Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a 07 or possibly a 08 40FD Tour. After reading some posts on this board I am a bit reluctant about the 400 ISL engine, are there any other engine choices available? We like the floorplan of the 40FD but I have not been able to find out what the CCC is, also how do you like the Tour?

Thanks
Fossilhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a 07 or possibly a 08 40FD Tour. After reading some posts on this board I am a bit reluctant about the 400 ISL engine, are there any other engine choices available? We like the floorplan of the 40FD but I have not been able to find out what the CCC is, also how do you like the Tour?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Fossilhound:

Welcome to the forum . You will find this a great place to acquire information and share your RV experiences.

One of our members, Adrian Lee has the Itasca sister coach and may chime in with his comments/recommendations.

If I was considering purchase of a coach with the Cummins 400 ISL, I'd insist on some verification that the engine in that coach was not built during the time frame in question.

Good luck with your search.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

fossilhound, WELCOME to the forum...

I would wholeheartedly agree with Gary's comments...

If you can ascertain the engine was not built in the 11/05 to 3/06 timeframe,you would be fine...The Tour is a nice coach and the FD is a SWEET floorplan.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Cummins problem was a specific run of engines. We have the 400 hp ISL and it is a wonderful engine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I specifiically opted for the Cummins ISL and it has been a great engine this far (just went cross country with it). Take a look at the CAT website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CATRVCLUB/
and you will see that they have more than their share of problems at the moment. I cancelled a Beaver order giving what I knew about the CAT engines. I wanted the ISL. My previous coach also had a Cummins (ISC) and had been a great engine as well.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

John and Harry, you are BOTH correct...

Cummins has in fact isolated the issue to ISL units manufactured between 11/05 and 3/06 and they've even gone as far as to say the failure will occur in the 500-1300 mile period.

MY ISSUE is with those coaches THEY KNOW have those engines, yet they REFUSE to cause a recall to occur...

My friend lives here near me in Virginia and was on the way back from South Dakota when he experienced his engine coming apart...He was towed to Sioux City, Iowa and has to find a way home.

It is my opinion that Cummins should have more than a "we'll fix it when it breaks" responsibility.

That mentality doesn't sit well with me.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I agree Cummins does make great engines. But I agree that they new of the problem and should have issued a recall. It would have saved us all alot of suffering.
The main reason I'm upset with Cummins now and in the future is how they have took their time in getting ours resolved. Our Coach thru the rod July 14th. It's been a month today. We were at first told the new engine was being shipped Aug. 4th and arrive here the 10th. On the 10th when we called we were told "No, it was just shipped today (10th) and would hopefully arrive here Aug. 15th. Then would take an additional week to a week and a half to put the engine in. Also salvage what they could from the old engine. Then it has to go elsewhere to get the body damage, etc fixed that was caused by the fire.
So I'm very upset with how they deal with their Customers in a situation such as ours.
Hopefully the others will not have to wait as long as we have. Hotel life is really getting old.

Sweet40FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your replies, we both liked what we saw on the dealer's lot. We currently own a 96 34' Bounder but plan on travelling a lot more once I get a chance to work a lot less. That would conincide with the spring of 08 and we plan on having a coach by then. What would be the difference be between the Tour and the Vectra? I noted the same floorplan, a 400 hp engine is standard but everything else seems to be the same.

Fossilhound