Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Texas Class B Non-CDL - How?

We are hoping to replace our View with a 2023 Journey (if Winnebago ever starts delivering them...).

It appears we will need a Class B non-Commercial Driver License, requiring passing written and skills tests.

We checked the Texas DPS website - and there isn't any information on how to get the non-CDL B license.

If you've gone through this - would appreciate advice on the steps we'll need to take.

And - if you have use your Class A for the skills test - and you're supposed to have the non-CDL B to drive your Class A - how does that work?
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are two types of licenses for Class B: Class B CDL and Class B. The Class B license will not have any words associated with the words CDL on the issued license. (Of course, things can change)

With that, the study guide for the Class A,B is actually the CDL study guide. If you can take those sectional tests and pass them reading the manual you will pass the Class B written test.
Also you will need to fill out form CDL-2. The instructions paragraph un that form states the purpose of the form. It does reference Class a, b non-commercial driver license.

Basically the federal government classifies CDL vehicles by GVWR and anything over 26000 pounds is a CDL but certain categories do not require a CDL just a Class A or B. Recreational vehicles are one of the categories.

There is no difference in the written test for a Class A and Class B.

Study This Manual

Good luck
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Team

There is a driving test, too. I suggest you search over at irv2.com. There is a lot of discussion over there on this, including the driving test details.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

And some places ask you to parallel park.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
And some places ask you to parallel park.
Yes, but not all Texas DPS offices have room for that and they skip that part. So, you have to do your research and pick the right place.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Yes, but not all Texas DPS offices have room for that and they skip that part. So, you have to do your research and pick the right place.
Yep, said "some!"
Old 10-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The number of people applying for Texas non-CDL A/B licenses must be relatively low, because the materials posted on the DPS website and the website itself don't provide any details on getting the non-CDL A/B licenses, other than providing a list of the test sites.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Agree thsy they do not make it easy to find a study guide. Both the DL-7 and DL-7C manuals cover a non-CDL license but not which one to use as a study guide.

My first CDL was back in 1984-85 time frame and I can assure you that over the past 40 or so years the manuals have changed and eve some of the information has changed or been deleted.

I'm going to assume that anyone going for a Class A, B license has (most likely) a Class C. A refresher of DL-7 would most definitely benefit from re-visiting that guide. Then I would study the CDL guide, DL-7C. A thorough knowledge of both of those guides should allow anyone to pass the written test for either license.

The skills portion of the DL is up to the individual's capabilities. Just go slow.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
Site Team

I've heard other's in Texas that have taken both the written and driving test that they concentrate on air brake systems quite a lot and you have to show a complete understanding in that system.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The air brake section is really not that bad. Read it and understand it and there should be no problems. I one takes the test in a vehicle without air brakes there will be a restriction put on the Class A/B that states the individual cannot drive a vehicle with air brakes.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just got my Class B

I just finished the process. I agree there isn't much information and it is very confusing (and the DPS employees don't always know what they are doing).

Here is what you need to know.

Go to any location to begin the application process and take the written test. The test will be on a computer. 20 questions from Section 14 of the CDL book. Questions like heights and colors of clearance lights. Where to place hazard triangles when broken down. Know the numbers. There is nothing driving or vehicle related. You have to score a 70% or better.

Then you can schedule your driving test. These are only done at "Super Centers". You can find the locations online.

My driving test was 15 minutes. Check the lights. Then driving. Left and right turns. A couple of questions about awareness - what was the speed limit? I did not have to park or reverse.

You can do this all at one time but if you fail the written part you can't do the driving test.

I hope this helps.
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote