Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tool to remove hubcap on 2007 Voyage

I recently purchased new tires all around for my Motorhome. The tire place said I should have a tool to remove the hubcaps. It kind of looks like a socket needed but not a regular socket. Let me preface this by I am a solo female RVer so dont always have the lingo correct. Does anyone know what I am talking about as I would like to order the removal tool but need to know what it is called.

thanks for any help

karen
OregonLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

OregonLuvr, here is a link to a picture of the jam nut installation tool.

Dicor V22501-TOL Jam Nut Installation Tool : Accessories
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The rear hubcaps could be held on by a big center bolt.

The wrench could look like the wench linked above or it could look like a big hoop on one end and a handle on the other end...a big box wrench...kinda like a water filter wrench (often confused).
Like: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/freig...aps-77511.html
This is about Freightliner...but common to Alcoa rims on gassers too.

And...beware...the passenger side hubcap is probably threaded in reverse, so it is Righty-losey NOT Lefty-losey. It is that way because of axle rotation to prevent inadvertently getting lose.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

That Dicor tool is a crappy sheetmetal socket. I went to NAPA and bought a 1 9/16 socket for $23. It's a 3/4" drive socket, so you need a 3/4 to 1/2 and then a 1/2 to 3/8 drive converters and a long extension for your 3/8" drive ratchet. The converters are cheap at AutoZone/O'Rielly's. I had to use my impact wrench to get the rear fasteners off they were so tight. The Dicor tool would have broken.

I tried to buy that 1 9/16 socket at AutoZone, but they only had a 1 1/2 or 1 5/8. Nothing in between. If this is confusing, I can take a picture of my setup.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much everyone Now I know what I need to carry. The tire place had a heck of a time getting that part off. But they did it just thought it would be easier if I was to have an issue on the road if I had my own proper tool. Thanks again

karen
Old 01-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Karen, if you're still following your post allow me to add the following:

Technically these are called "wheel liners" and not "hub caps" or "wheel covers" mentioned just so you sound knowledgeable when speaking with a service person.

Winnebago, in it's infinite wisdom, supplies the cheap/junk stamped T-handle wrench tool mentioned. The shaft on mine twisted three times around the first time I attempted to remove the two wheel liner nuts which hold them on, now thrashed and useless except as scrap metal.

I had to remove one front and rear as I had dropped a tire pressure sensor behind each one. Fortunately my camping neighbor had an 3/4" drive socket set which had the 1 5/8" socket mine required. Now note: the 1 9/16" socket fit the non removable able decorative nuts. the two which you need to remove have two dimples on them to indicate to only twist off these two and not destroy the wheel liner. Perhaps your dimpled two are 1 9/16", not mine.

Sorry this is so long. Agonized finding a socket of either size that wasn't $20.00 plus for one, searched everywhere without success until just last week. Tractor Supply has either size for $9.88. snapped it up. It is 3/4" drive so you will need a socket adapter to fit an 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar. Harbor Freight has the adapters as a set for $4.99. A quick check shows four locations in Oregon. Verify a 3/4" to 1/2" is included.

You should seriously invest in a tire pressure monitor system where this proper size socket will be handy and you really should carry a complete socket set of 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2' drive along with wrenches and screwdrivers and pliers for on the road repairs. Many various items will require repair and/or adjustment. While you may not be able to fix it having the proper tools for someone who can assist you "could" be invaluable.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you need the above and more when venturing out, ie, flares safety vest etc. This is a rolling house on wheels whose systems bounce around and experience temperature extremes along with dust and water intrusion.

I rode motorcycles for years [100,000 miles plus] and admired the solo women who rode, You just need to know things do break. Don't be apprehensive, just prepared the best you can. .... and don't forget to enjoy yourself.

Thirty six years enjoying RV'ing.

John
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Wheel Liners, also called "simulators" (because they simulate more expensive alloy rims) are full-wheel covers and can be held in place by spring clips around the edge cover's edge...no wrench needed to remove. Examples here:
Wheel Masters: Wheeliners

The caps that only cover the axle hub, typically used on alloy wheels, and held on by a center bolt or the wheel's bolt covers are called Hub Caps or Axle covers:
Wheel masters: Stainless Steel Axle Covers

We are not affiliated with Wheelmasters...just using their product line to explain.

Safe travels
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much I am going to obtain some of the tools mentioned

thanks again
karen
Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago uses the Velvac wheel simulators which are held on with the 2 nuts as described above.
They don't use the type described by Scarab.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

To clarify, my wheelcovers are the 19.5" Dicor Versa Liner Simulators. A 1 5/8 socket was to big to remove the 2 nuts that hold them to the wheel stud. The 22.5" whell may be different. You can always return the socket if it's not the right size. I did not try to remove the non-removable fake nuts. I can't find a Velvac wheel sumulator on an internet search or on the Velvac website and I'm not familiar with the Voyage as I have a Workhorse chassis.

This is a Dicor, note the emblem in the center:

Old 01-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Winnebago uses the Velvac wheel simulators which are held on with the 2 nuts as described above.
They don't use the type described by Scarab.
Wheels (rims) and wheel dressings (covers and simulators) come with the chassis for each RV - right?
Unless you-all are saying that Winnie buys ONLY the basic steel wheels on all chassis' and uses their own aftermarket covers (no alloys offered)
This 2007 Voyage has Alcoa rims = axle caps:
http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Gene...-33V-116152759
We are not affiliated with the RVtrader seller.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My mistake they're Dicor. The alloy wheels were optional on gas motor homes and some DPs. I'm on my 2nd Winnebago 1 a Ford based gasser and 1 Freightliner DP. Both came with the stainless steel simulators.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonLuvr View Post
I recently purchased new tires all around for my Motorhome. The tire place said I should have a tool to remove the hubcaps. It kind of looks like a socket needed but not a regular socket. Let me preface this by I am a solo female RVer so dont always have the lingo correct. Does anyone know what I am talking about as I would like to order the removal tool but need to know what it is called.
thanks for any help
karen
OregonLuvr
A light duty T-handle socket tool, (which fits the jam nuts used to hold simulated wheel covers on), should should be used when tightening the jam nuts.
(If that T-hande tool is used to tighten the jam nuts it will also be strong enouh to remove the jam nuts when the time comes to remove the simulated wheel covers).

Either that T-handle tool, or a regular socket wrench of the correct size, will work for both removal and for installation....however care must be taken when using a regular socket wrench for installation...(to insure that the jam nuts are not over tightened).

in this video a T-handle wrench is used when installing a stainless steel wheel simulator:
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage