Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tailgate package mini fridge Vista 29VE

Hello. I have a 2019 vista 29ve. I was wondering is anyone found a way to keep their tailgate fridge running without having to be plugged in to shoreline. Looking for suggestions. When we bought our rig, we were told it would run on the inverter. It doesn’t. TIA
treiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have the same unit except it’s a 2020. Ours runs whenever the coach is running. Unless we actually turn the thermostat dial to off.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It should run easily on the inverter. Your problem is likely related to not having it plugged into an inverter feed outlet or battery issues. Check your Winn owners manual or download the electrical schematic to see which outlets are on the inverter. Make sure the inverter is on and you should install a Tril-L-Start - which will split the chassis battery charge when the engine is running and divert some of the charge to your house batteries. They will need such a device as an inveter fed fridge could deplete your house batteries quickly. You should have 2 or more batteries to successfully run the fridge on the road. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a bit different view on the Trickle-Start use?
I think the coach batteries will be connected to the chassis and alternator at any time the engine is running. But the trickle-start does let the chassis battery get some sharging from the coach batteries when there is power to them and they are higher than the chassis batteries.
A good way to keep the parasitic drains from killing the start/chassis battery while it is stored but not need ed for charging the coach batteries as the engine running does that already?
I'm open to correction if this is not the case on this particular year/make/model!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Morich
Fully agree with you .... I got it a** backwards - the Trik-L-Start charges the chassis batteries when engine is off and the house batteries are charging when he is travelling so no need for the Trik -L-Start. Thanks,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Can you tell me where the thermostat is on the outside refrigerator? I have not been able to find one.
mudslidemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
2017 Vista 29ve

The dial is in the back (outside back). You have to reach over to turn it.
At least that is where mine is on my 2017 29ve tailgate fridge
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On my 2020 I have an Insignia brand refrigerator..The main plug in is on the back wall but the on/off Thermostat control is inside the unit on the right hand side..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
2017 Vista 29ve

Speaking about the minifridge in the outside kitchen, I have had to put a hard latch on my 2017 fridge door, so that it does not open while travellling. Has that gotten any better in the newer fridge. Otherwise if you have it full when you leave, and then open the main (big outside) door when you arrive, and have cans and eggs falling out, and the fridge running with the door open, and much of the contents flopping out onto the ground.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ha Ha..just another Gotcha when it comes to RV life.. We have not had that problem so far, but we tend to have the fridge empty when travelling. It's got a pretty good magnetic door seal but I can just imagine the mess if it did pop open.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
2017 Vista 29ve

And while we're talking about gotchas with the 29ve outdoor kitchen.

Make sure that nothing can roll around on the countertop, and do something like hit the water knob and start the water running (I usually have my pump turned on while traveling)
because the drain in that kitchen can only hold 10 gallons, and the freshwater tank holds much more than that. So say you were going on a 7 hour trip, had your freshwater tank full, pump is on, and something opens(bumps) the water faucet knob. You will get to your destination and wonder "where did all my freshwater go?". Open the kitchen, and see the sink overflowed, and all the drawers are full of water, and the whole sealed area under the sink is full of about 60 gallons of water. There is no drain there as it is sealed up. Makes quite a mess, and I worried about submerging the transfer pump in that area. I had to remove that and clean/dry, as the transfer pump then locked up.

Just some more fun having an outside kitchen on a 29ve.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteSS View Post
Speaking about the minifridge in the outside kitchen, I have had to put a hard latch on my 2017 fridge door, so that it does not open while travellling. Has that gotten any better in the newer fridge. Otherwise if you have it full when you leave, and then open the main (big outside) door when you arrive, and have cans and eggs falling out, and the fridge running with the door open, and much of the contents flopping out onto the ground.

We had the same issue on our 2019 Vista 29VE. When it first happened we tried putting a pool noodle across the front of the minifridge before we closed the outside door. This worked and was a good temp solution. The pool noodle is just about the right size to hold the door closed. We have since added a stick-on child lock that works much better.
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge