Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Arrived at the dealer, Holiday World Of Houston (South) at 11:00 hours, and departed at 1930 hours with 1/2 hour for lunch break. Had a good walk through with all my questions answered, or other technical help gotten to answer them. Found some small minor issues that were corrected, and two that I will return for warranty work. I traded the 3400RL for the Destination 39W

The one thing I will never do again is transfer from one unit to the other at the dealer. I should have unpacked everything at the stick house and gone home with a clean Destination and then organized everything. Well, we are retired so we have time to get everything in place.

Not a whole lot different then driving a 40 foot 5er with an F350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed. Tail swing is just a little different.

I was concerned with backing it into the driveway as there is a 16" drop until the last four feet, then an additional 7" drop. With only 15 inches from the lower part of the hitch to the ground I was sure I would scrape. Everything went smooth with no scrape.

Sales person with me said there would be a lot of stress on the front jacks if I tried leveling it. He also said that everything could be operated with it parked nose down 16 inches.

Any comments on that would be appreciated.

Drove good. A little more creaks and groans then I'm used to, but hey, it's a bus!!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Arrived at the dealer, Holiday World Of Houston (South) at 11:00 hours, and departed at 1930 hours with 1/2 hour for lunch break. Had a good walk through with all my questions answered, or other technical help gotten to answer them. Found some small minor issues that were corrected, and two that I will return for warranty work. I traded the 3400RL for the Destination 39W

The one thing I will never do again is transfer from one unit to the other at the dealer. I should have unpacked everything at the stick house and gone home with a clean Destination and then organized everything. Well, we are retired so we have time to get everything in place.

Not a whole lot different then driving a 40 foot 5er with an F350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed. Tail swing is just a little different.

I was concerned with backing it into the driveway as there is a 16" drop until the last four feet, then an additional 7" drop. With only 15 inches from the lower part of the hitch to the ground I was sure I would scrape. Everything went smooth with no scrape.

Sales person with me said there would be a lot of stress on the front jacks if I tried leveling it. He also said that everything could be operated with it parked nose down 16 inches.

Any comments on that would be appreciated.

Drove good. A little more creaks and groans then I'm used to, but hey, it's a bus!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Congrats!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sales person with me said there would be a lot of stress on the front jacks if I tried leveling it. He also said that everything could be operated with it parked nose down 16 inches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Newer refrigerators supposedly are not as sensitive to being out of level as older ones, but I'm not sure I would be comfy with that much difference end to end.

As to "stress on the leveling jacks," baloney -- that's what they are for!! It likely will have the front wheels off the ground to get level -- IF it can get level with 16" difference. We sometimes have our front tires a little off the ground in RV parks (like the one we are in now). We don't like it much, but it works fine.

If it were my drive and I would be parking the rig there for long, continually or often, I would create some wood ramps I could run the front tires up on to get it level. If I wanted put the jacks down, I would then put some wood blocks under the jacks after the tires were up on the ramps, and run the leveling jacks as normal. Then with a good solid step at the door you would be ready to get out and in of your level coach easily!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yup - ditto what Paul says! In fact my front wheels are currently off the ground by about three or four inches. Don't like it, but sometimes that's the only choice. At our last house, the coach always had its front wheels off the ground while parked there.

The big issue with getting the nose that far off the ground is that %#&@ mud flap - be sure and pull it forward (forward for us) so it won't get smashed when the tail squats down.

One useful tidbit about maneuvering the coach we learned in driving school (at Lazydays in Seffner, Fl) was the 'hip rule.' When judging when to begin your turn, roll forward until your hips are a little forward of your intended turn.

Welcome to the Class A world and let us know if you have more questions.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Congratulations on your new coach. Many happy and safe miles.

As my other two friends stated, 16 inches is a lot to be out of level. The ramps,while they may be a pain , seems to be the easiest solution. I would definetly want to get it close to level one way or another.

Let us know how you solve your problem, That is why we have the forum to hear of problems and their solution. Having a problem is not the problem. Fixing it is. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Use the jacks to level the rig. Also, I would not run the refrigerator that out of level. Make sure you have the rear wheels well chocked and I would not lift the front tires off the ground. Make a ramp to lift the tires some.

I wonder where the dealers find these "experts" to hire?

Hope you get to hit the road soon.

ken
Old 08-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I also would not operate the refigerator with it that far out of level. I have built wooden ramps out of 2 x 12 's stagger stacked (so I can back up on them) for the right side of my coach (the drive way slopes across the drive and when I park, two of the ramps are under the back wheels (duals) and one under the front wheel.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It's amazing how intelligent minds think alike. Yes, I had decided to go with ramps and as soon as my retired lazy streak disappears, and I get a "'Round Tuit'" I'll build the ramps. But I will tell you I am not looking forward to it.

I would not run a refrigerator that uses the ammonia process to cool. Typically they need to be within 1/4 bubble for good operation. My storage unit is flat and I'll hook up there a couple days before tripping and get it cold. Place some ice in the freezer, and a bucket of ice in the refer to keep it cool while we load it at the stick house, and turn it on when we start rolling..

John, no problem driving the "box." The 40' fiver with F350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed was longer than the Destination. My only concern was the tail swing. I backed it into the drive way without any problems. I was concerned that the bottom of the hitch receiver (15" from Ground) would rub on the drive way, but my entrance from street side was angled enough to preclude that. Once in it was easy to pull forward and straighten out the SKI-mobile.

Darn! Got rid of the F350 and now I have to go get some wood! Hey! Neighbor!

Thank you all for your good advice. I'm a quick learner. This is not my first rodeo.