Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Surge Protector

I have a 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD . Do I need a surge protector or is built in?
Ltwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There's no mention of one in the operator manual, so I would say it's not built-in unless one was added by a previous owner:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...011/11Tour.pdf

Personally, I think a surge protector is highly desirable if not essential. I added one after a shore power issue trashed my microwave in the TT I owned before my MH. I transferred my surge suppressor from my TT to my MH. You can buy either a portable surge protector or a built-in one. Adding a built-in one is a pretty straight-forward DIY project assuming you're relatively handy and are comfortable with tasks like changing out an electrical outlet in your house.

There are quite a few threads on both Winnieowners.com and IRV2.com on the subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=surg...nnieowners.com
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I strongly recommend getting more than a surge protector. A full EMS with multiple protection functions is really what is needed. Progressive makes a nice one that is very popular. During 4 years of camping in multiple locations our EMS has saved us several times from low voltage situations but never a surge.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The 2011 Tour did not have surge suppression unless it was added after market. The 2012 did have limited surge suppression through the Surge-Guard 41260 Transfer Switch Winnebago started using. That's what mine came with, but I replaced it with a full surge suppression Surge Guard 40350 RVC with remote. I really didn't want two surge guard systems in series so I replaced mine with a better one. Because you don't have one, you have a lot of options including Surge-Guard, Progressive Industries, and either built in or portable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge upgrade-014.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	170893  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Even before we bought our Minnie Winne I read some horror stories like Bob's, so I bought a pretty decent 30 amp model from TechnoRV. It cost about $150.00, but considering the potential for damage I considered it money well spent. Here's an example of the potential value of one of these expensive accessories: On one of our campground stops on the way back to Alaska last fall I hooked up as normal but when I went back inside the Mrs said we didn't have any AC power. Went back out to check on the electrical and sure enough the protector had detected a problem - I think it was an open neutral (might have been open ground). Since it was a bit late and I really didn't want to move to another site, I decided we would just run on internal power that night.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A builtin PI EMS is one of the first things I add to an RV. To me its no option. I know others have gone like 20 years without one and that's fine. But power can be very ify out there.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltwise View Post
I have a 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD . Do I need a surge protector or is built in?
My coach is the little sister to yours. Electrically they are common in most areas. The EMS used is a tough little bugger, well designed and self protecting. We have been in several power outages that I know started with a big surge, like when a tree falls just down the street and takes out the power. Not a problem. In low power times, brown-out conditions, the system isolates the coach and we go to inverter power.
My biggest concern is when we are plugging in. If the neutral is not solid many of the more sensitive appliances in the coach can get cooked: inverter, convection oven, etc.
My recent solution is a test box I designed. I can see the voltage on each leg and the sum of the 2 legs with it. I can test the neutral and ground and even the stability of the pedestal connections and outlet under a light load such as a hair dryer or space heater. A friend, a fellow volunteer, has one of these boxes as of this week. He oversees several of our locations and is going to test the quality of the power on the RV sites that these ministries provide for us when we work for them. This will be the first field trial.

I have not had any issues over the years with the neutral but I have had many poor pedestal power or outlet issues. On the other hand, this forum has had several posts over the years about the neutral issue.
Hope this is not TMI. Happy trails. Rick Y
Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
My recent solution is a test box I designed. I can see the voltage on each leg and the sum of the 2 legs with it. I can test the neutral and ground and even the stability of the pedestal connections and outlet under a light load such as a hair dryer or space heater... Happy trails. Rick Y
Rick, can you share your design with us?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Rick, can you share your design with us?
I wish I could! Winnebago, in all of their wisdom of that time period, decided to proprieties most of their schematic wiring diagrams. At one point I knew the name of the manufacture of the power management system. But, having not the need for it these days and the fact that I just got up, I can't remember. I can't recall how I found the name either. Try taking the cover off the breaker panel and look to see if there is a name on the control module within it. Intel a something??? All I know is that I have been very impressed with the way it has functioned and saved the coach from common electrical problems from the pedestal. I know it does a ground and neutral test and shows the results on the display.

My brain is slowly absorbing blood oxygen. I found this website: www.precisioncircuitsinc.com. I think these are the folks that make the system.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I wish I could! Winnebago, in all of their wisdom of that time period, decided to proprieties most of their schematic wiring diagrams. At one point I knew the name of the manufacture of the power management system. But, having not the need for it these days and the fact that I just got up, I can't remember. I can't recall how I found the name either. Try taking the cover off the breaker panel and look to see if there is a name on the control module within it. Intel a something??? All I know is that I have been very impressed with the way it has functioned and saved the coach from common electrical problems from the pedestal. I know it does a ground and neutral test and shows the results on the display.

My brain is slowly absorbing blood oxygen. I found this website: www.precisioncircuitsinc.com. I think these are the folks that make the system.

I'm confused, I thought you wrote that you designed a test box, what does that have to do with the PMS?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm confused, I thought you wrote that you designed a test box, what does that have to do with the PMS?
Sorry Bob.

I read the forums when I first get up. I am just getting over a cold. And I am old. And the coffee is still brewing. This formula adds up to me missing your topic all together. Whoops! My mind was still on the coach power.
The test box I designed is a simple device in theory but a bit of work to assemble. I got a 4x4x2" Carlon junction box from Home Depot. The other components come from Amazon. PM me and I'll email you the list.
It is three meters wired to read the ~240V across L1 & L2 and the ~120V of L1 and L2 separately. A three position switch and LED light makes for a ground and neutral test circuit. I added a second single gang Carlon box with a split duplex outlet mounted in it. Each half of the outlet is wired to either L1 or L2. When you use a hair drier or space heater as a load in these outlets, if there is a problem with neutral or ground it will reflect in the meters by a drop of voltage on the bad leg. The above switch is used in this test.
My friend is now testing the latest version of this test box. He discovered that the G/N test is not working as intended. The lamp stays on when it should be off. I am working on that one. We just got the box from me and is still evaluating it. The one I have needs the load test add-on. Hope to get to it this weekend. My first project, though, is to finish my DW's plant stand for the dash. I know how to keep her happy.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks, Rick. I love electronic projects (I'm also a ham radio operator). Looking forward to getting it.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Rick,
Are you sure your Precision Control Instruments EMS has surge? I have the same EMS and it does manage overload and sheds loads, but it has no surge protection capabilities what so ever. That is the responsibility of the factory Surge Guard 41260 in front of it, which I don't believe you had in 2011.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Rick, how is the functionality of your test box any different from what a Progressive EMS does?
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Another vote for a surge guard. Had a voltage spike from a pedestal and it took out my converter/charger, convection/microwave, and inverter. Thankfully I had an extended warranty and it paid for everything except the $100 deductible. About $2100.
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
Rick,
Are you sure your Precision Control Instruments EMS has surge? I have the same EMS and it does manage overload and sheds loads, but it has no surge protection capabilities what so ever. That is the responsibility of the factory Surge Guard 41260 in front of it, which I don't believe you had in 2011.
We bought this coach used. In the years we have been on the road full-timing we have worked at many old camps. The RV parking is often very outdated and in desperate need of upgrade. The onboard systems of this rig has handled all of the pedestal problems very well.

I can't, with ease, find out what is wired to what because the company does not provide wiring schematics for this coach. Only diagrams. You cold be right. but my experience with the rig says that there is something at the receiving end of the shore cord that is protecting the electrical systems.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Rick, how is the functionality of your test box any different from what a Progressive EMS does?
The test box is for pre-plugin testing of the pedestal.

Because we are often the first in to a project I am always concerned about the power condition for the folks following. This box is a new thing to me. So far it seems to be working but with a few bug yet to be worked out. The goal of testing before a rig plugs in is to identify obvious problems like poor connections that cause voltage drops. That is what the load test is for. The big problem to find before plugging is a poor or failed neutral. This box should help to detect it.

I was at a rally for our group a few months back. One of the feeds to the 50A pedestal was failing in the ground. One of our members had tested all of the sites with a meter and did not see this problem. I had not invented the test box yet. When the neighbors lost their power it got me to thinking and this box is what came of it.

PM me and I can give you more information if you wish.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We bought this coach used. In the years we have been on the road full-timing we have worked at many old camps. The RV parking is often very outdated and in desperate need of upgrade. The onboard systems of this rig has handled all of the pedestal problems very well.

I can't, with ease, find out what is wired to what because the company does not provide wiring schematics for this coach. Only diagrams. You cold be right. but my experience with the rig says that there is something at the receiving end of the shore cord that is protecting the electrical systems.
I don't think you actually do, and you probably have been lucky. I went 30 years without any surge protection and didn't have any issues, at least I didn't know I did. As I read it, the Intellitec Powerline Energy Management System has no surge or protection properties beyond overload. I would verify for sure, as I think you might be in the market for a surge suppression system.