Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Taking Delivery of 2016 Ellipse 42HD

Finally!!!!! After retiring from the military, selling 2 houses, and trying to find the right rig, we are finally getting ready to take delivery of a 2016 Ellipse 42HD. Other than an in depth walk-through, are there any particular items I should be searching for in this make and model? We are planning on full-timing for the next few years. I have already completed a thorough search of the forums and have added the following to check on.

"Check to see that the coach batteries are fairly new (a friend's 16 Ellipse has 2013 batteries - and lots of problems)
- Ensure A/Cs have the 'D' model compressor fans
- Have the dealer contact Aqua-Hot and ensure the 4 pumps are latest model (and not part of recent run of bad pumps)
- Ensure the rear bath window will open when the window awning is open and the strap is attached"

Anything else you can think of??
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Seems like you are on the right track.

After the 2012 Tour series, Winnebago for reasons unknown ($$$) switched the slide mechanism from Power Gear to a very inferior system. And the problems snowballed !!

You may have to pay a little for an "expert"" to check all (full wall) the slides. Just because it may say Power Gear, it's NOT the 2012 and older systems which were very dependable. The slide problem appears on this site quite often.

Lastly, practice hooking up and disconnecting you tow car...Then make a checklist in big bold print and use it just like your previous driving job required. Good luck.

Kerry...CWO, USA, Ret. "B" model at 80 knots, what a thrill !
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have the dealer test all the batteries. It doesn't matter when they were made. What matters is if they have been abused. Take your time on the PDI maybe a full day or two. Check all systems. Jacks, slide outs,dishwasher, aqua hot, everything. If possible stay close to dealer and make them fix everything they can before you leave. Make sure you understand all systems. Lastly look at the Freightliner tag by the drivers seat wall for the date of manufacture of your coach. If it over a year have the dealer do the annual service on the chassis. Oil change, lube, and filters. All chassis service should be preformed as of the manufacturer date not in service date. This comes directly from Freightliner from there Camp Freightliner Class I attended last month.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank folks, I appreciate all the info.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wow, so in the Army with flying a helicopter we have to read and pretty much memorize the owners manual, also known as the -10 (dash ten). I thought it was challenging to read the 1,500 plus technical pages for my $38 million dollar helicopter. Yesterday I brought back the binders for the RV. Holy cow, I am going to be here for a while. LOL. I thought the documents for my travel trailer were a lot. With that being said, how long has it taken for you to "learn" your coach from your experience? How does everyone keep track of the millions of maintenance and service related items that are always due, like filters, oil changes, etc.? Has anyone created a spreadsheet to track it or do you have a specific app you have put everything in to?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

One last question, this photo is from the master bathroom toilet. Is this gap between the toilet and the wood trim normal? Is this a design flaw on Winnebagos part? If you have the same gap, did you cover it somehow?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4118.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	156868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4117.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	156869
Old 04-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have the same toilet but there isn't a gap like the one you show here. Add it to your list. My husband flew helicopters in VietNam and says this coach is WAY more detailed! Of course that was many years ago. We've had our Ellipse42HD for a year and are still learning about it. The Winnebago luggage bag goes with us every time we go out. There will be things to work out for awhile so be patient and enjoy your coach. We do every chance we get. This forum is a great tool too.
Tev
Old 04-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just went back and looked again at the toilet and there is a gap however it's straight and not at an angle. So you might want them to check it and make sure it's secure.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks
Old 04-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations on your new coach.

I have to ask which helicopter you flew?

I'm a Vietnam Chinook helicopter flight engineer with many emergencies and one crash. I retired in 95.

As you know in an emergency situation you initiate emergency procedures and follow up with the check list.

For those not in the military emergency proceedures are memorized and checked extensively during the annual check ride. It wasn't unusual for a pilot and copilot to be checking each other on emergency procedures keeping sharp.

In a motor home you pull over and call your road side assistance number.

It is helpful to understand the systems and know how to troubleshoot problems.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Retired Helo Pilot,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Enjoy your new coach. If it has hydraulic leveling jacks you want to make sure they extend properly and don't leak, I know of cases where they don't always work correctly. Close the sliding door going into the bedroom, one I looked at drug so badly you could hardly move it, it was a new 2015 ellipse. Also check where the body hangs down between the drive and tag axles, a 2016 Tour we looked at the same day was missing a bracket that stiffens that area. These are complex machines and will have issues from time to time. I know the Chinook is a very complicated machine also but it has a very strict maintenance schedule for obvious reasons. Unfortunately for these high end coaches, I think the philosophy is get em out the door and let the dealer fix issues. I am not picking on Winnebago, I think it is most manufactures. That toilet should not have been like that though. You do have a beautiful coach and I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it.

Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Congratulations on your new coach.

I have to ask which helicopter you flew?

I'm a Vietnam Chinook helicopter flight engineer with many emergencies and one crash. I retired in 95.
. JD
You didn't even have to ask, Lol, there is ONLY one helicopter, the CH-47. I started off in D models and then when the new F models came out I flew them. I just retired last October after 24 years
Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Personally after the problems when our Forza was new I'd seriously suggest camping at the nearest campground or State Park [50 amp]and utilize every component for two or three days. This is to include breaking down each morning to run the jacks and slides. Flush the tanks, run the generator with a/c's on.

Advise the dealer you are doing this and INSURE if you need to come back you will be taken asap. Test, test, test!
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
Personally after the problems when our Forza was new I'd seriously suggest camping at the nearest campground or State Park [50 amp]and utilize every component for two or three days. This is to include breaking down each morning to run the jacks and slides. Flush the tanks, run the generator with a/c's on.

Advise the dealer you are doing this and INSURE if you need to come back you will be taken asap. Test, test, test!
This is excellent advice. We have done that with the last few motorcoaches, and it pays off in finding the irritating things drive you bananas. Good luck!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote