Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

It would really surprise me to find a diesel pusher that did not have an access panel above the engine. It could be under the bed or in a rear closet. It may take some poking around to find it though.

But, hey, it is your RV, and if you say there is no access panel after searching hard to find one, then that must be correct.

About oil change: the oil filter and drain plug should be accessible from under the engine. No need to pull the radiator to change the engine oil and/or transmission fluid.

About the air filter, there should be a glass indicator viewable just inside the rear access panel showing if the air filter needs to be replaced.

From the online info I have see about replacing the air filter, there the air filter is NOT located in a place that would require the radiator to be replaced.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
It would really surprise me to find a diesel pusher that did not have an access panel above the engine. It could be under the bed or in a rear closet. It may take some poking around to find it though.

But, hey, it is your RV, and if you say there is no access panel after searching hard to find one, then that must be correct.

About oil change: the oil filter and drain plug should be accessible from under the engine. No need to pull the radiator to change the engine oil and/or transmission fluid.

About the air filter, there should be a glass indicator viewable just inside the rear access panel showing if the air filter needs to be replaced.

From the online info I have see about replacing the air filter, there the air filter is NOT located in a place that would require the radiator to be replaced.
thanks for your help. the back part of my rig is a Bathroom. on the floor is a hatch for the house batteries. Towards the back where many Moho's have a closet is my washer and dryer combo. I see the glass indicator. Thanks for telling me what it's for. LoL. I didn't know. But that Air filter sits behind a metal bottomless half cube (a cube with two walls, no bottom, hard to get to from the top. It sit's in my DEF chamber/nook. I'll have to inspect it more.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I've read some of the posts. Changing the oil shouldn't be any different than your DDs. I do my own. Just more oil and a bigger filter. Yup, you crawl under it like your DDs. I have a side rad, wouldn't think a rear rad would make a difference for oil anyway. I use a 6qt funnel and 5 gal jug of oil. Mine takes 6gals.

My diesel lawn mower has the same glass indicator for the air filter..... There's a glass indicator on the MH for the coolant level too, at least on my rig. Ours are different.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #24
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
I've read some of the posts. Changing the oil shouldn't be any different than your DDs. I do my own. Just more oil and a bigger filter. Yup, you crawl under it like your DDs. I have a side rad, wouldn't think a rear rad would make a difference for oil anyway. I use a 6qt funnel and 5 gal jug of oil. Mine takes 6gals.

My diesel lawn mower has the same glass indicator for the air filter..... There's a glass indicator on the MH for the coolant level too, at least on my rig. Ours are different.
wow. a diesel lawn mower? Is it a riding lawn mower? My deck is a 54 incher. I wanted a 60 but got a great deal on this one. Anyway. I found yesterday after poking around that doing an oil change shouldn't be a problem. Thank God. But that air filter is a different story. I'll have to see if I can change that air filter out from Underneath the back end. I'll let y'all know. thanks.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
wow. a diesel lawn mower? Is it a riding lawn mower? My deck is a 54 incher. I wanted a 60 but got a great deal on this one. Anyway. I found yesterday after poking around that doing an oil change shouldn't be a problem. Thank God. But that air filter is a different story. I'll have to see if I can change that air filter out from Underneath the back end. I'll let y'all know. thanks.
I have a Kubota zero turn with a 33hp 3 cylinder diesel. 72" deck. It's a beast! Yes u can walk on the deck. It's thick steel... I can mow 15 acres in about 4hrs.

I got lucky having a side radiator wasn't really looking for one. Everything is out in the open. Had a pic, must have deleted it.
SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:58 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
well the radiator is blocking EVERYTHING. The motor sits right behind it. No way to get to the air filter or anything else regarding the motor.
I guess they must have moved the air filter then lol. Only thing behind the radiator to ever worry about is the serpentine belt...but thats easy enough to replace every 6 or 7 years.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #27
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
I have a Kubota zero turn with a 33hp 3 cylinder diesel. 72" deck. It's a beast! Yes u can walk on the deck. It's thick steel... I can mow 15 acres in about 4hrs.

I got lucky having a side radiator wasn't really looking for one. Everything is out in the open. Had a pic, must have deleted it.
Wowwie. What a beast. Yeah I barely have an acre in the city. We were lucky, it's hard to find 1 acre plots in big cities nowadays. So my riding lawn mower is great for the job, but it's overkill. lol. but gosh, I'd love to have what you have for our little 14 acre farm.
Well it's close to 70F here (S.Tx) so I crawled around underneath my rig. I'm much more confident I can do the job myself. I also noticed that my air filter is Perpendicular to the actual ground, so I may be able to just Slide the old air filter out of the metal housing via a Nut that's holding the resting plate (that the filter sits on when in the housing) in place. I hope I'm right.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Oil Change

If you have a Speedco near you you could take it there. I have my oil and filter changed at ours and it was only $192.00 and that included inspection and lube.
rmspangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Do it yourself. Start to learn your rig and save a ton of money.. Air filter? Sounds like you have it covered. Same style on my mower, lol l..14 acres, no problem . Knock it out in a hurry Out first stop, N IL. 55 as we speak. I'll take it. Snow is way behind us. Life is good...
Old 03-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

A lot of us have been changing oil on our cars since we were 16, if not before. Techs? Lol. We were/ are shade tree mechanics. Dont need no stinkin tech to do an oil change. But I suppose that's what they call the kids at these quick lubes too....lol
Old 03-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #31
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
A lot of us have been changing oil on our cars since we were 16, if not before. Techs? Lol. We were/ are shade tree mechanics. Dont need no stinkin tech to do an oil change. But I suppose that's what they call the kids at these quick lubes too....lol
Well I didn't know it was as simple as changing the oil in a car. I mean Freightliner wants $800 and Cummins wants $700. So I thought it was more complex, but obviously it's not. Anyway, I bought the oil (prescribed by cummins, Valvoline premium blue heavy duty. Tractor supply Co. was running a special for 11.99 a gall) for $91 (7 gal. + tax), I bought the oil filter (LF9009 for $42), then the fuel filter ($24) and the fuel/water separator ($30) oh and the Air Filter ($124). So before I even get under the Rig, I spent $311. But most oil changes don't include an air filter change, so I could have come away with $187, before getting underneath that bus.
Now Just oil and oil filter alone were $136 (in materials), so I don't get those folks that say: " I did mine for $80." If your rig takes 26 quarts or 6 and 1/2 gallons, Then, NO you didn't pay $80 for it. Even if they get the Super Tech oil from Wal-mart at 9.97 a gallon, they'll be paying $75 and that's WITHOUT an oil filter. My operator manual says to change the oil filter each time you change the oil.
So if you go to Cummins for $650-700 they'll change your oil, oil filter, fuel and water separator filter, and fuel filter. If you go to Freightliner they'll change your oil, oil filter, fuel and water separator filter, fuel filter AND air filter for $800, and lube your chassis.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Dang. Didnt realize air filters were so expensive . I think mine needs to be changed. I'll look at it tomorrow. My check engine message came on and a ear piercing alarm. All gauges looked fine.

Definitely change oil filters anytime the oil is changed. I use the same filter.

Ya they want us to believe that general maintenance is rocket science. Trouble is, too many people fall for it. Unless a person has deep pockets, that's not me, a ton of money can be saved with a little DIY.....
Old 03-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

No one greases my chassis like I do...but Speedco can do it and oil and all 3 filters for around $300, no air filter. Cummin & Freightliner are pretty pricey options.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #34
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Dang. Didnt realize air filters were so expensive . I think mine needs to be changed. I'll look at it tomorrow. My check engine message came on and a ear piercing alarm. All gauges looked fine.

Definitely change oil filters anytime the oil is changed. I use the same filter.

Ya they want us to believe that general maintenance is rocket science. Trouble is, too many people fall for it. Unless a person has deep pockets, that's not me, a ton of money can be saved with a little DIY.....
yeah, it varies. Mine comes with the housing. So filter+housing. I'm sure the filter alone would be less, but in mine the filter is attached to the housing.
I bought mine at Freightliner directly. Napa, Autozone and Advance Autoparts wanted around $270!!!
Old 03-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I am not in your league, but I long learned that crawling under anything to change oil was the hard way. I use an 'extractor' that acts similar to a Doc running a hose down your windpipe. Pump-pump ...out it comes. If there is a hole to put oil in - it can be the same one it comes out, no?

Mine is probably 20yrs old, I did have to replace the operating part once. I am sure there are electrics for those who don't like to pump.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #36
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
No one greases my chassis like I do...but Speedco can do it and oil and all 3 filters for around $300, no air filter. Cummin & Freightliner are pretty pricey options.
wow, sounds like a good deal. But here in Tx, speedCo partners with Love's, and they only work on Commercial trucks.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
yeah, it varies. Mine comes with the housing. So filter+housing. I'm sure the filter alone would be less, but in mine the filter is attached to the housing.
I bought mine at Freightliner directly. Napa, Autozone and Advance Autoparts wanted around $270!!!
Boy, that sure doesnt sound right. You would think all you would need is the fiter, not the whole housing. If what you say is right, what a money making rip off....

I'll be needing a filter b4 we leave, I hope your wrong...😳 I need to do some digging b4 purchasing and see if my filter pulls out.....
Old 03-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
wow, sounds like a good deal. But here in Tx, speedCo partners with Love's, and they only work on Commercial trucks.

I know I am jumping in late here. My coach is the little sister to yours. I change my own oil and filters. I know the ISL is laid out different but with every coach I have had the oil came out and went back in in the same manner. The oil filter can be a challenge but with the correct tool even that can be changed. As far as the air filter goes, I do that one too. You need to replace the total canister. Access can be from a side door and from under. I can't say without seeing your rig. I run Royal Purple in all my motors. The generator is no big deal to work on. I believe yours is on slides so that you have easier access than I do. You can even change the belt on yours because of this.

My batteries are under the basement slide tray. Easy to get to but a pain to lift out. I'll be going to Nissan Leaf Gen 2 crash packs this summer. (Rabbit trail of topic.)

Everything you need to do the job yourself is available. Persistence on your part to figure it out is all that is missing .Don't forget to clean the screens on the end of the drain tubes for the heat pumps from time to time and the drain ports for the slide locks.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 03-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Silly me. I thought at a glance the end came off. Nope. Beed to repkace it all. They call it a "spin on" cleaner. I see nothing spin on about, they talk how quick and easy it is to install. Ya sure...... Although, while inspecting the filter I found 2 broke ground wires........ uugghh..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200305_094554.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	173022  
Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 AM   #40
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Boy, that sure doesnt sound right. You would think all you would need is the fiter, not the whole housing. If what you say is right, what a money making rip off....

I'll be needing a filter b4 we leave, I hope your wrong...😳 I need to do some digging b4 purchasing and see if my filter pulls out.....
Oh man, pls do. Maybe we can learn something from eachother. I looked for a filter alone, but when the guy came out with the part prescribed by freightliner and cummins, I saw that it was actually encased and built into the hausing. Oh well, 129 (w/taxes) is better than 270. LOL.

Tags
cummins