Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire maintenance

We recently purchased a 2022 Adventurer. I've searched this forum and others, including Michelin's own.
I'm not finding much about tire maintenance. Besides correct tire pressure and cleaning, I bought and use covers that add some uv protection here in sunny SC.
What other protectant are you using, if any? Armor All was my go to on my car, but those tires cost a lot less than the Michelin's on the coach. I'm thinking that there's a better product out there?
Old 04-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

My Goodyear tire manual says do not use any tire dressing.

This is a good go to place to answer tire questions…

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Cleaning
Old 04-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wyatt, thank you. Exactly the info I wanted!
I'll continue to put the covers on when I'm parked. The summer sun down here can be brutal.
Thanks again
Old 04-22-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Many of us use 303 Protectant after a good scrubbing with a brush and soapy water. When you're parked for longer-term place a plastic-type barrier under each tire (cheap plastic cutting boards work well). And keep covering.

Some owners also increase tire pressures to the max cold sidewall pressure when storing.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Lv2, thanks for the info. I've read lots of reviews on the 303 products.I do like the "finished" look that the application of the 303 provides.
I can tell you that when parked in our snowbird resort in Fl., it was easy to spot the coaches that had tire protectant applied vs. the ones that didn't.
Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
We recently purchased a 2022 Adventurer. I've searched this forum and others, including Michelin's own.
I'm not finding much about tire maintenance. Besides correct tire pressure and cleaning, I bought and use covers that add some uv protection here in sunny SC.
What other protectant are you using, if any? Armor All was my go to on my car, but those tires cost a lot less than the Michelin's on the coach. I'm thinking that there's a better product out there?

In the past (before retiring) I was in charge of groups of tire engineers that inspected thousands of tires at End of life and that had been returned for adjustment. Tires that had ArmorAll or similar treatment sprayed or rubbed on the sidewall were easily identified due to the extra degradation of the sidewalls. Yes they were shiny but the rubber was damaged. Use your covers (white is better if the cover lays right on the tire. Black flat screens hung off the side of Class-A RVs provides similar protection from the sun's heat. You can see the measured difference in THIS post. Don't forget UV can only attack the surface while heat penetrated and can weaken the rubber that is part of the structure of a tire and can allow Belt Separations AKA Blowouts" to occur.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Many of us use 303 Protectant after a good scrubbing with a brush and soapy water. When you're parked for longer-term place a plastic-type barrier under each tire (cheap plastic cutting boards work well). And keep covering.

Some owners also increase tire pressures to the max cold sidewall pressure when storing.

Have you ever found a report on a direct comparison of any spray on stuff that shows with and without the spray? or the different in the level of protection?
I know that I have been looking for a direct comparison test but all I find are claims, unsupported by data..."Use out stuff and it will protect your tires" I say... Show me the data. Just as we use to say "Show me the beef"
Old 04-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Tireman, thanks for your input. I guess all the years I used Armor All were counter to what I was trying to do!
Thanks again
Old 04-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Anyone try this? So far I have applied it to my spare, both sides. It goes on wet, then you wait a bit then clean it off with a wet towel. It does not stay wet and shiny but it does make the tire look like a new tire. I never could stand the wet look of products like Armor All, I like this stuff and I think it might help prolong the rubber life but probably should be applied to the entire tire.
I am curious what Roger thinks about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aero.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	182616  
Old 04-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Anyone try this? So far I have applied it to my spare, both sides. It goes on wet, then you wait a bit then clean it off with a wet towel. It does not stay wet and shiny but it does make the tire look like a new tire. I never could stand the wet look of products like Armor All, I like this stuff and I think it might help prolong the rubber life but probably should be applied to the entire tire.
I am curious what Roger thinks about it.

It's another product looking for a problem to solve.
Can you find any test run using this product in direct comparison? If so that would be a first.

Heat is the #1 killer of tires. Not UV. UV can make the surface get "old" but UV can't attack the critical rubber in the tire structure. Sounds like your product is water soluble so it is unlikely to attack the surface rubber so it may not hurt the tire as some "tire shine" stuff can. If you want to use it i guess it can't hurt. You still need to protect the tire from direct sun exposure as I covered in my blog post where the white vinyl dropped the tire temperature almost 40F.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
It's another product looking for a problem to solve.
Can you find any test run using this product in direct comparison? If so that would be a first.

Heat is the #1 killer of tires. Not UV. UV can make the surface get "old" but UV can't attack the critical rubber in the tire structure. Sounds like your product is water soluble so it is unlikely to attack the surface rubber so it may not hurt the tire as some "tire shine" stuff can. If you want to use it i guess it can't hurt. You still need to protect the tire from direct sun exposure as I covered in my blog post where the white vinyl dropped the tire temperature almost 40F.
Thanks Roger. As my rig is stored indoors I probably don't have to worry. I put it on my spare in hopes of making it last longer, I generally never use it and the last spare went 10 years before I replaced it due to fear of dry rot, it had never been used. It is under the vehicle so never sees the sun but lots of road heat when out on a trip.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

303 Marine Aerospace Protectant - Provides Superior UV Protection, Repels Dust, Dirt, and Staining, Dries To A Smooth, Matte Finish, Restores and Maintains A Like-New Appearance, 32oz (30306) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JDRW4J0ZGF70PF63D0TA?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1
Farco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The big difference between 303 and just about everything else is the fact that it is not based on a petroleum product. Most tire dressings are just that: window dressing. We really don't care if they are shiny and look "wet." Also avoid deep cleaners which are petroleum based. The object is to keep road grime off and to keep the sidewalls from drying out and cracking, which is mostly a function of temperature (but also ambient air). Light colored tire covers take care of the UV factor.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

A version of this question comes up almost monthly. Everyone wants to make it harder than it is.
Do what the manufacturer tells you. DON’T use tire dressings and cover them when in the sun for extended Periods of time.

I’ll post this once again, my good friend is the chemist amd co-owner at a major company for car, boat, etc care products—P&S Sales, in CA.
They do air force one and all of the cars at the famous shows. Their products are top flight.
But even he admits that you can’t get enough UV protectant from a product to do any good. The UV protector is built into the tires.
Stop wasting money and over thinking this! Or, have fun with that stuff…
Old 04-28-2022, 06:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

For me, if a product isn't damaging my tires and I like the way that look, why not?
Old 04-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Again, As an actual Tire design Engineer. Heat not UV is your Number 1 enemy of tires.

If 303 or any other spray or wipe on was half as good as the claims then it should be easy to find direct comparison like half a tire with and half without then put the tires on the roof of a building in Phoenix and after 3 and 5 years see if the tires can pass the DOT mandates testing. 303 has been on the market for well over 10 years so there has been plenty of time for them to run a controlled Scientific test.

Where is the data?
Old 04-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I'm with Tireman9. It's interesting how, even after he and others have posted expert and manufacturer-based information about various applications being ineffective or even damaging, people persist in posting recommendations based on advertising and/or anecdotal experience. For some reason, tire posts seem particularly vulnerable to this.

Personally, I don't care if my tires are pretty and shiny, I want them to be safe. Fortunately in my storage yard, we're parked so close together, my tires are pretty well protected from the sun.

I just got my car back from service at the Honda dealer and the tires are all nice and shiny. Who knows what they put on them. I wish they wouldn't do that.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Some of us here do care about the appearance. We're all on the same page safety wise.

If the product doesn't damage the tire and you are happy with it, I don't see why not. Tireman and others here have sold me on the efficacy, or lack of it, of protection they offer.

I just like the look!

Tags
maintenance