Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2022, 06:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sunstar 29VE Lounge TV Audio Out - Where does it go?

While tinkering around with the lounge TV in my somewhat recently acquired 2017 Sunstar 29VE I noticed a cable plugged into the 'audio out' jack on the lounge TV.

Question: Where does that TV audio cable go to?

I've read the owners manual (almost useless), read every PDF available on the Winnebago web site (can't find actual schematics, just build diagrams), and searched this site. No answers yet. I have tried setting the dash radio to 'AUX' and no TV sound so I assume that this audio cable does not end up there.

What I want to do is run the lounge TV sound to the 'AUX' input of the dashboard radio. It would be nice if I knew where the existing TV audio cable currently runs to, it might save me from running a complete new audio cable between the 2 devices.

Can anybody with a 29VE tell me if their lounge TV sound comes out anywhere other than the built-in TV speakers? If so, where?

Thanks in advance!
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 29VE and the TV audio does not come out through the Aux (or any other) input in the stereo. The only place I get the TV audio is via the built-in TV speakers.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have the Vista 29, and I've not been able to get the sound out through anything but the TV speakers. I suspect that the previous owner had something else , soundbar, etc plugged into the cable.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Generally, the TV output is something that can be directed to your RV's sound system. I know in my Adventurer it is a non-intuitive process that is not really explained anywhere.

I tried it once, but found it not very helpful. I had to change some settings on the RV's LG Home Theater/DVD device and make some changes in the TV's audio settings to both select the Aux Output in the TV's menu AND change the output format.

This may not apply to your Sunstar 29VE at all. I only mention it because it might be helpful in figuring out a way to do what you'd like.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We were not happy with the sound through the tv on ours, so I installed a sound bar and secured it to the top of the tv. I’ll bet that the previous owner did something similar and removed it. You have to take the tv off the wall to plug the jacks in. I’m sure he just chose to leave the wires.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Not sure of several things here, so some questions may help?
I assume this is a second owner Rv and things may have been added/changed?
Is there anything to show this would be OEM wiring or added? Does it run exposed more than expected as something to show it might be added after built?

Looking at the drawings of the TV, I first wanted to check that I was looking at the correct TV!

This drawing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000181675.pdf
Sheet two? Is this the correct TV?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	183769

If correct, the drawings do not show any connection to the audio out, making it seem likely to be something added by a previous owner and leaving info on where the other end is as being pretty random guessing!

But as a second thought, have you checked all the settings in the menu to see if changing the output settings may get a different action?

Perhaps if it is a big enough issue, it would be time to go for one of the tone/ tracer setups that allow tracing wires in the walls?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Morich: Yes, that's the correct Insignia TV. Due to the way it's mounted it's pretty hard to see anything behind it. Maybe this weekend I will take the TV off the wall to get a better view of what's back there.

My son says he has a wire tracer, I will have to borrow it and see if it helps locate where this audio cable goes. I just have to get up enough ambition since this is not anything really important, it's just another project I would like to get done on the RV.

CarpeDiem: The sound from the TV speakers is ----- well, it's sound. The real issue I have is when I sit in the drivers seat (rotated back) and watch TV I have to turn the volume up pretty loud and whoever is at the dinette gets blasted. I want to have the sound come out of the dash radio as the location of those speakers would be much closer to where I would be sitting. To improve the sound quality of the dash radio I replaced the original speakers with new higher quality ones. I am also going to put a subwoofer+amp under the couch so as to, ummm, 'improve the dynamic range' . The subwoofer setup is currently in my old Crown Vic and since I don't use that car much I figured that the Winnebago now needs some more 'boom and thump'. It seems to me that Winnebago put in a decent dash radio and then killed it's sound with tiny lower quality speakers, nice clear mids and highs but absolutely no lows. A 12" sub should cure that.
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tracer on hand sounds like a good thing!
They can take a little bit tolearn bestway to use them so if they are handy, keepthem around ,too!
But if having some time, they may have only disconnected what they had added and that "might" leave some wire tails tucked back some place---if lucky enough for them to be near where you wanted. One might try pulling on the wires but that risks pulling them away from a spot where they might be handy, so not something I would do right away.

Maybe while waiting to get the trace tools, it might make sense to look very carefully at places where speakers may have been for signs of extra holes.etc where you might find wires hidden just behind a panel or something of that sort. It sounds like you have some experience with how wires might have been added and maybe some idea of the signs that might have left?

Any signs of semi-permanentmounting likevelcro, etc that might have held a speaker and been peeled off to remove it?

Looking for bread crumbs in the forest, huh? Thinking of how small speaker wire might be, it could be tough to spot. But if the installer was good on the install, he may have also not wanted to totally remove his good work!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I got lost at first because I have never heard of Lounge TV?

But I see you are talking the Main 40" over the Dinette table.

I have 2019 29VE

From factory I get sound from TV speakers and Sound from two outside speakers when I turn the TV/Radio Toggle button to TV that is next to the outside TV.

Insignia TVs and none smart TVs are not my thing especially for the Main Cabin TV. So I replaced with a Samsung 40" Smart TV, Wifi, bluetooth etc.

I had to custom cut the mounting brackets to expose the connections on my new Samsung. It was not that hard but kind of scary with a brand new coach.

I added a Visio M21D-H8R sound bar that had the built in woofer. Less space and electricity. It is great, portable and with bluetooth. It sits on the counter underneath TV. Connects with HDMI ARC because I have a DVD player as well. I also connected Optical sound wiring just because I had the TV down and it is backup if ever needed

The sound in the coach is Awesome. It is Theater on wheels.

One other item of note all 3 TVs are connected to a HDMI Switcher so what I send on HDM1 (Ultra Roku) goes to all 3 TVs on their respective HDM1. Of course the Main TV has it's own apps for Roku / You Tube etc.

and one more one other item of note Our coach was wired from factory will all HDMI cabling . It was the only 29VE that we saw that did not have the coax.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby5832708 View Post
It seems to me that Winnebago put in a decent dash radio and then killed it's sound with tiny lower quality speakers, nice clear mids and highs but absolutely no lows. A 12" sub should cure that.
I saw my Stock OEM speakers online for $10

I replaced the two in Cab / cabin area with Alpine. Major league difference.

We can actually play music from our phones to Pioneer System / Alpine Speakers and the Visio sound bar at the same time or any one or the other.

I have extra power cord for Visio Sound bar so sometimes I will take it outside, plug it up and I am in business.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
2017 Vista 29ve

My 2017 29ve did not have anything plugged into the audio out of the TV. So I would assume it is an add on. If the cable goes behind the TV, it will probably come out behind the end panel of the overhead (side) cabinet. I have an HDMI cable that follows that route.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio