake is then counter-productive and leads to engine temp rising too high.

Also agree with not having Winnebago work on chassis--especially with Freightliner warranty still in effect. Same for engine work as that goes to Cummins. Guess I'm fortunate as we have large Freightliner, Cummins and Winnebago shops within 50-85 miles of us along I-25.

Unless whomever works on your coach has extensive frame/chassis shop experience, those front wheel bearings can be neglected. Got this first hand as Winnebago said they and the brakes were fine, but Freightliner jumped down their throat! In the end the Winnebago dealer paid us for some of our out-of-pocket costs given they are safety-related issues.

We bought our coach used as well with 47K miles and it became apparent to me the original owners did not understand or believe in any maintenance let alone the preventative kind. Front wheel bearing oil level was dangerously low, and bearings were loose. Automatic (not really) slack adjusters on all four wheels were shot, brake cams were rusted (loud thud when brakes applied and pulling hard up front), brake air dryer had never been serviced, shocks bad, air ride valves leaking, etc.

Icing on the cake was having our engine EGR valve freeze up (due to excessive idling) while traveling in New Mexico. We spent a week in the Cummins parking lot. All in all, we've sunk an additional $10K-plus into making this coach safe! Quite an education, as we never owned a diesel pusher before.

Bottom line: wish I had insisted on an independent mechanical inspection before I signed on the dotted line! Best of luck to you...
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quicksilver,
Gotta question for you. "Only time I turn if off other than that is climbing steep grades when not using cruise control--PAC brake is then counter-productive and leads to engine temp rising too high.

I'm not sure I get your meaning here. The PAC brake is only in effect if you let off the throttle and, are coasting or, heading down hill correct? So, to me, in climbing a grade, that's going "UP HILL", a PAC brake would not be used or, in effect anyway. So, having the switch in the ON or OFF position makes no difference and, why should it promote over heating if it is not in effect? Since the PAC brake can only go into effect if, your foot is backed off the throttle fully which, is not what you're doing while climbing a grade. And, the PAC brake doesn't disappear if you put the switch in the OFF position, its still there, just not in effect.

And, one more question, what would the cruise control have to do with the PAC brake on a hill? I'm not arguing here, just trying to figure out your statement.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote