Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sunstar winter camping?

We just got our 2018 Sunstar this year and as the weather gets cold, I was wondering about the internal water lines freezing. We don't plan to go when it's super cold, but if it gets into the 20s overnight and I have the heater on, will everything be okay? I know not to have a water hose hooked up. I'm sure some folks on this forum have some experience here. I'm just concerned because plumbing problems and I don't get along. Thanks for the feedback.
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

I camped in ours when it went into the high 20’s overnight, and all was fine when using my heater set to 55 at night. However, the temperature only dipped for a night rather than several days in a row, so your situation may be different. If connected to electricity, I might add a small heater to the wet bay, for instance. Best of luck!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Like Al says, a drop into the 20's overnight followed by above freezing days should be no problem. Especially with the heater on.

Heck, even here in South Texas my RV in storage sees temps as low as 19 to 20 degrees but the days are warmer (it's 74 here today). We never winterize and we never have any issues. The very occasional times it's in the teens and 20s for more than 24 hours we'd bring the RV to the house so we could run the heater. But that's only happened once.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My Sunstar has been down to 9 degrees overnight in Provo, UT. Nothing froze. The furnace has hot air passages that lead to the plumbing areas, so run the furnace all night set to at least 62 or so.

I can find no furnace air passages to the hot water heater area, and there's a lot of plumbing back there. So make sure to leave the hot water heater on as well.

Cheers!
Old 01-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We've had our Vista out in single digit weather several times and have had no issues with plumbing above the floor. If your basement or wet bay areas are not heated then you may have some issues there. We have had the black and grey water tank valves freeze up (but not enough to break them). We solved that with a small (150 watt) heater in the wet bay.
Harvey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter