Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Tire Pressure Monitoring systems (TPMS)

I've been shopping for a TPMS for a couple week now and my head is spinning. There are a lot of systems out there, but I haven't been impressed to buy a system yet. The price isn't as important to me as my list of preferences, with reliability and accuracy being the most important.

1. User replaceable batteries, with ~5yr service life. (that's kinda typical).
2. I prefer external devices for ease of access and replacement.
3. I need an audible system that sounds off when my programmed pressure and temps have been exceeded. It also should have a visual alert as well. The monitor also needs to automatically come on when I turn on the ignition, so I don't forget to turn it on.
4. I want a nice display that not to big, but lets me monitor up to 10 wheels, 6 on my RV and 4 on a toad or trailer. I'd like to see all tire pressures and temperatures at once, not have to scroll through 10 screens to see every tire.
5. It needs to be reliable for a 65' distance, to reliably read tires from the trailer/toad. Repeaters are OK.
6. I've seen some of the new Bluetooth devices that use a phone for the display, but I don't want to use my phone for this function and remember to launch an app every time I travel.
7. Each sensor must be accurate, hopefully proven over time by many truckers or RV'rs.

So the reason I'm posting this is to get your input on what you're using, and if you like the one you bought. Are my preferences reasonable? Is there a system out there that's proven reliable? Is there the "go to standard" system everyone is using? Who's been manufacturing TPM systems the longest? Or are all these companies about the same?
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
I've been shopping for a TPMS for a couple week now and my head is spinning. There are a lot of systems out there, but I haven't been impressed to buy a system yet. The price isn't as important to me as my list of preferences, with reliability and accuracy being the most important.

3. I need an audible system that sounds off when my programmed pressure and temps have been exceeded. It also should have a visual alert as well. The monitor also needs to automatically come on when I turn on the ignition, so I don't forget to turn it on.
4. I want a nice display that not to big, but lets me monitor up to 10 wheels, 6 on my RV and 4 on a toad or trailer. I'd like to see all tire pressures and temperatures at once, not have to scroll through 10 screens to see every tire.
5. It needs to be reliable for a 65' distance, to reliably read tires from the trailer/toad. Repeaters are OK.
6. I've seen some of the new Bluetooth devices that use a phone for the display, but I don't want to use my phone for this function and remember to launch an app every time I travel.
7. Each sensor must be accurate, hopefully proven over time by many truckers or RV'rs.

So the reason I'm posting this is to get your input on what you're using, and if you like the one you bought. Are my preferences reasonable? Is there a system out there that's proven reliable? Is there the "go to standard" system everyone is using? Who's been manufacturing TPM systems the longest? Or are all these companies about the same?

Last year I bought a TST model 506 (I think this is the correct model#) from TechnoRV - a small mail order company run by RVers which has excellent customer service. It had a small LCD display and sensors that have to be sent back to the manufacturer for a free battery change and have to be removed to add air. It worked well for us and appears to fit all of your requirements. When we returned from our trip to Indiana I saw that TechnoRV had a new model, 507, that had a color 3.5" display and pass through sensors that don't have to be removed to add air, and the batteries can be replaced by the customer. I got one and like it better than the original! If you look at their website, TechnoRV.com, you'll see they have various kits with the number of sensors needed for your rig. The cost (again if I remember right) is around $300 for the 6 sensor kit I needed. I highly recommend this unit and TechnoRV.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Last year I bought a TST model 506 (I think this is the correct model#) from TechnoRV - a small mail order company run by RVers which has excellent customer service. It had a small LCD display and sensors that have to be sent back to the manufacturer for a free battery change and have to be removed to add air. It worked well for us and appears to fit all of your requirements. When we returned from our trip to Indiana I saw that TechnoRV had a new model, 507, that had a color 3.5" display and pass through sensors that don't have to be removed to add air, and the batteries can be replaced by the customer. I got one and like it better than the original! If you look at their website, TechnoRV.com, you'll see they have various kits with the number of sensors needed for your rig. The cost (again if I remember right) is around $300 for the 6 sensor kit I needed. I highly recommend this unit and TechnoRV.
@akeagle, I'm impressed. I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. It's the best I seen so far. The implied notion that truckers (the TST name, Trucker System Technologies) have vetted this system is comforting, and the repeater should assure it would be reliable for a toad/trailer setup. Thanks for sharing this!!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
@akeagle, I'm impressed. I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. It's the best I seen so far. The implied notion that truckers (the TST name, Trucker System Technologies) have vetted this system is comforting, and the repeater should assure it would be reliable for a toad/trailer setup. Thanks for sharing this!!
Pretty good, eh?!! Not sure I really needed the repeater in our 27Q Class C but I installed it anyway on an interior wall that contained 12v power. The repeater has a red LED to indicate power on, but it's bright enough to be a nightlight! I ended up adding a simple on/off switch to kill the light when unneeded.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use the TST 507 system also, with the flow through sensors. It does everything you're looking for except for clarity a few of your statements (the numbers are yours).

1) I assume you mean that the unit has a 5 year service life, not the batteries. I've had to replace the batteries on mine about every year - which is what I'd expect. Replacement is easy, take out a couple of small allen head screws, pop off a cover, remove and replace a CR2032 battery.

3) I'm sure you know this. Having the monitor come on with the key is a function of how you wire it in, not the monitor itself. Mine is currently plugged in to the 'cigarette lighter'. I pull it out when not in use, plug it in and the monitor immediately comes on. However it takes several minutes for it to start receiving a signal from all of the sensors.

5) You'll definitely need a repeater - they have them for this system.

7) It depends on how you define 'accurate'. All of the ones that I researched said they were accurate to within X%. Real life usage on mine shows them to be accurate within about 3lbs of pressure on tires set to 85lbs (they read low of course, not high). So if mine show 82 or above I figure I'm fine. *I* don't know of any system that claims 100% accuracy on their sensors.

I have the grey scale monitor because they didn't have a color option when I bought mine (3 years ago). Were I to buy again I'd get the color monitor, not because it works differently or better, just because it's cool.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
Veteran & RV Owner

Quote:

I use the eeztire tpms on my coach. It works pretty good and displays pressure and temp readings at the same time. I can set limits to alert me when something goes wrong. I also bought "Tyron straps" from LazyDays to keep my tires from destroying themselves. The Tyron strap prevents the blown tire from collapsing into the rim, and essentially makes it a "run flat" tire, only to allow you time to safely slow down and exit the roadway. Tyron straps are not intended to make your tire a "run flat" for a long distance. I don't understand why "Tyron Straps" are not mandatory equipment on all RV's and big trucks....they would prevent many terrible accidents!

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tire-p...tems-reviewed/
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Truck System Technologies is a supporter of IRV2 Forums, (the mother ship of this forum). I have had their systems for almost twenty years, or as long as they have been in business anyway, and never had a problem.

I currently have the 507 Color System. The sensors are flow through and I can replace the batteries. In fact it will do everything you stated.

The big thing about TST is their customer service. It is extraordinary. They will bend over backward if you need help setting the system up or whatever. Good folks.

https://tsttruck.com//shop.html?market_application=24
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I have the grey scale monitor because they didn't have a color option when I bought mine (3 years ago). Were I to buy again I'd get the color monitor, not because it works differently or better, just because it's cool.

I upgraded to the color monitor and it a vast improvement in clarity. Well worth the money.

BTW, my understanding is that the batteries are not run down if you remove the sensors from the valve stems when not in use. Our rig is in the shed for the Winter, or at least until after the first of the year and I have the sensors and monitor here in the house. I simply mark on a piece of masking tape which tire they go to and stick it on each sensor. Only takes a few minutes to reinstall them.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We briefly used a Tire Minder TM55 on the trailer we used to have. We constantly got false alarms and the battery life in the sensors was pretty poor. I eventually removed it. In the case of the TM55, the sensors must be matched with the valve stem material. Not sure if other brands have the same limitations.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #10
Site Team

The eeztire system does almost that is on your list. The pressure and temp display cycles through each position automatically but does not show all tires at the same time.

I’ve used it for nearly two years and find it works well. Your distance requirement may need their booster, I don’t know about that part as I don’t monitor tp on my toad.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The eeztire system does almost that is on your list. The pressure and temp display cycles through each position automatically but does not show all tires at the same time.

I’ve used it for nearly two years and find it works well. Your distance requirement may need their booster, I don’t know about that part as I don’t monitor tp on my toad.
X2 and the support is very good!
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnewhall View Post
X2 and the support is very good!
X3 for EEZ RV. I've been very happy with mine. We wired it into a 12V wire that was hot with the key turned on. Its already saved me a tire on the dully that had a slow leak.
GearJerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
I use the TST 507 system also, with the flow through sensors. It does everything you're looking for except for clarity a few of your statements (the numbers are yours).

1) I assume you mean that the unit has a 5 year service life, not the batteries. I've had to replace the batteries on mine about every year - which is what I'd expect. Replacement is easy, take out a couple of small allen head screws, pop off a cover, remove and replace a CR2032 battery.

7. It depends on how you define 'accurate'. All of the ones that I researched said they were accurate to within X%. Real life usage on mine shows them to be accurate within about 3lbs of pressure on tires set to 85lbs (they read low of course, not high). So if mine show 82 or above I figure I'm fine. *I* don't know of any system that claims 100% accuracy on their sensors.
Many thanks for this input guys. I certainly like that TST has been around so long, and has good support. Seems like the system for me.

Podivin, your input helps with my expectations. Knowing the system will auto-power-on simply by applying power to the power line is helpful. Not having to push a button after power is applied is key to prevent forgetting to turn on the system. I'll have no problem finding the right power wire for this auto-on support, hard wired. I got the impression from the TST info that the monitor was battery powered, having to recharge it after 20hrs. I was thinking if it's battery powered, then I'm required to turn it on and off all the time, which can lead to the forgetting to turn it on to get audible warnings.

I should have been more clear on accuracy. +- 3lbs is acceptable, I just didn't want the sensors to deviate more than 5lbs, which seems like a reasonable expectation.

Regarding your battery duration, are you a full timer? Or do you sometimes remove the sensors in the winter when not traveling? I've seen other systems state they have a 3-5yr battery life, but those are systems that generally don't have replaceable batteries, and I think they only send data when moving. If the batteries are replaceable, I'm OK with 1yr. I like the capability to see pressures without moving when I'm at home, parked.

Question: When the battery gets low, is there a warning on the monitor, telling me which sensor is low? If yes, do you know how long the sensor will work properly after the "low battery" warning is displayed? I didn't see anything on this subject in the information I've read.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I upgraded to the color monitor and it a vast improvement in clarity. Well worth the money.

BTW, my understanding is that the batteries are not run down if you remove the sensors from the valve stems when not in use. Our rig is in the shed for the Winter, or at least until after the first of the year and I have the sensors and monitor here in the house. I simply mark on a piece of masking tape which tire they go to and stick it on each sensor. Only takes a few minutes to reinstall them.
Thanks for letting us know on the clarity of the color monitor.

Good idea on how to save the batteries, but we're in Florida so don't have that several months down time like you do. So for ME I'd rather replace the batteries once a year rather than remove and replace the sensors once a month (or more).
Old 12-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Let's kill some bugs!

I just chatted with TechnoRV about the TST507 system. Turns out it doesn't have the ability to auto-turn-on with ignition after all. The system is self battery powered and recharges with the power cable to the 12V plug. This means I can simply leave it on all the time, which tends to ruin the internal battery when it goes dead and fully recharges all time, or I can turn it on and off each time I travel and stop. That option leaves room for error, forgetting to turn it on. It's too bad they don't support ACC sensing like a car radio as an option. I figured a company that's been making these so long, that others would request the same feature long ago, and when they designed the color monitor recently it would have been included. I guess not. Maybe I'm too picky, but how would you like to have to turn your car radio on and off each time you get in your car? Seems silly these days, am I wrong? I guess this leaves room for improvement at TST so they can sell a new model monitor next year with ACC support. Hah!

Regardless, I like the TST system and that's what I'll be buying. Thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #16
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know on the clarity of the color monitor.

Good idea on how to save the batteries, but we're in Florida so don't have that several months down time like you do. So for ME I'd rather replace the batteries once a year rather than remove and replace the sensors once a month (or more).
Does the monitor warn of low battery, or does the sensor just stop working one day?
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The display just stops showing a value for that tire. 'No signal' is treated differently than 'zero pressure in tire', so this doesn't cause an alarm.
When one battery goes out on mine I go ahead and change them all.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I went ahead and had a cigar lighter socket wired to the ACC side of the ignition. It comes on with the key and goes off with the key. You can also turn it on with the battery as well. When I replace sensors I install them on the wheel and hold the display close to it and it installs itself. That's where I use the battery.

Not sure TechnoRV knows exactly what they're talking about. Call TST.

I only remove my sensors once a a year and that's when it's going to be parked for several months.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

When I am having my morning coffee I unplug the monitor from the ACC outlet and plug it into the regular power point. That way I can check my tires while I drink coffee setting inside out of the weather. That's what I use the battery for.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #20
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I went ahead and had a cigar lighter socket wired to the ACC side of the ignition. It comes on with the key and goes off with the key. You can also turn it on with the battery as well. When I replace sensors I install them on the wheel and hold the display close to it and it installs itself. That's where I use the battery.

Not sure TechnoRV knows exactly what they're talking about. Call TST.

I only remove my sensors once a a year and that's when it's going to be parked for several months.
Wow, that's interesting. I'm hoping TechnoRV is wrong. I thought it was strange TST didn't support ACC auto-on-off. Hooking up a 12V socket for ACC activation is easy pesy to do. Thanks for the clarification.

Tags
ems, tire pressure