Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Strange electric noise

Help! While parked I hear a strange noise lasting maybe five seconds coming from what sounds like the washer/dryer in the back of the Journey which is right above the engine so it could be from there. Sounds most like clicking as when a starter is almost dead with an occasional buzzing sound. Can't say we hear it during the day for some reason - maybe cause of radio or other distractions. Plugged into camp elec - no generator. Nothing on but hvac. This sound comes on several times a night. Not that it probably matters but never used the washer/dryer. Not sure where to start with this issue. Any ideas?
vcruiser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Can you access and unplug the washer/dryer?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes
Old 04-03-2019, 04:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have the same thing happen on our washer, it is like the lock mechanism on the washer trying to lock the door. Some times it does once a day some time couple times of the day, has been doing that for a long time. Have searched and found nothing about it so not sure what it is but since it works OK and we know what it is we have not stressed about it yet.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Interesting. Thanks for your input. If I find a solution I will let you know. Identifying the problem was the biggest concern but the noise in the night is aggravating.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Though your description does sound like something else, also consider the water pump...

The water pump is in that area too and under certain circumstances, often a leak, it will run for a short time and sometimes it's quiet enough that you don't notice it until you're in bed. So if your water pump is left on overnight, try turning it off when you head for bed.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

In our Journey, the hot water heater is opposite the washer/dryer above the engine. There are two check-valves at the back of the HW tank. We had them replaced under the original warranty when they started making all sorts of buzzing, clicking noise, when any water was being used. Even the ice maker would trigger the noise. After a year the replacements started making the same noises. It does resonate across the back closet and could be thought to be coming from the washer/dryer.

I bought two new replacement check valves, just in case the original replacement valves quit working. So far, after 7 years, they still make some noise, but keep on working.

Just something else to check on your RV.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 AM   #8

Good post. I learned something about noises coming from my washer/dryer combo and/or from the 1 or 2 check valves in my water heater tank. My WH tank has/had two.

Of course, I will not have that problem since I removed both check valves, but if I do start hearing noises in the middle of the night coming from my washer/dryer combo I will know to turn off the power... at the breaker box; which sounds like a good idea anyway until I setup camp.

Note: I already do that with my microwave as it started to hummmm; which is apparently common depending on the model you have. So I figure I only use the microwave when I'm camped, I might as well turn off that circuit breaker too.

I think these check valves are unnecessary and tend to cause more troubles than they provide "protection." For example; you need to winterize properly so you don't mistakenly fill the WH tank with anti-freeze. (Unless you want to de-scale your WH, but I prefer using vinegar for that.)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2011 Journey Express started doing the same thing while we were hiding from the winter and I finally turned off the surge arrester and I haven't heard it again. AM home now and am in the market for a new Progressive Industries EMS Hard-Wired 50 amp
tennessean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcruiser86 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for your input. If I find a solution I will let you know. Identifying the problem was the biggest concern but the noise in the night is aggravating.
Leave the washer door ajar with the outer door closed. See if that helps.
This is interesting. Our machine has never had that kind of problem. We use ours all of the time.

For those who don't use theirs, I suggest that you do run it every quarter to keep water in the trap and freshen what is in it.

I doubt it is your water pump. That is located up front over the propane tank, if your 40U is set up the same as mine.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the comments. The noise is definitely the washer. The only cure that seems to work is to shut the breaker off. The other night it actually started to run by itself - I failed to turn the breaker off. Now that's weird. When I called the company - Splendide - he said if it continues after you hook up to different power it might be a board that needs to be replaced. Guess that's the next step.

Tags
noise