Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Suncruiser owners??

Does anyone on this forum own an Itasca Suncruiser? We currently own a 2007 Winnebago Outlook, but are seriously looking at buying a 2011 Suncruiser 37F. Any input (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated!
2more2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Proud and happy owner of '06 Suncruiser 38T. Love the floorplan, the coach in general, and very pleased with the Chevy and Allison combo. No major issues, other than the slide lock on the bedroom slide. It has the upfront kitchen and this is what sold me on the coach. I traded a '09 Fleetwood Southwind 32vs for the Suncruiser. Never been happier.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We bought our 99 3 years ago. The DW loves the floor plan in this model, and I would be hard pressed to suggest anything else. I do feel that the Ford V10 is under powered for this large of rig, but I don't really mind since I don't drive above 60 mph most of the time.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Would suggest a real test drive. Bumpy uneven road, merging on a highway, being passed by trucks, some real inclines,etc. judge how it feels to you. Does it get pushed around, does it require constant steering adjustments, how's the ride? Power?

What chassis is it on? Have there been any mods done to it?

Suggest a light toad, if any. Less than 3000# (our 4500# jeep is a bit heavy IMHO)

I am very happy with our 38t now, after lots of mods for drive ability and ride.

The quality of the coach has been great. I have never needed to go back to a dealer for service in 5+ years (except for a minor fridge issue while on the road)

Drive it.

Good luck
Jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2006 38J. fell in love with the floor plan the first time we saw it. Have the Chevy and Allison drive and have had no problems. We full time and think that it is the best coach for us.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

jackrobinryan,

My wife and I are about to purchase a Suncruiser 37B. Can you elaborate on what you had to do to get an acceptable ride/stability/etc? How necessary were the changes or was this more of a preference?

Thanks!
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
jackrobinryan,

My wife and I are about to purchase a Suncruiser 37B. Can you elaborate on what you had to do to get an acceptable ride/stability/etc? How necessary were the changes or was this more of a preference?

Thanks!
Some will disagree and say the stock W-24 chassis handles fine, my 38T was exhausting to drive, lots of tail wag, constant steering corrections, side to side sway and harsh ride.

Soooo, I did all the following mods after the first couple thousand miles: front and rear sway bars, front and rear trac bars, SafeT + steering stabilizer and Koni shocks. Has gone from death grip driving to single hand relaxing. Cost me about $3600 and worth every penny.

There are lots of useful and informative irv2 threads on chassis mods under the workhorse forum.

Thus, my suggestion to REALLY drive it before buying and see what you think.
Jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2012 Itasca 37F about 6 months ago. The floor plan is great for us. The only thing I added was a Safe -T- PLus in case of a tire blow out. It steers just fine no tail wag or anything. Drives very good. We did have problems with the Ideal rest bed leaking air, the dealer replaced it.

Gary
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
jackrobinryan,

Thanks!
Ours has the Ford frame, and that being said it used to take a lot of steering to keep it going straight down the road especially with big trucks and crosswinds, but I did the "Cheap Handling Fix" found on this forum, and what a differance it drives like a dream.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Have had no handling problems with our 38J 0n a workhorse W24. No tail wag or steering concerns. Just make sure it isn't over loaded and load evenly side to side.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2more2go View Post
Does anyone on this forum own an Itasca Suncruiser? We currently own a 2007 Winnebago Outlook, but are seriously looking at buying a 2011 Suncruiser 37F. Any input (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.com !

I bought a 2010 Suncruiser 37F new in June 2010, and now have almost 30,000 miles on one of the last W-24 WORKHORSE chassis. If you buy a 2011 or later model year Suncruiser, it will be on a Ford chassis, and NOT have the basement A/C unit which has been my only real frustration with this coach. There are only a few other minor differences implemented for 2011 and beyond. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help. Ed
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Welcome to the forum.com !

I bought a 2010 Suncruiser 37F new in June 2010, and now have almost 30,000 miles on one of the last W-24 WORKHORSE chassis. If you buy a 2011 or later model year Suncruiser, it will be on a Ford chassis, and NOT have the basement A/C unit which has been my only real frustration with this coach. There are only a few other minor differences implemented for 2011 and beyond. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help. Ed
Are you saying your unhappy with the basement air in your 2010? I am not clear on your statement.
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I know that you are looking at more modern coaches but wanted to throw my two cents in as I have a 1990 Suncruiser. I LOVE it! I have only had one odd thing go wrong (which I am going to post to the guru's out there).

My coach is 32' and drives like a dream! I am more comfortable driving it than I am in my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it has such a tight turning radius that I can easily back into the tightest spots.

It has a seamless roof so is as dry as it was when new. Everything works great on it and if I keep my speed around 60ish I get 10 MPG. Don't know too many rigs that size that does that.

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Hey Guys :welcome:
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Are you saying your unhappy with the basement air in your 2010? I am not clear on your statement.
Yes, I am "unhappy" with the Coleman/RVP basement A/C unit WBGO installed as OE.

WBGO stopped using them, apparently for various "reasons", and went to roof-top units beginning with the 2011 model year coaches. Ed
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We have the 2012 Suncruiser and love it. We don't drive far or often--hope to go farther soon. We Camp all Summer about 200 miles away and stay home and winterize in the winter. The floor plan makes it easy to have guests and comfortable for the 2 of us.
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

hi
and welcome

we have the 2009 suncruiser 35P, bought new in february 2010, and have been full timing since july 2011. for us: it was the floor plan that was the deciding factor. very happy with the motorhome (and glad we have 1. the chevy workhorse and 2. basement air/heat)

good luck in your decision!
peter
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2010 35P.

We enjoy the floor plan a lot. The interior storage is fantastic. It's fine going down the road and I like the turning radius, but it's on the Workhorse W24 chassis.

We bought this one because of the double fridge and the king size bed and are happy we did.

We have had a few issues. You are experienced RVs so you know to test everything before it's out of warranty. Our biggest problem has been plumbing, the convertor, and the bedroom slide. The Kingdome currently does not work.

I guess these are normal problems in the course of driving your house down the road.

Winnebago was great about fixing things while under warranty. We had work done on our old rig at the factory in and out of warranty and I would highly recommend them.

This is our second Winnie. We were looking at a dealer the other day and didn't see anything new we would trade for.
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We have a 07 Adventurer 38T and love it. we traded a 2000 Adventuer 37G, loved that also, Winnie makes a great motorhome. Happy Camping
Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Had an Itasca Suncruiser 32-V and loved it. Wish had not sold it. It was a great driver, stable, rode very well, the Ford chassis and motor were very well matched to the body. I would have liked pass through compartments, (but with basement A/C not available). I don't think I would go for basement A/C again. It worked just great, but was too restrictive on storage. Most RV techs cannot work on them.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suncruiser