Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sunova Overhead BED ISSUE

I have a 2016 Itasca Sunova 33C with a overhead bead over the driver/passenger seats. When the bed is in the stowed position, you cannot access the cabinets where the a/v/satellite equipment is located. Is this a design flaw? Looks like guides were installed about an inch too low. Winnebago says, "That's how it's designed." I cannot believe that they insist that granny must lower the bed, install the ladder, and lay across the bed to insert a DVD, change the video selector switches, etc. Also, anything with a remote will not work if the cabinet doors (made of wood) are closed?
n8558w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking at the floorplan for that model, it seems to have a retractable TV over in the main slide. Wouldn't above that in the overhead cabinets be a better spot for the a/v/sat equipment?

Any chance you can post a few pictures? I've seen some fairly poor RV designs before but this one really throws a curveball if true.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #3

Overhead bunk

We have a 2016 Itasca Sunstar 27N with the overhead bunk. Ours is the manual bunk, not powered. We can access our overhead cabinets, where our sat equipment is, while the bunk is in the stowed position. Friends of ours have the same year and model with the power bunk and they can also access their cabinets while the bunk is in the stored position. Hope this helps.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8558w View Post
I have a 2016 Itasca Sunova 33C with a overhead bead over the driver/passenger seats. When the bed is in the stowed position, you cannot access the cabinets where the a/v/satellite equipment is located. Is this a design flaw? Looks like guides were installed about an inch too low. Winnebago says, "That's how it's designed." I cannot believe that they insist that granny must lower the bed, install the ladder, and lay across the bed to insert a DVD, change the video selector switches, etc. Also, anything with a remote will not work if the cabinet doors (made of wood) are closed?
mine the dvd works off the dash stereo...and no problem with the cabinets
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Agreed, the positioning of the cabinet blocked by the bed sucks. Love the response, "that's how we designed it".
We also paid dearly for the power bed option on our 2014 Forza, fortunately you can access the upper cabinets. Actually it's a good thing as you "don't get no ladder'. How 'bout dem apples? You are expected to climb up on the passenger seat. Momma never let us climb on furniture and no one else is going to either.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your responses. After waiting 6 months for Camping World/Winnebago to fix this, I fixed it in 10 minutes. The upward travel on the bed is limited by a switch that contacts a metal plate. When the rig was manufactured, the metal plate was mounted too low, causing the bed to block the cabinets. I think I'll wait a while before I tell Winnebago, and as for Camping World, they can &*%^W##$))@@##!!!!!!!! I will never purchase anything from them again. They deserve all of the negative comments they're receiving. Yelp is burning up with their ineptness. And all Marcus Lemonis can do is try to be a TV star. Still have a floor issue I'm trying to get repaired that was supposed to be done before delivery.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. After waiting 6 months for Camping World/Winnebago to fix this, I fixed it in 10 minutes. The upward travel on the bed is limited by a switch that contacts a metal plate. When the rig was manufactured, the metal plate was mounted too low, causing the bed to block the cabinets. I think I'll wait a while before I tell Winnebago, and as for Camping World, they can &*%^W##$))@@##!!!!!!!! I will never purchase anything from them again. They deserve all of the negative comments they're receiving. Yelp is burning up with their ineptness. And all Marcus Lemonis can do is try to be a TV star. Still have a floor issue I'm trying to get repaired that was supposed to be done before delivery.

I guess I'm a little confused: in your first post, you stated 'Winnebago says, "That's how it's designed."' but in this post you complain about Camping World and mention negative comments on Yelp. Who actually stated 'that's how it's designed'? If it wasn't Camping World, and you did state Winnebago in your first post, the comments seem a little harsh.

Something seems to be mis-stated in one or the other of your posts. Marcus Lemonis certainly didn't build your motorhome, doesn't own Winnebago, and is not their CEO. I know I've contacted, by email, the Winnebago CEO three times regarding the well-known rusted windshield problems over a 10+ model-year period, and NEVER got a reply back. I can't blame Marcus or CW for that; Winnebago owns it, even if they deny the issue.

No doubt, buying a new motorhome can be a very frustrating adventure, with all the problems that show up at delivery and shortly thereafter, but the quality control really falls on the manufacturer, especially ones that always advertise their 'extensive quality-control' and testing BEFORE shipping from the factory. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Any service center has to have authorization from the manufacturer to order parts and do warranty work, hence, Camping World seeking permission from Winnebago. The comment from Winnebago on the design was to 2 different repair centers.

My beef with Camping World is their lack of knowledge in the sales force (my assumption since I don't want to accuse them of being dishonest) and their total incompetence at service. If their CEO wasn't so busy being a TV star, he could find out how poorly that company is being run. I have dealt with them from business and private relationships for over 10 years. I have also purchased 3 new motorhomes so I am aware of the initial shakedown periods. Those MH were from 3 manufacturers.

I really not busting somebody's chops maliciously, I think that these people need to understand the major investment that is made, treat their customers with respect and render service that is due in an acceptable manner.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I really not busting somebody's chops maliciously, I think that these people need to understand the major investment that is made, treat their customers with respect and render service that is due in an acceptable manner.
I agree with that statement in its entirety, but not as directed to Camping World, but rather Winnebago Industries. Winnebago built your motorhome, from start to finish, and chose its suppliers, not Camping World. Winnebago did the 'quality control', 'testing' and 'inspections' before leaving the factory. You know, the very things Winnebago likes to brag about in their brochures, flyers, website and their electronic mailings to its customers. Most RV manufacturers get a pretty big pass by us customers as to how the RV showed up, nowhere near 'delivery worthy', and then take it out on the dealer, often not even the selling dealer. If auto manufacturers did the same thing, they'd be long gone, especially based on what we pay for these things.

It a shame you've had bad experiences at Camping World; I've been with them off and on since 1995 and never had an issue or complaint. I'm sure there are many people with the same experiences as me, and naturally, many people with experiences like you. It's the nature of the beast when you do the annual dollar sales as Camping World, or any big corporation. Like Winnebago. I guess people who don't like the big-box experience, that's why we have small mom-and-pop stores for parts and service. I use them too and can tell you they typically don't win a trophy either, either for total costs, repair time or having to take it back once or twice for the same repair.

My best example is taking my motorhome to a non-Camping World enviroment three times and having the flooring cut open and wiring butchered to solve an electrical issue. Part of the 110v electrical circuit would be dead, and dead after all the 'repairs'. They made quite a mess and it turned out to be the oh-so-common tripped GFI issue.

So, we all have good and bad repair experiences, all over the US, and it isn't because some guy 'wants to be a TV star. It's the nature of us allowing RV manufacturers to deliver RV's with serious defects and issues, and then getting upset with the warranty and repair issues from the dealer level, and not holding the manufacturer to the same standard. My pet peeve is Winnebago's rusted windshield frames that can cost up to $4k for complete repair and can come back in as little as two years. Marcus certainly has nothing to do with that! -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote