Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Thermostat question

Our 35T's front thermostat has an option for gas heat or electric heat. I've got it set currently to Gas.

Our bedroom thermostat just has Heat. There is no gas option. It was my understanding that heat pumps don't work at low temps, and that the heating operation automatically switches to the gas furnace when outside temps are low. It's in the 20's today, though, and the rear unit is on, but blowing cool (not cold) air.

Should I have just the front unit on Gas, and the rear unit Off? Or, could this indicate a problem I'll need to get looked at, i.e. auto-switchover to gas perhaps not working for the rear unit? (This rig is new to us, and I'm not sure how to proceed.)

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
our 2016 Suncruiser 38Q has essentially the same setup as you describe. the electric heat is effective on coolish nights but not below freezing temperatures. and AFAIK, and my owner's manual backs me up, there is no automatic cutover from electric to gas heat at a certain outdoor or indoor temp. t

his is what we do on nights where heat is required. if it's coolish I turn on the electric fireplace up front and set it to whatever temp is appropriate...usually 72-76. that will usually provide enough warmth in the rear bedroom to make it comfy with a light blanket. we don't use the electric heat...too noisy. if it's cold we run the gas heat in zone 1 again set to whatever temp is appropriate. there is a floor vent in our bedroom that is connected to the lp funace. we are usually comfy cozy. check your bedroom and see if you also have a floor vent.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
there is a floor vent in our bedroom that is connected to the lp funace. we are usually comfy cozy. check your bedroom and see if you also have a floor vent.
We do, yes. And your reply confirms what I'd suspected - only LP on front heat. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If you have the front unit on electric heat and it gets 4 degrees behind in temp it will turn on the gas furnace to assist.

Tags
thermostat