Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I've driven large (cat wagons 777 ,773,and 769) over the roughest construction roads anywhere. The daily tire check was a thump with a good sized hammer.
If a tire was low ITS BECAUSE IT HAS A LEAK. Fix it and tire pressures will maintain 2-4 # plus or minus. I've never carried a compressor capable of airing up a 90-120# RV tire. Check 'em and don't worry. That's what roadside assistance is for if you do have a flat.
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #22
WinnieAdven38

If you drive a big Class A then carrying an air compressor with you is absolutely essential!! This is because maintaining correct tire pressures is THE Safest thing you can do because you do not want to have a tire blow out when driving - instant disaster! And tire blowouts tend to be caused by under-inflated tires because they allow excessive sidewall flex - which overheats the tire while it weakens the sidewall.

Part of my morning RV pack-up routine is to check and adjust tire pressures all around on my Class A 22.5" high pressure tires.. While most of the time all are OK, I did have a spell there where I had an inner dually valve extender come loose at its tire connection and found many days when I was down to 65-75psi instead of the 95psi required in all my other tires. By having my air compressor right there I was able to re-inflate the tire and be good for the day.

If you want to extend your margin of safety further then you should also have - in addition! - a TPMS installed. These will not only instantly give you psi readings for each of your tires, but will also warn you while driving should any tire be losing too much air.

I did lots of research on air compressors. While many like the Viar models, I stayed away from them because they are pricey and they are low volume, high pressure pumps. For large Class A tires you need the high pressure - but you also need your compressor to have the ability to generate some volume without taking hours to get each tire up to pressure.

I ended up with a small portable 120v AC unit which has a 1 gallon tank, which I run off my inverter. It generates up to 135psi - more than enough for my tires. But I have since noted that there are now several different portable battery powered air compressors now out there on the market which I would buy instead.

I have been greatly impressed with modern tool batteries, now used on most every type of tool you can imagine. Most automotive and RV mechanics have long since gone to using battery wrenches, etc, and my RV mechanic showed me the Ryobi portable air compressor he got - and loves - because it is so portable - to carry around the lot -while generating enough psi for all the RVs he services. Noted that Harbor Freight just released a similar model, and that Milwaukee (my favorite tool brand) released their portable compressor last year - though it is costly compared to these other 2.

If I had to buy another compressor to carry around in my RV it would be the Ryobi for $99 + the cost of 2 4Ahr batteries. Found at Home Depot -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P739/305269932
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I run TPMS so if I jet a low pressure warning I can monitor the rate of air loss. If it is slow enough I can use the compressor to top the tire off (adding maybe 10 psi) and hopefully drive to next exit where I can either change the tire or have it properly repaired.
A good TPMS should provide warning as soon as you lose just a few psi of your HOT pressure so with luck you would never be running your tires underinflated.
I also have a TPMS plus a Viair compressor. Use the compressor all the time to top off and helped me through a slow leak until I could get repaired at truck tire shop.
megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Using a portable 120 PSI Ryobi 18V battery powered portable air compressor:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P739/305269932

With a 9AH 18V battery:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P194/301687122

Added this pressure gauge accessory to the Ryobi compressor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MusicMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #25

I carry a small compressor with 12V and 120V cords that I use for the motorhome tires and the bicycles. It is slow to inflate a flat tire, but doesn't weigh much or take much room. We travel back roads mostly, and it's a way to be self-sufficient, especially in the Canadian north. I've used it to top up my tires and have leant it to fellow travellers to get them out of a jam.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormnLonnie View Post
We bought the Air Hawk Pro and it's given me peace of mind on our travels. Our tires are nitrogen filled (3 of them are, anyhow, as we've had a slow leak in one that now has about 1/4 air).

NOTE that running any tire any distance with less than 80% of what is needed to support the measured load is considered to be "running flat" by the tire companies. and is probably doing damage to the tire structure.

Since air is 78% N2 and even inflating with 99% N2 the best you get with N2 inflation is about 96 - 97% N2 not sure is the theoretical benefits are worth the effort even if N2 were free.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Viair

Good Day,

The wife and I just went full time, the Viair is the way to go...works great..gotta have the motor running though

Jim
norris4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #28
Itasca Sunstar Owner

I carry a Bostitch pancake air compressor. Came in handy when I had a slow leak on the way home from a trip. Was able to top up the tire a couple of times to make it home. Also handy for blowing up bike tires and blowing out furnace or hot water orifices when spiders come visiting.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/air-com...pressor-572655
Old 04-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

I have a Porter Cable 150psi pancake mounted in the passenger side mid compartment, next to the inverter. I plugged an outlet strip into the inverter and the compressor into that. I also screwed a couple of hitch rings onto the back wall of the compartment and wrap a bungee cord around the compressor to hold it in place. A 25' air hose reaches all the tires as well as the wet bay for winterizing.

I check pressure every morning, just turn on the EEZTire and within 5-10 min I have a reading on all 10 tires.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Tire pressure and temp monitor system, manually check tires before I leave on a trip--usually no change from the past.

I used to carry a 6 gallon pancake 110 V compressor in the Class A. But with the Sprint Via T 25 I use a Via 450 RV. I also tow a 8500# boat trailer several thousand miles a year, so the compressor goes into the truck for that. I have used it several times both on the RV and boat trailer tires. Yes, road service is great--but there are places in the US where cell phones don't work. Or road service many be a number of hours away. Be prepared.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:49 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Who carries a portable air compressor for tires? Please share your reasons why or why not?

I air up at home easily with the garage shop compressor and haven't worried about tire pressure on the road yet since we've done a lot of weekend trips but only one 20 day trip so far. but we're getting ready to start some multi-state longer trips and I'm wondering if I should invest in one.

From what I'm guessing so far: Pros: Convenience for topping off tires and avoiding some crowded, funky gas stations and having to move the rig to access all tires. Cons: 1) Space is always a problem. 2) cost $400+

So are Class A tire compressors a necessity that I haven't realized yet or just a nice to have? Appreciate your insight, ideas.
After 15 years with large diesel powered rigs never had the need to air up tires, just monitor them & at the first of the season I bring the rig to a large truck tire shop to check on the tires & air up if necessary at no charge. Normally just off a few pounds. Just have good tires, we have installed Toyo tires
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I've been using a compact portable Craftsman 120V compressor. It was much cheaper than a quality 12V compressor. If I don't have 120V at the campground, I can use the generator to power it.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

thank you all. Basic question more than answered. Seems like the consensus is an inflator/compressor is essential. I have a Viair 88P in my towd (a Mini w/ run-flats and no spare). That has 1.47 CFM and 120 psi max pressure which should (with some patience) get a slightly low RV tire back up to 80psi and buy me enough time to get to a tire shop and avoid a long wait for roadside assistance. Am I wrong about that?

Also I have had some head nodding from 2 RV mechanics about converting my Roadmaster Brake Master air system to be a simple air inflation source. They say "probably an hour or 2" to do it but they'll will have to look at it to make a serious estimate. So that's still on my to-do list.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Carry tire inflator

I bought a Kobalt 12V/120V tire inflator. Has a digital gauge that sets inflation pressure up to 120psi, then shuts off automatically. While the 120v would probably work running off my inverter, I've only used it when hooked up to shore power. But it also has the 12V option if no AC is available.
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordelbar View Post
After 4 flat tires and waiting up to 24 hours for roadside assistance, I carry a Ryobi Impact wrench, a 6-ton bottle jack, jack stands and a Harbor Freight pancake air compressor. I can change a tire in less than 45 minutes and never worry about inflation pressure or waiting for assistance. All those tools cost less than $200. I wouldn't do it any other way.
Good for you. I’m impressed. I have a new spare & new rim separate but I don’t have space to carry it mounted. Plus I’m too old now to think about changing it myself.
Lotus 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I have a Husky small compressor from Home Depot. Keep tires at 70 psi cold. It does the job. 120 volts. Not real fast but fast enough. I don’t need the biggest fastest most expensive. It’s good enough.
dsruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:48 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

air compressor

I have 1 i inherited & works great saved about 20 bucks from gas station compressors that would not do the job.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Just returned from 4300 mi trip thru the SW nat’l parks. Had one tire down about 5 one time.. Used my Viair 88p out of my towd (Mini Cooper). As a test I added 10 psi. It took 3 min. Think that’s all I need.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

In my Via space and weight is a premium. I got the TireMinder TPMS and will get the Viair 88P. In the past I have owned cheap portable compressors and found them to be unreliable when needed. I have Viair onboard air on my F350 and it has proven itself so I decided to stick with the brand. Luckily on the Via I only need 61 PSI.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

I am an air pressure Nazi. Might be OCD from driving truck. I check all my tire pressures every morning before venturing out. I have a digital tire pressure gauge and try and keep all pressures at 105 cold. I also have a TPMS and keep track as the conditions change. In my previous Class A, a gasser, I carried a $59 Menards special that had no problem getting my 19.5 tires to 100 psi. Upgraded last year to a DP that has an air supply under the Generator hood. I have a 50' 1/4' hose that coils up and hangs in the front compartment. I frequently travel from north to south, and may start out the day at 105, but when getting into the mexican dessert they hit 125. Too much. I'll stop and take them down a little bit. In normal weather, like the last time I moved it at 55 degrees, I started at 105 and in 30 minutes I was at 115. I also tow a trailer that requires 45-50 psi.

So yes, I carry a air hose, digital gauge, air compressor, tire plug kit and have a TPMS.

Why? Because a new set of tires is $3500 to $4000 and need care. Plus I have seen the damage a blowout can do.
Gomazatlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor