Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Last weekend I met up with some of my fellow irv2.com "pond piggy" brethren (Joe K and the Islapp families) at the Pittsburgh RV show. We showed up separately so we started to look through the show while looking for our friends.

I just got my new Show Hauler last June so I really was not in the mood to be looking at RV's, but I did want to catch up with my friends and I was hoping that this would lift the winter blues I was feeling.

To preface my comments you have to remember I own a truck conversion which does not have alot of the automated systems and frills that say alot of the pushers have, but it does have real custom built Amish cabinetry, solid wood doors and trim. Also a ton of steel structure and a very solid residential feeling interior which is what I personally like.

So the first rig we hit was a Monaco Knight, (I am not here to bash any mfg'er, this is only my opinion) but I personally was not impressed. There where some really nice features but overall it would not get me to switch from my conversion. We walked through another Monaco pusher (can't remember the model) but it was a notch below the Knight I believe so again not my cup of tea.

Next was the Winnebago Horizon 40FD. My wife, 2 kids ran inside, while I checked out the exterior. It was painted in the dark blue and slightly off white paint scheme and man that looked impressive! (I don't seem to see that dark blue on the Winnebago site, so I am wonder if it was a left over 05?) Loved the chrome mirrors and chrome bumper insert to give a little contrast. I only spent a short time eyeing up the outside, and than moved inside. By the time I got inside my family had already made up their minds that we had to sell the Show Hauler and buy this rig.

I am like "hold on a minute!" I can't image this rig is going to change my mind to cross over.

My first impressions was that I did like the interior colors. It had the most awesome soft ultra leather chocolate furniture, also loved the honey maple cabinetry along with the remaining interior colors. Really sharp looking. This floor plan had the corner entertainment center which is similar to my Show Hauler which I really, really like. I hate when they put the TV up front over the driver and passengers head, since I have kids and they are going to watch tv while driving. Didn't care for the fireplace, under the TV. My wife was in love with the kitchen area, very well thought out. I loved the easy rest couch, ceiling fan, control center, the big windows next to the dining area, and much more. For the first time I felt like the interior was pretty comparable to my Show Hauler. Although trim, doors, cabinets are thinner, everything felt real and pretty substantial. Obviously, I am aware of weight issues so I can understand the reasoning for trimming things up. But for the first time it did not feel like a major compromise to me.

The bathroom area was nice, but hated the small shower, definitely would want that bigger somehow. Back bedroom was great, lots of storage. One thing I didn't understand was the use of another type of wood (or at least color) in the rear closet. I also noticed they used a different color wood in the outside entertainment center. I am all about continuity so that kinda bugged me. The drivers area is very cool, love the setup, love all of the systems available at your finger tips.

Exterior storage is huge, the sewer bay is well throughout, I have cord reels, so glad to see those in use. I am sure there where a ton of things I missed, but what I did see, made me think that I could cross over to a pusher.

After we met up and walked the rest of the show we where continually comparing all other pushers to the Horizon. Although there where a few features here and there we liked in other manufacturers, the Horizon definitely won out. And if it would have been up to my family we would have been driving home in a new Horizon.

Obviously, I would need to drive one along with crawl all over it for at least 1/2 a day before I could be absolutely sure this is the rig for me. But my initial impressions are that the Winnebago Horizon is one well thought out RV, and it looks like when it's time to make a change the Horizon is going to be at the top of the list.

Bill
Old 01-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Last weekend I met up with some of my fellow irv2.com "pond piggy" brethren (Joe K and the Islapp families) at the Pittsburgh RV show. We showed up separately so we started to look through the show while looking for our friends.

I just got my new Show Hauler last June so I really was not in the mood to be looking at RV's, but I did want to catch up with my friends and I was hoping that this would lift the winter blues I was feeling.

To preface my comments you have to remember I own a truck conversion which does not have alot of the automated systems and frills that say alot of the pushers have, but it does have real custom built Amish cabinetry, solid wood doors and trim. Also a ton of steel structure and a very solid residential feeling interior which is what I personally like.

So the first rig we hit was a Monaco Knight, (I am not here to bash any mfg'er, this is only my opinion) but I personally was not impressed. There where some really nice features but overall it would not get me to switch from my conversion. We walked through another Monaco pusher (can't remember the model) but it was a notch below the Knight I believe so again not my cup of tea.

Next was the Winnebago Horizon 40FD. My wife, 2 kids ran inside, while I checked out the exterior. It was painted in the dark blue and slightly off white paint scheme and man that looked impressive! (I don't seem to see that dark blue on the Winnebago site, so I am wonder if it was a left over 05?) Loved the chrome mirrors and chrome bumper insert to give a little contrast. I only spent a short time eyeing up the outside, and than moved inside. By the time I got inside my family had already made up their minds that we had to sell the Show Hauler and buy this rig.

I am like "hold on a minute!" I can't image this rig is going to change my mind to cross over.

My first impressions was that I did like the interior colors. It had the most awesome soft ultra leather chocolate furniture, also loved the honey maple cabinetry along with the remaining interior colors. Really sharp looking. This floor plan had the corner entertainment center which is similar to my Show Hauler which I really, really like. I hate when they put the TV up front over the driver and passengers head, since I have kids and they are going to watch tv while driving. Didn't care for the fireplace, under the TV. My wife was in love with the kitchen area, very well thought out. I loved the easy rest couch, ceiling fan, control center, the big windows next to the dining area, and much more. For the first time I felt like the interior was pretty comparable to my Show Hauler. Although trim, doors, cabinets are thinner, everything felt real and pretty substantial. Obviously, I am aware of weight issues so I can understand the reasoning for trimming things up. But for the first time it did not feel like a major compromise to me.

The bathroom area was nice, but hated the small shower, definitely would want that bigger somehow. Back bedroom was great, lots of storage. One thing I didn't understand was the use of another type of wood (or at least color) in the rear closet. I also noticed they used a different color wood in the outside entertainment center. I am all about continuity so that kinda bugged me. The drivers area is very cool, love the setup, love all of the systems available at your finger tips.

Exterior storage is huge, the sewer bay is well throughout, I have cord reels, so glad to see those in use. I am sure there where a ton of things I missed, but what I did see, made me think that I could cross over to a pusher.

After we met up and walked the rest of the show we where continually comparing all other pushers to the Horizon. Although there where a few features here and there we liked in other manufacturers, the Horizon definitely won out. And if it would have been up to my family we would have been driving home in a new Horizon.

Obviously, I would need to drive one along with crawl all over it for at least 1/2 a day before I could be absolutely sure this is the rig for me. But my initial impressions are that the Winnebago Horizon is one well thought out RV, and it looks like when it's time to make a change the Horizon is going to be at the top of the list.

Bill
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Bill,you'll make "Big Trace" very jealous with your post as he's waiting for his own Horizon.

Regatta Blue Winnie Pic
The blue is still available in 2006,not sure where you were looking,but the link is from Winnie's site.

Since I have a Winnie dealer really close I bought a Vectra,but the only options I did not buy were the "residential looking" ceiling fans,the conventional oven and the dishwasher.

My brother has my "old" '04 Journey and is looking at the Dynamax similar to what you're driving,so maybe Winnie will lose him as a customer and gain you...

Now if I don't miss my guess,where's that Winnie bashers post?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Same thing happened to us about 2 years ago. I share your dislike for the TV over the driver, so the console mounted TV was a real plus.
We tried to make a deal but the Horizon dealer couldn't come to our terms, so we went down the street to the Winny dealer and immediately fell in love with the Vectra. Identical to the Horizon, but we liked the exterior colors better and the dealer was willing to deal.
We love ours.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warpath:
Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill,

Winney products weren't even on my 'radar' when we were coach shopping. I was focused on Newmar, Country Coach, Travel Supreme and Monaco products.

Value for the money, fit and finish, well thought out electrical/plumbing of the Vectra/Horizon were clearly superior to others in my opinion.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bill,

Sounds like your sold just as I was. The exterior color is called "Regatta Blue". Another RV friend of mine bought that one while I got the "Antelope" version which are derivatives of tan and brown. I test drove one and I have to say it is extremely nice. The independant front suspension and the 400hp Cummins really makes it go. I to was a bit disappointed with the size of the shower, but I also thought that "I'm not in here much anyways, so why do I care that much?" I ordered the exact interior you saw with the chocolate brown and honey cherry cabinets. It is striking to say the least. The reasons we went to the Horizon was strictly for the Ultra-Leather!!. What a dream. Here's my top 25 reasons from an RV.net thread I posted on:

Posted: 01/14/06 06:06pm Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This topic is fresh for us since we have about another month before we pick up our new coach.

Here's the TOP 25 reasons we bought a 2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD.

1) Wanted to ERADICATE the over-cab TV. The squeaking always bothered me and it seemed such a foolish place to put a TV when 2 people are trying to watch it together. This floorplan has the TV in a console behind the passenger seat.
2) More power, our last MH was a CAT C7 330 with 860lbs of torque. It also had a rear radiator. The new coach has a 400HP Cummins ISL with 1280lbs of torque and a side radiator. Should stay cooler and pull much better over grades. The new coach is heavier but the new engine should compensate nicely. New engine also comes with 2 stage engine brakes vice exhaust only braking.
3) Full slide cabinet drawers and more cabinets than our last coach. Cabinets are also solid wood, not veneer on pressboard.
4) 4 Slides vice three in our last coach. Wanted more bedroom space.
5) Fully remote locking bins.
6) 3 camera rear view system vice single camera.
7) Stainless Appliance package standard.
8) Freestanding dining room table which has a dual purpose for us as a poker table.
9) Bedroom Vanity space built in.
10) INDEPENDANT FRONT SUSPENSION!! (This should have been mentioned several items above, but you get the point!!). The drive is un-believably better than solid axel.
11) Slide outs have the storage bins attached rather than bending over, underneath to get to the storage. Our last MH Fleetwood) had this feature too, and we really liked it.
12) Large full wall windows where dinig room is. Also dining room on the curb side overlooking the patio area.
13) Basement Air, much less noisy, no running window condensation, and less energy to run for whole coach (only about 21 amps).
14) 7'2" CEILING HEIGHT!!! (should have mentioned this above as well). I'm 6'1" tall and this makes ALOT of difference in the volume of space your in.
15) ULTRALEATHER, unbelievable when you sit in it, lay in it, whatever.
16) One piece fiberglass roof. Enough said.
17) Ability to get rid of the Washer/Dryer, spot light, supposed in-motion SAT dish. All of those things were either broken or unused in our last MH. We tried the Splendide once, abosolutely too long and wrinkled the clothing terribly. A big waste if you ask me.
18) Full size toilet!!. I'm not a big guy, but I enjoy my elongated toilet I have in my house. The last MH had one of those small round units. Terrible on the tush.
19) Heater combined with Heat Pumps coming up through the floor rather than through side vents.
19) Speaking of heaters, they were smart and put the heaters outside venting on the street side vice the patio side. They also vented the hot water heater on the side as well. HATED that about our Fleetwood. Very Noisy.
20) Smartwheel vs. no smartwheel. Enough said there.
21) Slide out locks for all the slides. If you've ever had a slide creep problem, you'll love this.
22) Dishwasher and Fireplace. We have a dish drawer in our home and look forward to using it on the road.
23) Tank Capacities. Much better than former unit.
24) Forgot an important one, All of the control panels are located in the central portion of the coach vice over the passengers seat in one of the upper cabinets. This was annoying and not a good place to check your levels. We were always falling into or stradling the open step area.
25) Last but not least, the wife loved the floorplan and so did I which allowed me to buy her!!!....

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigTrace:
25) Last but not least, the wife loved the floorplan and so did I which allowed me to buy her!!!.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was able to buy one motorhome....I've bought and PAID FOR the wife many times over!!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote