Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire air compressor?

Who carries a portable air compressor for tires? Please share your reasons why or why not?

I air up at home easily with the garage shop compressor and haven't worried about tire pressure on the road yet since we've done a lot of weekend trips but only one 20 day trip so far. but we're getting ready to start some multi-state longer trips and I'm wondering if I should invest in one.

From what I'm guessing so far: Pros: Convenience for topping off tires and avoiding some crowded, funky gas stations and having to move the rig to access all tires. Cons: 1) Space is always a problem. 2) cost $400+

So are Class A tire compressors a necessity that I haven't realized yet or just a nice to have? Appreciate your insight, ideas.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I ventured all over southern Texas a few years back trying to find a truck stop with a working air compressor that went to a high enough pressure to top off my front tire. I had a slow leak. I was amazed at how many were broken or would not go high enough.
I finally got to Branson, Mo. and went to Home Depot and purchased a pancake compressor that goes up to 150psi. I carry it in a storage compartment on the passenger side and have used it several times over the years.

PS, I got the tire repaired when I got home.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't get that hyper over tire pressure. I check it at home, before every trip. If one tire is inconsistant with the others, into the shop it goes. On the road, if there is a problem, that is why I pay for road service. Been RVing over 40 years and have had two tire issue. (Knock on wood). Both went noticably low, while parked over night (both nails). I follow the 6-8 year old tire rule.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Team

I carry a Viair RV tire pump kit at all times. RV tires require high volumes of high pressure air. Not some thing you find everywhere. Luckily I’ve not had to use it too often. But I wouldn’t travel without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFCEB75C-7506-4DE8-971E-3A9FAF9EDE44.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	178178  
Old 04-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I carry a Viair RV tire pump kit at all times. RV tires require high volumes of high pressure air. Not some thing you find everywhere. Luckily I’ve not had to use it too often. But I wouldn’t travel without it.
I agree. I would not travel without an air compressor. I check my tires at the start of each trip, but having a compressor lets me top off the tires if I need too. Have never used it, but.......
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

An idea.

Is that the 450 RVS, the biggest one? 1.8 CFM at 0 psi dropping down significantly at 80 psi?

it occurred to me that I may be able to use what the previous owner installed for an air system for his trailer brakes. It is a 2017 Hadley 8500 compressor. With specs of 0.8 CFM & an operating range 110-135 psi.

Now I don’t know all that much about the intricacies of a small air brake system but I’m wondering why an 0.8 CFM compressor wouldn’t be enough to top off an occasional low tire from say 60 to 80 psi. I’m fine with letting it cool 30 minutes between uses. If I need air for a seriously low or flat tire, I’ll need road side assistance.

Thanks guys.
Lotus 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I carry a cheap 12v inflator that I paid $65. They claim 150psi. I wouldn’t trust that, but I only need 60psi. Just for info, most brad nailer compressors can easily deliver 150psi. I bought a brad nailer kit for $150. Then you get two tools in one. You’ll need 120v though.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I got the hot dog type at harbor freight. Good to about 130psi. Yes its electric and better than 12 type IMO (I had 2 and the electric one is much faster). Besides thats why you have a generator on board is it not? 12v are slow I had 2 of them and they worked but took forever to reach the psi desired.

Also I can air up the air bags while in the rv park or wherever without having to go to a gas station! If you have a class a with air brakes you can get a tap off the system for airing up stuff. As to cost these can be had for less than $100 from several places. I also bought a air over hydralic jack to use with it.

here is one from lowes 150psi a little over $100
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3-Ga...sor/1000258241
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I carry an air compressor. Why?

I check my tire pressure with a gauge maybe once a week when on the road. I have had the Schrader valve fail to close after checking. I blow more air into the tire to cycle the valve. This works. It is not an unheard of situation.

Why check pressure?.... I don't have tire pressure sensors.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I do the exact same thing (same model as pictured). It goes on every trip with me (trailer or not). I just feel better knowing I'm self-sufficient in this respect.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor.
Fits in basement of 36' diesel Chieftain.
120vac so it's fast.
Oil lubricated because I HATE the noise of an oil less compressor, this has a quiet deep tone.
50' hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700.../dp/B0001Q2VK0
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Home Depot had a small hot-dog like compressor that is good to 135lbs. It was also very quiet. It replaced a Harbor Freight that was good to 150lbs but extremely loud - I couldn't use it in campgrounds and such. Both use 120v. But I have a genny.

I need 100lbs in my tires and it is very difficult to find that outside of truck stops.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We did built in ARB compress in our 2019 Era 4x4...awesome solution as there air connection from and back so just plug in the coil air hose and top off as needed (plus great for filling inflatable water toys!

https://arbusa.com/air-compressors/o...r-compressors/
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We bought the Air Hawk Pro and it's given me peace of mind on our travels. Our tires are nitrogen filled (3 of them are, anyhow, as we've had a slow leak in one that now has about 1/4 air).
Old 04-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Pancake compressor

After 4 flat tires and waiting up to 24 hours for roadside assistance, I carry a Ryobi Impact wrench, a 6-ton bottle jack, jack stands and a Harbor Freight pancake air compressor. I can change a tire in less than 45 minutes and never worry about inflation pressure or waiting for assistance. All those tools cost less than $200. I wouldn't do it any other way.
gordelbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We use a Viar as well. We have a Jeep we take off road a bit too so it handles airing up both.
HoosierWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Air Compressor

I always carry an electric Porter-Cable (150 psi max) one since we may be on the road 6-8 weeks at a time. Every time we move after a few days in one spot I check them. I don't need to hunt for a station that can put 80-90 lbs into the tires just to top them off.
rhb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I run TPMS so if I jet a low pressure warning I can monitor the rate of air loss. If it is slow enough I can use the compressor to top the tire off (adding maybe 10 psi) and hopefully drive to next exit where I can either change the tire or have it properly repaired.
A good TPMS should provide warning as soon as you lose just a few psi of your HOT pressure so with luck you would never be running your tires underinflated.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I do carry an air compressor...and check tires every couple of days...better safe than sorry...

I check my tire pressure with an AstroAl electronic tire gauge and have a Kobalt 120v/12v...which seems to work well...I can use it to also check tire pressure and it has an automatic shutoff when using...

hopefully I don't need to use it much but I don't have tire pressure sensors...later.

wilbur
wshardlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Harbor Freight hot dog compressor. It was on sale for $28 (return).
It works fine, and the generator doesn't seem to mind running it.
I also have TPMS.
I've never had to use the compressor myself, but I have helped out others while at the campgrounds before. They seemed to appreciate availability of air at their site.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor