Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I am contemplating a few mods to our new rig, open to some feedback and comments.

1) The water pump is the normal el cheap-o pump so we get some normal surging in the lines and as usually its a bit loud - being placed under the bead doesn't help. So I am debating about a new pump or a accumulator tank or in time both perhaps. At some $130 for a Surflo Extreme pump my first inclination is to go with the accumulator tank, either a Shurflo or something from Lowes. Any thoughts?

2) Our triple door wardrobe is great, but we really don't have a good spot for laundry. I'm looking at putting a small wall thus dividing it into 2/3 and 1/3. We could use the 1/3 for laundry or hanging clothes still. My thought is to just use masonite and a couple of 3/4 square trips on the front and back of inside of the wardrobe to be able to screw into. Curious if anyone has any other ideas?

3) Build a 3rd step. Seems several sites we've been at the RV is on the pad but the steps lead off on the dirt, and its enough that that bottom step is a bit much. I've seen the metal ones but dropping $80 isn't my idea of fun, not when I can build something myself. I am sure I'm not the only one to do this so curious what has worked or not. I'm thinking of building it so I can store it in the compartment and use it to hold things (inverted) when I don't need a step.

4) Hearing a lot of chatter about the Steersafe setup, not thrilled about $373, but I'm wondering if this would help alleviate the 18 wheeler push we feel when we have one come up on side of us. Seems most the people that put one on have an older coach, so I'm not sure if on an 07 F53 chassis if it will matter or not.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am contemplating a few mods to our new rig, open to some feedback and comments.

1) The water pump is the normal el cheap-o pump so we get some normal surging in the lines and as usually its a bit loud - being placed under the bead doesn't help. So I am debating about a new pump or a accumulator tank or in time both perhaps. At some $130 for a Surflo Extreme pump my first inclination is to go with the accumulator tank, either a Shurflo or something from Lowes. Any thoughts?

2) Our triple door wardrobe is great, but we really don't have a good spot for laundry. I'm looking at putting a small wall thus dividing it into 2/3 and 1/3. We could use the 1/3 for laundry or hanging clothes still. My thought is to just use masonite and a couple of 3/4 square trips on the front and back of inside of the wardrobe to be able to screw into. Curious if anyone has any other ideas?

3) Build a 3rd step. Seems several sites we've been at the RV is on the pad but the steps lead off on the dirt, and its enough that that bottom step is a bit much. I've seen the metal ones but dropping $80 isn't my idea of fun, not when I can build something myself. I am sure I'm not the only one to do this so curious what has worked or not. I'm thinking of building it so I can store it in the compartment and use it to hold things (inverted) when I don't need a step.

4) Hearing a lot of chatter about the Steersafe setup, not thrilled about $373, but I'm wondering if this would help alleviate the 18 wheeler push we feel when we have one come up on side of us. Seems most the people that put one on have an older coach, so I'm not sure if on an 07 F53 chassis if it will matter or not.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Regrading the passing truck push, you might want to inquire about a rear anti-sway bar. I am sure others will respond with feedback but I have read in many places that the movement you experience is more related to tail-wag than the front end. Steer-Safe is a good add-on but I'd investigate the rear before adding anything up front.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Rear track bar for your tail wag. I just put a supersteer and am happy to say it does everything it said it would.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) The water pump is the normal el cheap-o pump so we get some normal surging in the lines and as usually its a bit loud - being placed under the bead doesn't help. So I am debating about a new pump or a accumulator tank or in time both perhaps. At some $130 for a Surflo Extreme pump my first inclination is to go with the accumulator tank, either a Shurflo or something from Lowes. Any thoughts?

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I agree it is very loud. We are almost always hooked up to a water supply though so we don't use the pump very often.
</span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I can't picture what it is you are talking about doing. We just got two duffle style laundry bags and keep them under the bed. Kids clothes go in one...and ours in the other.</span>

<span class="ev_code_purple">We haven't run into that problem yet. We do carry a hard plastic step stool that we could use as a bottom step if we needed to.

We've only done a couple of mods.
1- took out the hoop chair behind the passenger seat. It really only served as a place to toss coats anyway. In it's place we put a storage bench. We can sit on it, store the dog's dishes and leashes inside the bench, and store our shoes under it.
2- Added a RV360 vent to the blank tank vent. Made a big difference while driving down the road. It used to get really smelly in there !!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE></span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Regarding the water pump...

We replaced the original pump with a ShurFlow SmartSensor 4.2 (5.7 was too much pressure and $$ would have been wasted).
Went through a couple of them under warranty due to bad bad pressure sensors (bad batch?) but we've had the one now for 18 months. It is much quieter overall and the pressure sensed variable speed takes away the aggravating "thunk on - thunk off" behavior.

Beyond the water pump...

I've found the plastic water lines have a tendency to oscillate in harmony with the pump and make vibrating noise where is is touching frame, channel, sub-floor, etc. I ended up going through the coach and use a combination of foam pipe insulation, tie wraps, etc. to dampen the vibration/oscillation. Took care of about 99% of it.

One thing that still occurs is when there is any air in the lines then I get a thumping noise throughout the coach. This can occur even after running all the faucets, toilet, shower, etc. to purge the air. I found, in my case anyway, some air is getting trapped in the lines back by the water bay/fill. I learned that if I turn on the water pump and then turn the water valve from Normal to Fill and let the pump run for a minute "looping" the water to/from the tank it will purge the air and things quiet down to a soft pure.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I also have a very noisy pump system in my 07 Journey. Spoke to Shur-flo at the FMCA rally in Perry, and they told me that one way to silence the water line noise is to remove the 90 degree connections going to the pump. Shur-flo actually has a kit which is essentially water lines about 12-18" in length designed to remove the 90 degree elbows.

They also said that an expansion tank would help to minimize the noise.

Haven't implemented any changes yet......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
If you put in the ShurFlo SmartSensor pump their hi-flow/flex kit is a must. Essentially two 2ft long sections of reinforced hose that in my case I just looped around. Looks kind of silly but they are out of the way in the compartment.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
Added a RV360 vent to the black tank vent. Made a big difference while driving down the road. It used to get really smelly in there !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a Google search for RV360, since I didn't know what that was. I have the same problem on my 34A, especially just after dumping the tanks. Did you install this vent yourself, or have it done? I see that it weighs 55lbs; must be a heavy-duty vent...

http://www.rv-360.com/about.htm
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you look close there is a decimal point in front of the 55 so it is just a little over a half pound.
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
I did a Google search for RV360, since I didn't know what that was. I have the same problem on my 34A, especially just after dumping the tanks. Did you install this vent yourself, or have it done? I see that it weighs 55lbs; must be a heavy-duty vent...

http://www.rv-360.com/about.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did a Google search for RV360, since I didn't know what that was. I have the same problem on my 34A, especially just after dumping the tanks. Did you install this vent yourself, or have it done? I see that it weighs 55lbs; must be a heavy-duty vent... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I'm sorry but I have to laugh...it's actually .55 pounds It did make a big difference.It was easy to install...took Chad about 15 minutes to take the old one off and put this one on. And that includes getting up and down the ladder (he doesn't like heights).</span>

Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeCoke:
If you look close there is a decimal point in front of the 55 so it is just a little over a half pound.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MikeCoke & Lil'Darlin1972;

Gee, do I feel silly! I didn't notice the small decimal point, though I did think that 55lbs. was a lot. Sounds like something I'd like to do, as we do notice odors driving the MH after dumping the tanks. Thanks for clarifying the weight for me.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gee, do I feel silly! I didn't notice the small decimal point, though I did think that 55lbs. was a lot. Sounds like something I'd like to do, as we do notice odors driving the MH after dumping the tanks. Thanks for clarifying the weight for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">No problem. We ordered ours from rvupgrades.com. I've ordered several things from them and have been very happy with the prompt shipping. </span>

Old 05-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hey Y-Guy, concerning the water pump, I was thinking about mounting a mouse pad under mine to see if that might dampen some of the vibration and noise. Haven't tried it yet, but it is on my list.
I was also thinking about the Steer-safe. A friend has one and claims it makes a big difference. Not so much with trucks but with wind and the road grove that the trucks seem to make in the right lane.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote