Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thoughts On Possible Purchase: Adventurer 33V

Hi everyone, first post here!

My wife and I used to live in a Dutch Star while we both worked as travel nurses. Did that for a season and ended up purchasing a house in Southern Utah back in '05. We are now planning on retiring, her next year, me the following year.

I came across an ad for a 2005 Adventurer 33V with an asking price of $45,500. It's about 300 miles from us, in Northern UT. Before we go to see it, I wanted to get your thoughts on it.

* Workhorse chassis with 19.5 wheels (Chassis C)
* 32,000 miles
* 5500w Onan w 101 hours
* Leather driver & passenger seats, full body paint, sleep number mattress, auto awning, gas oven, 110 watt solar, inverter, updated stereo w 10 disc CD & DVD player, "newer tires". I see a roof air on an exterior photo.
* Original paperwork and receipts for work done on it.
* 3 owners: Original, neighbor of original (husband died unexpectedly), current owner.

My wife and I would appreciate your thought on the RV as we start to transition out of our 39+ years of nursing.

If there is anyone around West Bountiful/Salt Lake City who could look at it for us, that would be a huge blessing too!

Thank you all,
Trvlngnrs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B80445F-EF77-45C3-8686-29B5C427730C_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	181357   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5D59720-A408-490C-95E3-DB31D6C1E597_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	181358  

Name:	893E1DB7-EE72-4E65-AEAB-AB4B9D1B50DA_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	181359   Click image for larger version

Name:	51376837-9CBF-4ED9-AB44-43A170C7D1F3_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	181360  

Name:	D988DC35-D8FE-400A-9D26-1F8C962723E6_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	181361   Click image for larger version

Name:	908243BE-7A39-46DB-B783-532EBA91430C_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	181362  

Name:	64E28F3E-CE27-4FB3-B428-6F9E046A404D_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	181363   Click image for larger version

Name:	E567EA5A-5097-4593-ABB3-7E69FCB77E94_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	181364  

Name:	FBC551E7-2171-4915-8EBA-6C13D6A9A806_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	181365   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A255313-6372-4B70-ACBC-FCC509592871_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	181366  

Trvlngnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can't comment on the price but I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U (Winnebago Adventurers and the Itasca Suncruisers are essentially identical) on the same Workhorse chassis. Both are very good rigs. The main difference between the two (other than the 2' in length) is that the 33V has a split bathroom while the 35U's is all together with closet where the 33V's toilet is located. The closet is also on a larger BR slide giving a bit more circulation room in that area and significantly more clothes storage.

Our sofa was different and we replaced it with two electric recliners which are much more comfortable. I don't know about the one in the 2005 33V.

Are you sure it has a roof mounted A/C? The first photo clearly shows a Coleman "basement air" unit behind the louvers, which was standard. The only roof mounted things I see are a ventilation vent cover and the refrigerator vent. The basement air unit is actually a heat pump that also provides electric heat in addition to the LPG furnace. If it has a roof mounted A/C unit, it might mean the original, and, IMHO the more desirable, basement air unit has failed.

You might want to check out a 35U, which I understand to be one of the most popular floor plans Winnebago has produced, and see what you think. In terms of driving and handling, I don't think you'd notice much difference due to the additional 2' in length.

Here's a link to the 2005 brochure so you can compare the 33V and the 35U:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...nturer-bro.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the info Bob. I think you are right, it's the refer vent I see on the roof.

I'll look at the 35U, I like a smaller footprint for all the national and state parks in Southern UT.

Trvlngnrs
Old 12-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Itasca owner

Re Adventurer

I also have a Suncruiser and previously an 02 Adventurer. Mine have both been Fords but similar interiors. You won't find better quality hardware or cabinetry on newer units, its really well done on the earlier ones and I think much better than new ones. Mine have been flawless, never in the shop although I did have one small issue with the HWH pump bit I fixed it myself for $100. Yours looks nice and the full paint makes all the difference for long lasting good looks.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 06 Adventurer and I like the size for two people. The basement air is a little noisy when sleeping since it is directly below the bed. It did not take very long to get use to it. The sofa does recline to make a bed. However, I have slept on it and it was not that comfortable. I will agree with Jerrybb that the quality is much better than newer models. My Adventurer is on the Ford chassis with 22.5 wheels so you will save some on tires.
JDICKENSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

One comment on the basement air. We had an 01 35U prior to this one and it was a great floor plan, with the basement air which was fine. Our Journey has the same unit and we like it. As for "noisy at night", it can be with both compressors running. We've found that at night, although it may be hot, the sun isn't adding to the heat, so the a/c usually doesn't have to work that hard. If we need the a/c at night, I go to the breaker panel(at the foot of our bed) and turn off the breaker for the #2 compressor. It has to be the # 2 as the #1 takes priority and must be on. This has always given us enough cooling and a little less noise. We also leave the blower fan "on" so when the compressors cut out due to reaching the thermostat setting, the fan will continue blowing the residual cool recycled air and keep the ducts cooler for when the compressors kick back on. This has worked well for us with both motorhomes.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We have an ‘03 33V Workhorse W20 which should be the one you’re looking at with 19.5” wheels. We love it!! It has been great to us with minimal issues. Handles and rides very well with no costly upgrades. You’d love the 8.1 GM Vortec, solid and powerful. It’s very quiet under power even up grades despite what some say about gassers. All original.
We’ve traveled with 4 adults and it’s fine but better suited with 2. We’ve slept on the fold down power sofa, sleeps fine but not for long durations but it’s ok.
Yes, the basement AC/heat pump is a bit noisy but you get used to it. It works flawlessly and never overworked.
Be sure you check the filon roof radius seals, common issue if not maintained. Search out these issues. Also check all other seals.
Personally, you won’t go wrong with this model in these years. Extremely well constructed, Workhorse is hard to beat.
Good luck!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We are original owners of a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 33V Chassis E (as described in the brochure which was linked for you above) and just turned 133k miles today. Since we still own it after so many years and miles we obviously love it.
What you see on the roof closest to the edge is the refrigerator vent. The more squarish white item is an add on vent cover for the vent/fan that is in the kitchen area, possibly a MaxAair vent cover.
Your description states full body paint but I question that. If you look at the brochure linked above you will see pictures of standard graphics which look like what is in your pictures. I don't know if this is considered full body paint. I think standard graphics are actually decals, but I may be wrong. I have seen other Winnebagos of this vintage with the standard graphics as pictured that are in bad condition. Further down on the brochure are two full body paint pictures and we have the Sage color which was an optional add-on in place of the standard graphics.
I agree the fold out sofa is not too comfortable to sleep on.
It's a great size RV for two people, but sometimes too long for some state/national parks.
If you're going to tow a car be aware of the limit the tow car can weigh. Our first tow car was a 2005 Honda CRV, which we traded in for a 2014 Honda CRV which is the last year make a CRV can be towed four wheels down.
We don't run the basement air at night because of the noise but use a small electric heater in the kitchen area and an electric mattress pad. The mattress pad can also run on a small portable inverter if dry camping.
The chair to the desk in the bedroom has been stored at home ever since we bought the RV. That area is used for two collapsible laundry baskets.
On the bed we have a down comforter with a duvet cover. The original bedspread quickly became too cumbersome to remove/store/replace so that has always been stored at home since the beginning.
From the pictures you posted we have the same interior color scheme but we chose leather also for the sofa and swivel chair.
The border behind the stove we replaced with stick on tiles because the border was showing wear. We also added the tiles to the bathroom sink area, and as a replacement for the border in the in the toilet area.
You didn't show pictures of the TV's but we replaced both with flat screen TV's. The original Sony in the front weighs a ton!
I urge you to do a thorough look over. As said above we have been impressed with the quality of this RV bulit in 2005 compared to those built today.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

2005 Adventuer

I own a 2005 Adventuer 37b floor plan on a workhorse chassis with 22.5 Tires. Ours has 63,000 miles on it. We love this coach ,it has plenty of power and is very roomy. It also has the basement AC/ Heating unit and double door fridge with ice maker. We have never had a problem parking in any RV park or National Park. We have a Onan 7000 Generator and it supplies all the power needed. We also have solar panels mounted on the roof that keep the house batteries charged when boondocking. If you are going to retired and go full time you might want to consider the 37 B floor plan it has a huge bedroom with select comfort bed and lots of closet storage space and huge pull out drawers. It also has lounge chairs and a pull out work table built into rear wall . As for towing power we tow a vehicle behind us where ever we go ! If you want maximum comfort and room look at this floor plan before you settle on a particular unit. Good luck! With whatever you buy. Tarry & Cheryl Morse
TMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Looks like a good buy as long as brake recall was done. I had a Itasca Sunrise 32v similar floor plan. Regret selling it, the older Winnebago' s are excellent MH's went to a DP with regret looked all spring for another Winnie couldn't find one and bought an Allegro Bay, still prefer Winnie.

On the roof there is vent cover and the refer cover. AC is in the basement (louvers right rear corner).

Good luck with the purchase!!
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for all the info guys. I was going to drive up to see it... but it got sold ahead of my arrival.

I like the floorpan and all the good things you say about that year range, so I' putting it on my radar!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yes that's the refrigerator vent in the picture. I have the 35U on the Ford F53 which is a tradeoff over the WorkHorse with its slightly rougher ride but better brakes. I would hope all the issues with the Bosch Brakes and GM style ABS pumps, valves and brake software have been resolved by now. Check that all recalls have been addressed before purchasing and perhaps get a price adjustment if they have not.

With the 19.5" rims you also get the added benefit of lower step up plus you should also have a spare tire that you won't really think much about until you absolutely need it in an emergency on the side of the road or stuck in a campground with a bad storm or forest fire approaching. Yes I've been there.

Have the roof edge seals and front marker light seals checked as they are the most common source of leaks in the Winnebago's. Be sure they only use a Urethane Adhesive Sealant and not any form of Silicone when servicing the edge seal on the roofs. Using a silicone caulking instead of the required Urethane Adhesive Sealant can cause you years of leaks and troubles.

Basement air is still original on my 2001 with the most common pain points being the bearings on the blower shaft and the capacitors and PCTR's. Low campground voltage is usually the root cause of most Air Conditioner electrical problems and can easily be prevented with the use of a voltage correction transformer. Cleanliness if key to efficiency so be sure to get a good supply of air filters for the Basement Air unit (they are common pleated household filters available at most hardware and home center stores) and clean the evaporator coils inside the interior intake behind the filter regularly.

Cabinetry in the Adventurers in the late 1990's and early 2000's as others have mentioned is usually a cut above what you get today and the 33 and 35 foot models convenient sizes that will allow you to get into more of the legacy parks with greater ease that some of the newer, longer, taller coaches plus fuel consumption with the lower height can be better especially if you keep your foot out of it.

A more common issue being experienced in coaches of that vintage is going to be with the dashboard heating and air conditioning systems due to the hard plastic vacuum hoses deteriorating from age. They are available in black at most automotive stores and sold as Emissions Tubing. If the air blows mostly out of the defroster regardless of the setting on the control that is a sign that the system has a vacuum leak and is in limp mode. Fixing it usually requires a few sections of replacement plastic tubing.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It looks like it's been well maintained and probably stowed inside. The mileage is a plus. We have a 2003 37B on the Workhorse chassis with 90,000 miles with no issues at all. It has great torque and the Allison transmission is the best.
I don't think it's full body paint, but the decals look very good.
Good luck,
Dave
Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Adventure 35U with the Workhorse chassis and the 8.1 motor. We've put close to 20,000 miles on it in the past 3 years and it's been a great rig for us. We travel about 1/2 the year and both of us still work remotely while traveling. My wife and I really like the overall build quality and solid material vs most of the ultra lightweight products in most new rigs. Love ours.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We own a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R, with an 8.1 Workhorse Chassis. Not having an Adventure, I'll speak to the Workhorse. As far as I can tell, the 500 cubic inch engine, which was developed expressly for a large truck; is probably the best engine ever used in a motorhome. It's wide torque band is as close to a diesel as you can get, but without the higher costs related to owning one. They say they're a 200,000 mile engine, but I don't know anyone that's actually experienced such.
My one criticism of my rig is the GM 4 speed transmission. It works just fine, but on long hills, I find myself having to slow down, to keep RPM's down when down-shifted. The steps between gears just seem to wide. In later years, an Allison 5 speed transmission, and later still an Allison 6 speed transmission were used. I suspect, but can't confirm, that with better stepping between gears; the 8.1 would be faster, and much nicer to use on those long and steep hills, and might fractionally improve fuel burn. Mine seems to get about 8 MPG, and I keep it under the magic 65 MPH, which it easily would exceed if I wanted.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I've got a Brave (which I believe is a step down). That floorplan is almost identical to mine, and is what sold us originally. The Workhorse is flawless.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I'm in agreement with the previous two posters about the Workhorse being a great, and IMHO, the best chassis option. I don't have any experience with a Ford chassis but I know that most of the threads about handling issues seem to be about Fords. In my experience, I've never experienced any handling issues with my WH, it's not affected much by passing big rigs, etc.

I usually slow down quite a bit on long hills anyway so I haven't noticed the issues mentioned by Rick_99037.

I'm sure there are a lot of satisfied Ford owners and I can't say that a Ford chassis would be a reason to reject a potential buy, but I'd give the edge to a well-maintained WH.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Trvlngnrs Saw your post about the purchase of a 2005 mh for $45,500. We have for sale a 2000 35u 27,400 miles Ford v10 in very very good condition for $30,000. If interested we can communicate by phone or email if you get this post and respond.
pastordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #19
unclescratch

We have a 2003 Adventurer 33V. Have travelled about 1000 miles since purchase w/62500 miles on it. We are third owner. I bought this especially for the WH 8.1 chassis w/Allison transmission. In '03 the Allison was not available below 31 feet in length. I immediately replaced the slide topper over the sofa, the only topper without a metal cover. Also resealed the windshield and front upper marker lights. That remedied a small leak. It appears my rig may have updated Koni shocks, a steering stabilizer and front/rear sway bars. Rig rides and handles very well. I also added a Trik-L-Start (which soon after became standard equipment, (for good reason!). Master bed is short @72-inches, I also replaced the cartridge in the shower control and both TV's have been upgraded to flat Samsung models. In summer I travelled w/Onan running and central air 'on'. That made the coach very comfortable w/outside temps over 100.
Have not attempted to check fuel economy, I stay close to 55mph. Plastic knobs on radio are deteriorating, as are knobs on dual pantries. We like our unit very well and feel we got a 'good one'. I hear many comments about much newer units having much poorer build quality. Best of luck to you !

Tags
adventurer, purchase, vent