Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Total Roof Replacement Help Request

Yesterday while my local RV shop was repairing hail damage received in April they found a cut/slit in the roof close to the sky light. Notes....The hail storm just was in central Florida around the Sebring/Avon Park area. NWS estimated the winds to be above 70 MPH and hail stones were 2-3 inch in size. Over 500 homes in my community has roof damage including my motorhome. At times the hail was coming down and blowing so hard you could not see more that 10 feet in front of you. We still had piles of ice the next morning even in the hot weather.

My local RV shop says the damage will require a full roof replacement because of the water damage under the skin. I am waiting on the Progressive catastrophe adjuster to arrive to look at this additional damage. They were here once in early April for the other damage. Local Progressive adjusters do not handle catastrophe claims. They have several adjusters in the area at this time because of all the hail damage.

I am looking for advice on where to have the roof replaced in the central Florida area. We live 60 miles south of Lakeland Florida in Avon Park, Florida. I have no experience with any repair location for major repair.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I suggest keeping the rig covered for the time being . Not sure I'd make any moves or take action until Progressive weighs in on what they are going to do and where they stand.

I had good luck dealing with La Mesa in Sanford on roof issues several years ago, and fair results with Lazy Days in Tampa. But there are a bunch of service places all around central FL

Just thinking?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

look at reviews for the different repair facilities. Ask the Adjuster if he has a recommendation. Call Progressive. I called them for glass breakage and they recommended a place that accepted their insurance. I looked up the reviews and will be using them.

Repair places that have been in business for a long time have reviews on-line.

My roof replacement in 2014 for our 2008 Winnebago was #$19,000 and Progressive came through like a champ it is.,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might tell the shop that plastic RV roofing material, Filon, is available on Amazon for $1,000 per roll for a 30 foot long roll, 8.5' wide.

I've read several DIY accounts of changing the roof and that might require some structural repairs but it's not that difficult of a job. I'd say 2 guys working on it for 6 hours per day could have it done in 3-4 days. What I don't recall is how they bent the flat Filon so it rolled over the edges...I can't remember. Maybe with heat guns?

Anyway, just giving this info so when you talk to a shop, they won't be trying to snow you. Or let the insurance company pick who does the job as they often have the knowledge to know who's good and who isn't. But if you get a bad vibe from the shop (I'd always go and talk to the shop before such a big job), check with RVServiceReviews and other review sites.

Good luck, sorry about your roof.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had RV Flex Armor replace our water damaged roof, on our 1997 Winnebago Warrior. This was long term damage so we paid out of pocket. It took approximately 3 days. The cost was 1/3 of what RV dealership wanted. We took our unit to Atlanta, from Virginia, due to scheduling. Extremely pleased. The roof comes with a Lifetime Transferrable Warranty. It is registered to the RV VIN. Within a few hours of picking up our RV, we hit several torrential thunderstorms, no leaks. We spent the wettest Monsoon Season, in Tucson, without issues. Worth the cost to protect our RV.
Usaswimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #6
1996 Itasca 29Q

After the adjuster has a look I would put a piece of Eternabond tape over the cut for the short term until the repairs can be made~
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Roof Repair

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am visiting the Flex Armour location in Palmetto, Florida next week. All reviews look good. After the visit I will decide on the location. Winnebago wants 15K just for a new roof plus shipping and then install.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
What I don't recall is how they bent the flat Filon so it rolled over the edges...I can't remember. Maybe with heat guns?
After watching many AZ Expert videos on this, there's no heat involved, the Filon is very thin and flexible as long as it's only bending in one direction. After the top is glued down, he trims the edges to exactly the right width and just pops it into place in the extrusion. Trimming it too short would be catastrophic.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof