Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tires—Age or miles?

We have a Winnebago Adventurer. Bought 2 years ago- tires were 2016 and 2017 and we have put 10,000 miles on them. When not in use, this Class A sits outside in the sun.
Thoughts?
Thank you!
Glen & Patty Sapp
Pattysapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have never worn out a set of tires on an RV as they are good for 50,000 or more and I've never got there. But what I do watch is somewhat related to age but I look at the conditions far more.
A tire that sets in the Texas sun will "age" far quicker than one which sets in moderate temps in a covered and enclosed storage unit. So when I know the tires are getting some age near six or more, I do some looking at how they are aging. I can see what tires are doing like getting cracks but if that was out of my line of experience, a trip by the tire shop is always a good option and they are far more expert at spotting things that I can't.
So I find it is like most things we do. We need to know the recommendations and then apply some knowledge of our personal situation to get closer to the right answer.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The question really should be age or tread depth, but at 4 years old (assuming that's the manufacture date stamped on the tire), your tires should be fine.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I remember that the Michelin Tire Guide says 'annual inspections at 7 years - replace at 10 years.' Proper inflation and tire covers should help get best use / value.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Parking on concrete will age your tires as well. The rubber and the lye don’t like each other.
If you’re on concrete, just put a 24” square of plywood under each corner.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I basically agree with all the previous tips you received. I would add a couple of nuggets I gleaned while researching new shoes for our baby.

We love websites with customer service #s. We called the Michelines, Toyos, Goodrichs, etc. before settling on Cooper's. (Subject of prior post)

Common denominators. Protect your tires from UV and ozone. (i.e. tire covers) UV protectant is compounded into the tire when moulded. Sunlight gradually neutralizes the UV protectant in the tires surface layer and breaks down the rubber. Water seeps through the tiny cracks and begins corroding the steel belts. Protecting your tires retards this process. I use tire covers and 303. The latter is like going to church, pure faith.

Additionally, the svc reps tell me, tires are like things mechanical and knuckle dragging old main space engineers -- they need to be exercised. Rolling them down the road flexes the rubber and causes the UV compound to migrate to the surface. How far? Responses varied, but 50 - 75miles per month seems ball park.

Personally, between trips, I fire the Cummins up at least every two weeks - usually every week - and roll Miss Winnie down the road for twenty minutes, then turn for home. 40 - 45 minutes total. Tires flexed, coolant up to temp, wet hubs lubed, trans and engine warm enough to boil off condensate. Life is good. Oh, and practice backing up that 275 ft "s" curved driveway. 😉

With all that, I am still leery of exceeding the ten year span. We get into some lonely places, often with no cell coverage.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Tires—age or miles...responses!

Thanks for all of your replies! You were all very helpful!
Pattysapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

5-7 years

I was told by multiple sources, including truck mechanics (non-rv), and was told that tires should be replaced after 5-7 years. Even though I had plenty or tread depth, mine were 6 years old and there was some slight cracking on a front sidewall So I replaced all six tires. I went to a truck shop and had all 6 done with Sumitomo tires fro $2100 vs. the $3500 I was quoted at the RV dealer.
Chonkbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
RVCalypso

Assuming the tread is good I would be looking at the sidewalls. I have read that age is not what it use to be (5 years and replace.) If the tread looks good and the tires are 7-8 years old or newer, I would look at the sidewalls or better yet have a tire store give you an opinion.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don't think you can go wrong by following OldChinaHand's excellent advice. Pretty much what I do with the exception of driving every two weeks. I normally do it once a month or less depending on conditions. Most diesel farm equipment sits for 9 months or more every year and fires right up when called for, and still gives decades of use even with the low number of hours.

I do use tire covers and wood under the tires if it's a long stay. More than a month. And keep them 10 years.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires