Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

As some of you recall I purchased a new 07 Suncruiser in March of this year. The model is 35L (36' long). While I am getting better in my driving of the coach it still seems to me to be a handful in moderate winds and in truck traffic.

I added Steer safe to my last coach and it was a night and day difference (99 Monaco LaPalma). Have any of you added any stabilizers or sway bars?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

As some of you recall I purchased a new 07 Suncruiser in March of this year. The model is 35L (36' long). While I am getting better in my driving of the coach it still seems to me to be a handful in moderate winds and in truck traffic.

I added Steer safe to my last coach and it was a night and day difference (99 Monaco LaPalma). Have any of you added any stabilizers or sway bars?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When I bought my used coach (see Sig) I was going to add F/R trac bars and Koni's based on what I read on this forum. When I did my final thorough inspection (4 hrs) before I signed the purchase agreement, I found that the previous owner had upgraded the suspension to the hilt. They added F/R trac bars and upgraded the anti-sway bars to Roadmasters. I added the Koni's (replacing Bilstein's) after having it a month to smooth out the harshness. Mine handles great and rides firm, stable with no harshness. In cross winds I can feel they are there but it is not a white knuckle drive, same when trucks pass - slight push but no pull.
I have nothing to compare to except my small class C I owned for 20 years. I would much rather drive my new Class A then that Class C.
Hope this helps -- Frank O.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rocket Heart,
Had some truck push and wind problems with mine at first (both minor, but bothersome) after finally getting loaded as wanted, had the front end aligned, difference of night and day. (New coach, but the alignment was out)

Nothing added on mine, wife drives it totally comfortable, hope this helps!

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Tom,

I have an '04 35U Suncruiser that on my first trip (2000 miles) felt that I was beefed up in the forearms after getting home. A constant effort to maintain the lane.

I added the Davis Trutrac for the axle and that made a major difference in the sway and bow wake effect as a truck overtook me. I wish I had added the Steer Safe at the same time but did not. I am adding it in two weeks.

Too bad Winnie did not include these items as OE since I believe they absolutely necessary for a stable coach.
Primetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our first coach was a 35' Sightseer. They was a handfull in wind and traffic. I installed a rear trac bar and it made quite a difference. I went from a death grip on the wheel with both hands, to being able to drive down the road with one hand if a wanted.

Knowing this, when we got our Suncruiser, I took the trac bar off the Sightseer and installed it on the Suncruiser. I still feal the truck sometimes, but the tails not waggin the dog....
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have the 33V. After I weighed and balanced the load, changed air pressure to weight ratio, and aligned and changed the King Pin, it drove pretty well, but being the perfectionist I am, I had to improve. I installed after market anti-sway bars, steer safe, and Koni shocks. I must say driving is effortless under the worst conditions. Now trucks fear "me"¯.

I installed the Konis after I had the other aftermarket add on installed and felt no difference in handling. The big difference was ride improvement. Bilstiens were great but not as smooth.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My coach seemed to always drive pretty good. The truck push and pull was very bothersome from the begining. All I added was the koni's for the suspension, and new tires. The same as origionals. What a difference. No more push and pull as the trucks and busses go by. What a difference.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Rocket,

I know what your talking about. I own a 2004 Suncruiser 35U. I added the Super Steer Rear Stabilizer Bar. This is the discription from the Camping World website:

Get more responsive steering and eliminate rear axle sway. Super Steer® Rear Stabilizer Bar ends uncontrolled side shift of the rear axle. Known as "the tail wagging the dog"¯, rear axle shift causes the front end to steer itself. Rear Stabilizer Bar eliminates this shift for a safer, more controlled drive. High quality steel and polyurethane bushings.

The Stabilizer Bar made a BIG difference. I don't feel like the trucks are pushing me around anymore.

I installed it myself, on a Workhorse W-22 Chasis, no big deal.

I also replaced the original Monroe shocks with stiffer Bilsteins. The Monroes felt too soft for me.

Hope this helps

2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35U - W22 Workhorse (Prone to Brake Problems)
MKCROSS is offline   Reply With Quote