Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thermostat problem 1996 Winnebago Vectra

Our 1996 Vectra has 33,000 miles on it, so not overused. Our Air has a mind of its own. When we use the a/c, compressor will turn on and off every 2 or 3 minutes for a while. Sometimes it stays on and works fine, not accurately but works. The thermostat slide bar to select the temp you want really doesn't mean much. If you put the temp at 75, it will cool a little then turn off (in auto). Once we turned on the "fan -low"( Non auto) and pulled the temp down to 60, the fan ran and the a/c worked fine (temp went down to 60) But in auto you have to slide the side lever up and down, sometimes it works, mostly not, but a/c works good with fan on constantly. Is this a thermostat problem? We think it is as the a/c is cold. I thought I would try to find a replacement for the thermostat but it is a older Coleman 117238-01-01A Heat and Air. What can I replace it with? Camping world doesn't seem to have an answer. Is the Coleman Mach thermostat compatible?: Anyone have any suggestions?:
hawkeye7416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am dealing with a very similar situation as far as the turning off & on several times in a very very short period of time. I timed it, 15 times in 6:30 minutes/seconds. Winnebago suggested a new thermostat. The t-stat helped, but still not right. However my mh is a 2013 and probably not at all like yours. But I think if I were you I would call Winnebago's help line for their reccomendation.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Is that a basement or roof air system? The thermostat on the basement air needs to interface with the controller on the unit especially if it is a staged system that has to register how far off from the set point you are to set the mode to one or two compressors running.

Calling the Winnebago service advisor will get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

thermostat problem Winnebago

It is a basement ducted air dual compressor system. I believe the compressor is working fine as it can get very cool in the mh if we turn the fan on and let the cool air run on fan. the AUTO setting is what seems not functioning correctly. Do you have any idea what tstat would work? would a Coleman Mach?
hawkeye7416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Take a look at this post

Honeywell Thermostat Installation
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sort of sounds like low freon in the AC to me. Might get it checked and serviced. I did have a problem with one of mine last summer, turned out to be a piece of insulation had come loose and was blocking the air flow. Pull down the inner cover and look around a bit. Could also just be dirty snd needs blowing out of the coils.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That basement air unit is two separate ac systems in one box. On automatic the first compressor comes on at first and then after a few minutes if the temperature difference is more than two degrees from what it is set at then the second compressor tries to start. You could have something as simple as a bad hard start device on the start capacitor for the second compressor. On a 30 amp site you may need to flip the single compressor or 30 amp switch in the cabinet above the microwave.

You have more diagnosis to do before arbitrarily replacing the thermostat.

My first coach was a 1995 Vectra 33RQ with basement air. Those early basement air systems required 50 amps to run both compressors but would cool remarkably well even in the dog days of a Florida summer on just one compressor.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I am dealing with a very similar situation as far as the turning off & on several times in a very very short period of time. I timed it, 15 times in 6:30 minutes/seconds. Winnebago suggested a new thermostat. The t-stat helped, but still not right. However my mh is a 2013 and probably not at all like yours. But I think if I were you I would call Winnebago's help line for their reccomendation.

dsbike, I know this thread is old but did you ever get your problem solved? if so what did you do? Mine is doing the exact same as what you stated here.
LNDIXON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Lndixon, I did get this fixed with the help of this forum & specifically Dengraham.
The following is the information he gave me: " Let me try to help with these issues, if I can.
First, it is not the thermostat nor the sensor; it is the a/c controller. Call Eric Botts at RVP (RV Products) at Airxcel. The only number I have is (316) 832-3400. He told me it was a compatibility problem issue between the control box and the thermostat. The early version (mine was built in October of 2012) of the 2013 42E had the wrong controller. Winnebago at Forest City replaced my controllers for each heat pump and I no longer have the problem."
With this said, I am not sure how early the coach needs to be , because mine was built summer/fall 2012. I first took this info to my dealer service department due to still being under warranty. They made a few phone calls to Eric Bott but I think he was on vacation that week, in the mean time I also called Mr Bott & was able to speak with him. He confirmed this to be the problem. He sent me 3 new controllers, no charge did not want the old one back, I installed them myself, took about 1 hour. Now the heat pumps work great.
I highly suggest you call Mr Bott & let him know what is going on. If I remember correctly he needed the part number from the back of the thermostat.
Our june electric bill last year was $150, I installed them the 1st of July, our July bill was $80 & July was hotter than June, we are fulltimers.

This is the thread that started the final solution if you want to read the whole thing.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/itas...2e-183639.html
Hope this fixes your problem, let us know.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat, winnebago