Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

While returning to Charleston, SC from the recent Grand National Rally we hit some rough roads in Missouri resulting in one of the small canned items on the upper section of the large slide out pantry shelf jumping up and jamming the slide out.

Have tried using a large 18 inch piece of thin plastic cutting sheet to slip in and up through the 1/8 inch opening on the left front of the pantry to shift or move the fallen object to free the slide out. No luck so far.

Any ideas about removing the patry without drilling, hacking, or otherwise damaging the face of the cabinet work? What about removing the frig to the left of the pantry and gaining access?

Stuck for 15 years--now Unstuck--Driver Does Not Carry Cash
Winnebago Journey DL 2002, 36' LD,[Lots of Stuff in the Middle], Walther Security, MotoSat
http://irv2review.com/photopost/data...cf0623-med.jpg
Mrs_Unstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While returning to Charleston, SC from the recent Grand National Rally we hit some rough roads in Missouri resulting in one of the small canned items on the upper section of the large slide out pantry shelf jumping up and jamming the slide out.

Have tried using a large 18 inch piece of thin plastic cutting sheet to slip in and up through the 1/8 inch opening on the left front of the pantry to shift or move the fallen object to free the slide out. No luck so far.

Any ideas about removing the patry without drilling, hacking, or otherwise damaging the face of the cabinet work? What about removing the frig to the left of the pantry and gaining access?

Winnebago Journey DL 2002, 36' LD,[Lots of Stuff in the Middle], Walther Security, MotoSat
Old 07-31-2003, 04:07 PM   #3

Unstuck,

We have the 2003 model and have not experienced that yet. Have you called customer service at Winnebago? If you haven't, try them and let us know how it works out for you.

What route did you take, that was that rough to throw your can goods around? We'll want to stay clear of the road.

Tomcat F15
Old 07-31-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Unstuck,
Boy does this sound familar. This happened to us on vacation last year. Gary finally went to home depot and bought a thin piece of plexiglass and it worked so well that he keeps it in the basement of the M.H.
I hope this helps. If you want to talk with Gary let us know.
Sandi
Sandi Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
Unstuck,n What route did you take, that was that rough to throw your can goods around? We'll want to stay clear of the road.
Tomcat F15<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We came down Iowa-69 to Iowa-20, got onto I-35 through DesMoines, Iowa then after a brief two day stop at Osceola, Iowa drove on through to Kansas City, Kansas (damage was on rough roads on I-70 construction site).

Old 08-01-2003, 04:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandi:
Unstuck,
Boy does this sound familar.
Sandi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my way to the local home depot store for that piece of plexiglas. Many thanks! We are on the road again in the morning for the 400 mile long garage sale that runs on Hwy 127 from Alabama through to Kentucky.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Let us know if it worked.
Have fun. I'm jealous!!!!
Sandi
Sandi Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandi:
Let us know if it worked.
Have fun. I'm jealous!!!!
Sandi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After thirty minutes of struggle, Mr_Unstuck, dislodged one small can of beans--half punctured, but upright, an actively spraying can of Pam, and two shelves that had dropped off their braces. The plexiglas sheet, 10" x 42" worked, but we will not be able to use it again, as it broke in about three pieces in the end.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

With a forum nickname like that I just new that you would manage to get the pantry "unstuck"

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V - Workhorse 20
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #10

Unstucks,

So how did you fix the problem? Give us the details.

Tomcat F15
Old 08-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
Unstuck,So how did you fix the problem? Give us the details.
Tomcat F15<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of leverage, patience, a good pair of leather gloves (plexiglass broke on first try--could have been dangerous).

Started at the bottom of the slide area and slowly worked the leading edge of the plexiglass into the slide and after several tries was able to insert all the way to the rear of the bottom left side. Then slowly brought the plastic up until I felt the jammed can and shelf edge. Rocking the objects up and down eventually dislodged the jam.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Boy am I stuck. Yes, it happend to us too. The DW in a rush packed a bunch stuff in the pantry of our (new to us) 2002 Horizon. The pantry is stuck good and hard after we hit a little bumb on day 2 of are 1st trip with this unit. I'm a handy guy, and I have tried several tools - wire, vinly cutting boards, spatulas, marshmello cookers. The pantry will only come out 1" before it jams, so you cannot see what is blocking it. (Is there a tool that would let you see in?, like with fiber optics and built in light??). Well, I will get the 10x42 piece of plexi-glass at home depot tomorrow and try it out. The pantry has been stuck for 2 weeks now. We stopped at a camping world RV center in El Paso TX and the service guys tried for an hour to get it out - no luck (and no charge nice guys).

So, what if the plexi-glass does not work? How does Winny service fix this in this situation - does the frig need to come out, and if so, how? The design is real questionable, as there is just no access and now way to dis-mantel the pantry, without a big saw cutting of the face of it. Strange design.

Thanks for all offers of additonal info, comments, help.

Jeff.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

To Stuck and all others with this problem.

We had that problem once and since then have not had the problem. I purchased those expandable rods that most people use in fridge and put them across the entire pantry. My DW even stacks cans and they don't jam or fall. I installed them in every shef that has something that would fall out.

CAmping World sells them but you have to get the single ones and measure the length so as tp get the right size when screwed out they will go from one end to the other.

Tom
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
(Is there a tool that would let you see in?, like with fiber optics and built in light??).
Jeff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like this?

Or if you have a small camera for your computer, hook it onto a yard stick.

Good luck. I'll be watching this thread because it's only a matter of time for us.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Same thing happened to us. Found an aluminum 36" rigid rule @ local bldg supply. Rule is about 1/8" thick and will barely fit into access space between sliding door and rigid upright piece.

After inserting the rule as far back as it will go, slowly move the rule up in order to tilt whatever fell/tipped over back into the shelf. May take several attempts but patience will usually prevail.

After the second mishap I started carrying the rule in the RV all the time. I also started using the expandable rods as mentioned in a previous post. Good luck, hope this helps.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
(Is there a tool that would let you see in?, like with fiber optics and built in light??).
Jeff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
and only $230 gimmy two

Like this?

Or if you have a small camera for your computer, hook it onto a yard stick.

Good luck. I'll be watching this thread because it's only a matter of time for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If the long rule or the plexiglass does not work, then I will buy a flex borescope - Sears has them too for about the same price - $220. If I can see what is stuck in there, I can tip it up with a rod. I guess it would be a nice addition to my extensive set of tools.
I'm not sure my rule will work since I only have about 1/8" clearance around the corner of the front of the pantry panel.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Similar to the long ruler, you might try your awning rod--I was able to use that just the other day on mine.

Although I haven't done it yet I plan to add a sheet of 1/4" veneer plywood on the inside of the pantry enclosures to provide a vertical surface flush with the door opening (facing the shelf openings). This will eliminate the possibility of anything on the pantry shelves getting stuck.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well, nothing is working. I'm removing the frig. I will report results later. If possible, I will attach pictures of the project.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

The Project Is Complete. Its good that I cut bait and when for the frig. A small 2.5 oz. can of olives that were stacked on top of another can fell off on the top shelf in the back. It fell down and was sitting between the top shelf bar and the upper LH quarter of the frame. The reason that the shelf would only come slide out 3/4 of an inch was due to the can being stuck in the back. There is a vertical support member about 1/3 of the way from the back of the wall that provide support and doubles as where the propane seal for the frig is stapled too. With the can in that position, I would never have gotten it out without seeing it and a great tool. The borescope might not have helped and it is too big in dia. to get through the tiny 1/8 inch gap.

The frig comes out easier than I thought. I have the installation manual which helped. 6 screws in the front and 4 bolts in the back. 1st have to un-connect AC, DC, propane, DC, water (note issue on the water line below). Getting the frig out is a 2 man project. So I got help from my neighbor - together we slid it out and set it on a small stool and then slid it around the dinette and set it on the kitchen floor. From there I cut out the top front RH panel facing the pantry - which is only about 1/8 inch thick cabinet plywood. Note I did not remove the screwed on sealed rear panel due to the glue. The rear panel behind the vertical support is in the propane gas area of the frig - if that panel was removed then I would have had to re-seal it (more on that vertical support later). So instead I cut out a 10 x 12 inch or so hole in the upper panel and found the problem little can. (I was surprised the can olives did not collapse as I had put as much pressure on that little can as I could muster). I left about 1" all the way around the cut out. I made a 12 x 14 inch or so size cover from 1/4 inch ply wood and use eight 3/8 wood screws to secure the patch. The screws did not protrude the other side. (Note: one mistake I made - in my haste to get the project done and get the rig back to storage tonight, I forgot to glue in the screws with some silicon as I had planned - I was going to do that to keep them from vibrating out down the road in a couple of years). Once the panel back on, my neighbor helped me slide the frig back in, align it, secured the 4 bolts in the back, 2 screws on top for the panel, 2 screws on the bottom for the frig, and 2 more screws for the bottom panel. Not bad – and easier than I would have thought. Note – on my unit there is a top bracket that is suppose to be secured from the top of the fridge to back of the frig housing compartment. The installation by Winny on this was not good – all 4 screws had pulled out wood long ago – it looked like they only got them about 1/8 inch into the wood! Well, it is a useless bracket and was non-functional on my unit (the screws were not even in the wall). But I note this for others since the only way to remove these screws is to remove the top vent off the roof of the motor home and reach down through the hole with a screw driver. The strap was also not properly installed by Winny to the fridge – they only used one screw! (2 should have been used). Also, I found out on the fridge that Winny also did not install a required water shut off valve to the ice maker per the frig installation instructions – another mistake. I had to shut off the water to the coach and that should not be necessary. Also, if you have a leak with the ice maker, your coach will flood. If I bought the unit new, I would have taken it back in for the shot off valve. I will install one myself using a nylon in-line ¼ water valve. That's it folks.

To prevent this in the future, I'm thinking of adding some short Plexiglas extenders on the pantry bars to make it more secure but still be able see what is in there. Also note that the shelves/bars are adjustable.

One late comment: get the 4 door frig - the pantry is note really needed since the 34HD has lots of storage and the 2 door frig is too small to really make use of the ice maker. We kept the ice maker off on our last trip (and no, we do not have a basement freezer).