Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Suncruiser won't start

I have a 2007 gas powered Suncruiser on a Workhorse chassis. Yesterday we started to pack up and move to a new location. I pushed the button to bring inn my HWH hydraulic powered slides and nothing happened. I did get a very small noise but no pump action occurred. I tried to start the motor and got a very light click, click but the motor did not turn over at all. It appeared that I had a dead battery. I tried jumping it from my toad but that didn't work. Then I called Coach Net. Their final answer was to check all the fuses and relays under the hood.. I did this but didn't find any out or charred so I went back and the motor started. We got the slides in, the jacks up and drove to our next location. By the way, we were afraid to stop the motor to get gas so we are under a 1/4 tank. Anyway, we got set up in the new campground and an hour or so later I tried to start the motor again and same problem. Motor would not turn over, the steps would only come in about half way, The dash display was not right, etc. I took the chassis battery out and went to NAPA and they tested it at 12.9 volts and 743 amps. So I brought it back and put it back in. By the way, the battery terminals were nice and clean. As soon as I reconnected the battery the steps went out to their full throw and so I tried to start the motor again. It started right up! What is going on?? It sounds to me like I may have a poor ground somewhere. I thought it might be a solenoid but I don't think the starter circuit goes through the solenoids. Does anyone know? Anyway, I am at a proint where I am afraid to move the rig and turn off the motor because I may be stranded. I am currently in La Grande, Oregon and there does not appear to be a Workhorse chassis repair shop anywhere around. I would welcome any suggestions! Thanks!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

HI,

It sounds to me it could be the solenoid for the engine battery. Can you push the emergency button on the dash and will it start then? Sometimes the solenoids get stuck and cause your problem.

I would also see if it has to do with ignition switch. You can check that out again with the emergency switches.

When you had battery checked did the mechanic test it with a load on it or just with a meter? Batteries have to be checked with a load on them.

Good luck and hope you find the problem. Last choicce would be to call Workhorse, however I think solenoids are Winnebago thing.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I tried to use the battery boost switch on the dash but it didn't help. Coach Net even had me hold the switch in for a full minute and then try to start the coach with the switch still down. It still wouldn't turn over. I don't know if it is true or not but I thought that I had heard the boost switch got its power from the chassis battery (which doesn't make sense).
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I tried to use the battery boost switch on the dash but it didn't help. Coach Net even had me hold the switch in for a full minute and then try to start the coach with the switch still down. It still wouldn't turn over. I don't know if it is true or not but I thought that I had heard the boost switch got its power from the chassis battery (which doesn't make sense).
Doug: Your original problem "may" have been just a loose connection or slight corrosion on the batty you removed and put back. Reconnecting it may have fixed the problem. If the neg terminal is even just a little bit "loose" ya got nothing! IF they put a load test on the batty and pronounced it good, then the chassis batty is not likely to be the problem.

Regarding the boost switch, you MUST depress it while turning the ign key to start, and FYI, the purpose of the boost switch is to add the bank of coach battys to the chassis batty to aid the chassis batty in starting the motor. Also, my 2010 Suncruiser recommends starting the chassis motor BEFORE moving slides in or out, and putting down the jacks too.

Safe travels, Ed
Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I wish it would turn out to be as simple as a loose battery connection but it felt snug when I undid it.

I did have the boost switch engaged when I tried to start the motorhome. It didn't help at all. I don't know enough about the wiring to know that to infer from all this. I would think that the boost would come from the coach batteries and they have a solid ground too, but it acts like it hits the starting circuit and that is where is has a minimal ground.

I know that Winnebago recommends that the motor be running before bringing in the slides but I have never had a problem if I am hooked to shore power. In this case it didn't matter since I couldn't start the motor anyway. It just turned out that I found out I had a problem when trying to run the slide pump rather than when trying to start the motor.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Had a problem with starting the engine on '08 Suncruiser after sitting at campground for a month. Engine would not start and boost switch did not help. I jumped the chassis battery to get it started. Believe the chassis battery was run down by use of passenger side map light while on computer at passenger seat desk tray. Now, I start the engine every few days if parked at campground for extended period.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You might check the condition of the cables under the sheathing. I've had them corrode bad on previous vehicles.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If the battery is the original unit - time to get a new one. I had an 07 too and had to buy one this year. Upgraded it a little bit to get more amperes. Same symptoms as you described.

In addition I upgraded my 12V system 2 years ago to deep service units -night and day difference. You may want to check those too.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

All three batteries were replaced 13 months ago. The chassis battery was just tested good at NAPA. Strangely, I didn't notice any battery cables being loose when I took the battery out for testing but when I hooked it back up everything started working again. I have started the motorhome about 4 times in the last three days with nary a hitch. Of course I am now worrying what will happen when I drive it and jiggle everything again.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
....... Of course I am now worrying what will happen when I drive it and jiggle everything again.
Doug, I had a similar problem as yours and it turned out to be the negative cable from the chassis battery to the frame ground. It was loose at the bolt connecting to the frame. Take a wrench and check all the bolts/nuts for all 3 batteries, to make sure they are all nice and snug.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Obviously you have Coachnet service. If you do have a problem they will send help.

I agree about the ground check to the frame. The boost switch on the dash energizes a relay that requires 12v from the engine battery to make the connection! I have had the experience in the past as described previously where the solution was to use jumper cables from the coach batteries as the engine battery was too low.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

And remember if the "boost" switch doesn't work you can always use jumper cables from your house battery bank to the starting battery bank ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I have checked the ground bus and all the cables are tight. There is no corrosion and the buss is still welded tightly to the frame. Coachnet will come out and get my slides in and the jacks up and then have me towed to a shop but of course we would still have to find the problem. Since we live full time in the coach it will be a pain to deal with this.

Tags
suncruiser