Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Our 2012 has a placard that reads "Chassis engine must be running when operating slides". Winnebago put out a service bulletin to that effect some time ago. Our 08 Tour was okay with shore/battery power.

After getting rollers replaced, the coach is going into Lazydays "wet bay" where they shower it with water for 20 minutes. Thanks for the tips on leakage and Forrest City.

Further news tomorrow.

Kerry

Kerry, where is the placard you mentioned? I sure didn't receive any bulletin from Winnebago either.

Both Sunset2C and I have had the slide low volts problem occur WITH the engine running. They did something to fix his (main panel and/or slide travel adjustment) and likewise they apparently fixed mine.

I operate slides without the engine running most of the time because I despise people who start up their diesel at 6 a.m. and sit there idling for an hour while sliding in and putting away hoses, checking lights, hooking up their car, etc. There is something about owning a big motorhome that makes some people have the need to make sure the entire RV park knows they are leaving. I try to let my neighbors go back to sleep as quickly as I can start up, shift into gear, and go. I also won't run the engine while stowing the leveler jacks... they are spring-returned UP so why run the engine?

As to a potential for water leak... the slide locks have a rubber boot around them to capture water that comes in at the top of the lock. This water is supposed to drain out through a 3/16-inch drain tube and 1/8-inch fitting near the top of the slideout adjacent to the latch mechanism. With the slide topper in good shape, rain will very unlikely get into the slide lock unless the wind blows it back under the slide topper... in which case, the amount of rain has to exit the boot through a soda straw size fitting. That's enough risk already but in my coach, the tube from the boot to the fitting was 1/4-inch BELOW the exit fitting AND because of the offset, they kinked the tubing when connecting it to the fitting. The boot then filled up and ran over, running water into the cabinets, down the window and wall, and behind the TV. The offset was corrected at F.C. by using a rotary cutter and elongating the hole for the drain fitting so it could slide down about a quarter inch making the fitting and drain tubing line up. All is well with that except for the eyebrow they left in the paint on the outside of the slide and the fact that a heavy blowing rain will still overflow that boot! If the slide topper gets torn away in a storm, we will have water leaking into our cabinets because the slide lock boots will overflow! That drain cannot possibly keep up with water from a pressure washer or hose end sprayer washing the top of the slide because even 1/2 gal. per hour won't gravity feed through a 1/8-inch straw fast enough... and water won't run uphill either so residual water stays in the boot to rust the lock motor, linkage and pivots, but apparently Winnebago engineers didn't consider that. Mine is not the only coach they did this to and you can be certain there are many others.

The first thing they said to me when I called it in when I had the overflow was that I needed to make sure the fittings were not plugged up. They warn us in the Ops Manual to make sure the drain fittings are clear, but no instructions to clean them out. After I dropped the trim cover (Phillips #2 screwdriver) and saw the kinked hose, I was furious. But because they warn us to check the fittings are clear, it will be our fault when they overflow again. It certainly can't be their design, and they won't take suggestions for adding redundant drains to preclude the water running over into the cabinets.

When washing your rig I recommend cautiously mopping the slide roof top with a towel wrapped around a telescoping scrubber so you can avoid running any significant amount of water into the slide lock cavities. If you hire someone to wash your rig, make sure they don't power wash the slideout roof under the slide toppers. Must not direct water into the lock cavities. Keep your slide toppers in good condition and taut.

I don't know how to get photos inserted just yet but will figure it out and then I'll post/insert some photos that shows the tubing and the drain fitting offset I'm talking about.
bigfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Jim -- you keep this up and I'm going stop feeling so badly about the problems with our coach. It just keeps coming that the Service Center at Winnebago is a big freekin' joke. If the supposed "experts" aren't any good why should we expect anything better from the dealers... except some of the people out here put PRIDE into their work and they actually want to fix our rigs instead of just piss it off.

I had a mirror (the glass) that was loose, and it's still loose... but they signed it off. So far, the only problem with our new camera system is my driver side camera sweats up in a light rain and takes days to clear. My steps rattled like hell, probably that same bolt you mentioned, and they really did fix the rattle and nothing fell off, but they dented/scratched the $100 stainless facade above the steps.

What is the problem with your chassis that you are going to Freightliner?

About that hard pull to the ditch you mentioned that Mike Wiggern laid off on the tires? What did you do to solve that issue? I don't have the problem, but should it occur, I would like to be prepared with possible options. Possibilities: Tire pressure, yes. Belt in tire, no. Brakes not releasing/dragging, yes. Bad wheel bearings, yes. Air bag, yes. But with a new coach such as ours... mostly "no" to these.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

bigfeathers: The placard is right beside the auto level/slide controls. It's white with black letters. It stands out, if you had to ask, it's probably not there. Next time at a dealers/repair shop, ask them to look up the service bulletin. Sorry I don't remember the #.

Lazydays still have not started our roller replacements yet. I guess the rollers must be like fine wine, they have to age first. At this point it's not a lol.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

How much more is there to break?

Bigfeather,

OKaaayyyyy, left rear jack blew this morning. Are we having fun yet? Win. sending new jack, 2 new cameras (style different now so replacing both, new steps, and 2 updated modules for the slides to Myrtle Beach dealership. To be there tomorrow am - we will get there around 1 pm if lucky.

OK, the hard pull to right - Freightliner factory says there were 2 valves to air bags on rear, 1 on front. Earlier design did it this way - changed to 1 in back, 2 in front now. There was too much weight on the tag axle and the valve (replaced at Freightliner in TX) was now loose. Moved the valve to the front so have 2 valves in front/1 in back, changed air bag pressure, weighed coach, now close to max weight on the front so need to run at 120 lbs in the front tires, 90 in all rears. Also aligned it - again. It was toed out. There were a couple more things the tech told us, but I frankly don't remember what they were right now. Took for a test drive - feels good. We will see tomorrow when we leave.

BTW - this is Paula. My decision to buy this coach, so I get to deal with the problems. Plus I have documentation down to a science. Also, Jim is too angry to think about all this any more.

I put together a chronology of issues last night. Of the 4 months on the road, we have had only a 3 week period that we did not have a breakage/going for service/having service. That's pretty bad. Good new? Hopefully, we will have all the problems addressed soon. If we had not had the extended use of the coach, it could have taken years to find all the snafus. Got to find something positive right now.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Paula, My 11 Tiffin was just like the issues you are dealing with but much more in 11 months, so at one year it is gone and bet the new owner does not have an issue. I had near 90 issues repaired in 11 months, but gave up. Good luck to you folks, it stinks to pay so much and have all the issues.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Paula --

What's happening on your end now? I hope for the best news to come because you guys have run the whole front to rear and sideways gamut of things. The air bag valves 2 in front 1 in back or vice-versa doesn't quite add up in my mind but I haven't studied the design and operation of that system... yet!

What's with the updated slide modules? I thought they fixed your slide faults when you were at F.C.?

Keep us posted on your progress. I would like to see your chrological summation of all you've gone through with your coach since new and will tell you about ours when I muster the courage to go back and enumerate our problems.

I'm with Jim, it angers me to almost "the blood boiling point" when I see all of these problems, yours and mine, as well as the problems I learned about from others at F.C. when we were up there. These are all problems that a good quality control AND a massive attitude adjustment at the upper levels of management in Winnebago could easily solve... but I don't think they care so long as they can pass the buck to the component suppliers/manufacturers instead of having to spend Winnebago's money to stand behind the coach, bumper to bumper, themselves.

I've learned what I need to do to get those photos of that slide lock boot drain misalignment uploaded so I'll post them late tonight or early morning.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Photos of the Misaligned/mislocated Slide Lock Boot Overboard Drain Fitting

Here are the photos of the Driver's Side Full Slide front slide lock rubber boot (with royalite cover removed) showing what I discovered after the boot overfilled with water and ran it inside. Luckily we were "home" at the time it occurred so we could use towels to prevent any lasting damage to the interior. It's just a p-poor design in the beginning because that drain fitting will be a perfect gnat or midge nesting place. It pretty much says the design engineers don't use these rigs, and they really don't care that they've designed it to fail. Use caution when washing your rig to avoid water going into the locks cavities per my earlier posts in this thread as to potential water leaks.

Everyone should drop each of the slide lock covers and look to see if the drain tube(s) are running uphill or kinked because my bet is that I'm just the first of a few who have already experienced the problem.

The last photo shows best the relative position of the drain fitting high above the drain tube after I removed the tie strap and disconnected the tube from the fitting. I captured nearly a fourth of a cup of water when I pulled the hose off the fitting... this water would have stayed in the boot forever/until evaporated over time which would lead to accelerated rusting/corrosion of the slide lock and early failure of the motor (most likely a few days or weeks AFTER warranty runs out).

Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

We're coming along. Could not replace the camera, cord appears to have been damaged, so will have it done in FL next week. New jack on.
I was considering your comment re: Win passing blame to other providers of parts. Here is a breakdown of issues with our coach:
Power Gear: autoleveler problems, steps, jacks, modules for slides
Freightliner: air bag, alignment/weight distribution on axles
Winnebago: motor on slides, casters on slides damaging tile, sundry cosmetic issues
Actually, I think our problems were pretty well distributed between all components. There are some minor things I did not include in my breakdown; these are the major ones.
The updated modules contain a 'ghost code' that tells the electronic center to ignore the low voltage errors, allow the slide to continue in/out, and not lock up. I had to grin at the 'ghost code' - I contended all along that this coach is possessed. lol
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #49
Winnebago Camper

I think we both need an Exorcism performed on our coaches. As I am part American Indian I may try to hire a tribal Sharman to purify mine while we are in New Mexico next month. On the other hand, my wife says as much as I've been on the "warpath" about the issues we've had, no self-respecting demons would dare continue to inhabit the machine.

I have some smudges made from cedar and white sage... powerful medicine! I guess I could do a smudge cleansing to see if that helps.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #50
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All newbie to the forum here. We are seriously considering the 2011 42 qd. MY WIFE LOVES THE FLOORPLAN. I am reading the posts here and I am a little concerned about the roller bearing slide problem. Is this on every Tour/Elipse, just selective ones or after so many miles??? If it is repaired does this fix the problem or does it reoccur? This will be our first motor home so I am concerned laying out big money and then having this issue. I realize all coaches have issues.
lablover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

The floor plan is great. I only know about the 2012s. If they were built after June/July the rollers were changed to a different one during contruction. The 2011s may have a different system on them. Seems Win. uses different proucts/suppliers/ each year. I would check with Winnebago directly for an answer. Call Tom Olson at the Winnebago customer service number and he should be able to get the answer for you. Just my 2 cents input - the 2012s have independent front end suspension making for an great ride! It also takes a lot of buffeting effect from high winds on the highway.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Bigfeather,
I have some Am. Indian in my distant past also. Together we should be able to make a good potion of some kind - I said potion because my husband says I am part witch as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2012 Tour 30 foot topper has a gap in the center between the cover and topper vinyle approx 3/4 " collects debris Carefree of Colorado was contacted said operating within design specs, Lazydays removed 6 buckets of debris trapped by the topper. Look at yours this topper is very expensive to replace if it gets torn or stuck when the room is retracted and the warranty expired. Carefree needs to hear from you!
chiroassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

If you start your coach in cold weather the grid heater on the motor pulses on and off for a few minutes till the motor gets warm drawing down chassis battery watch you coach voltmeter you will see it fluctuate in the morning on a cold day. If you fast idle your coach wait till the grid heater stops you should not get a low voltage while sliding in your big slides.
chiroassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover54 View Post
Hi All newbie to the forum here. We are seriously considering the 2011 42 qd. MY WIFE LOVES THE FLOORPLAN. I am reading the posts here and I am a little concerned about the roller bearing slide problem. Is this on every Tour/Elipse, just selective ones or after so many miles??? If it is repaired does this fix the problem or does it reoccur? This will be our first motor home so I am concerned laying out big money and then having this issue. I realize all coaches have issues.
2011 42 QD here. Purchased new (except for transport mileage Winnie to Bend OR) year ago July. 17K miles on it now. Other than slide locks (see different thread) have had no issues with slides, in or out, no floor scuffing, etc. Slides go in our out with or without engine running, with or without shore power. No issues there. Had a few minor issues with electric front door lock, rear/side cameras cutting out intermittently, turn signal (Freightliner part) recently died and had to replace that, (right turn at rear refused to work unless you held the turn signal lever up), and had to have the tach/fuel/electric gauge pod replaced because it was flakey causing fuel gauge to drop to zero (yet another thread under Freightliner). So some little things, some I fixed some the dealer fixed, but no show stoppers. Would buy this coach again. The tag axle really makes a difference driving with side winds and passing trucks, the floor plan is great.

This is our second MH, first one with a tag. Before the MH era it was 5th wheel and before that a gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters. I think with all recreational vehicles and especially one as complex as a MH, things will go wrong. If you expect everything to be perfect forever, better sit on the couch instead! Depending on coach, some tend to be better than others but even the good guys can make a screwed up coach at times. The dealer, the factory, support forums like IRV2, and being handy with average tools will help.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #56
Winnebago Master

This site has been so valuable to us over the last 2.5 years and two previously owned Winnebago products. Many thanks to all. We are picking up our 2013 Tour 42QD soon from the factory and we are so very exited. This is our composed list of items to check Based on prior issued experienced by my IRV2 friends:

Access to house battery's?
Slide motor locking up?
Air bag failure. Leaky tag axle.
Alternator failure.
Jack failure.
Slide roller failure.
Interior lights going out.
Aqua hot system failure.
San-t-flush leaking in basement
Slide lock boots dripping water into the overhead cabinets.
Patio awning not retracting.
Air horn failure.
Low voltage to the long slide

Any additional information or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swells14534 View Post
After 3 months of researching and test driving, we have made the 2012 Tour the finalist. We love the layout but only test drove it for 5 miles. We would like to hear experiences driving the rig extended distances and issues they needed repaired during the first year. Thanks.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

You must have the bedroom slide out to lower the bed. Has never been a problem for us. One can sleep on the bed (as the other drives!) and one can sleep on the couch, which actually, is very comfortable (so you can sense, I get the couch, she gets the bed!) The bedroom slide only pertrudes about 18", so it can still be done in tight quarters.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #58
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the response. I realize that they all have issues but I was seeing a reocurring theme in the 2012's. moving up from a 5th wheel as well, a little nervous as this is a big step and lots of dough.
lablover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
This site has been so valuable to us over the last 2.5 years and two previously owned Winnebago products. Many thanks to all. We are picking up our 2013 Tour 42QD soon from the factory and we are so very exited. This is our composed list of items to check Based on prior issued experienced by my IRV2 friends:

Access to house battery's?
Slide motor locking up?
Air bag failure. Leaky tag axle.
Alternator failure.
Jack failure.
Slide roller failure.
Interior lights going out.
Aqua hot system failure.
San-t-flush leaking in basement
Slide lock boots dripping water into the overhead cabinets.
Patio awning not retracting.
Air horn failure.
Low voltage to the long slide

Any additional information or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all.
Hello Jesse,

Are you actually going to the Factory to pick up your Tour QD? We are leaving Tuesday morning to fly up to the Factory. We bought it at Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City. It was just delivered to Lichtsinn last Thursday. We can not wait to drive it back to AZ. We bought the Ellipse 42QD. Maxed it out with every option.

Good Luck with your NEW Tour.

Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #60
Winnebago Camper

Smile

jbmsr,

From my experience and what I found out the hard way :-)
Slide motors all have the update now
New rollers being used so tile not damaged
Power Gear is not supplying the autoleveler, jacks, slide modules now
Low voltage should not be an issue due to not using Power Gear

Interior lights I can't address. Winn. Fac replaced several fixtures, haven't had problems since. They may be using different fixtures now also.

Everything said, Winnebago still makes the most solid coach available. And they do learn from problems encountered. Congratulations on the new coach, and hope you have many safe, happy miles with it.