Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Stoopid question about 2002 Roof...

The most stupid is the one not asked, but this places near the top: Does my Sightseer have a rubber or fiberglass roof? We in Maryland are in the Land-of-Mold and the roof looks nasty.

First is a solid cleaning, but I would also like to resurface or paint the roof to add to its life ...with the expectation that sealing some of the porosity will make it also easier to clean in the future. Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's fiberglass, or more accurately Filon like your sides. There are a lot of aftermarket coatings but, I think the best option is a good, marine "topside" paint formulated for fiberglass. Fiberglass boats are subjected to conditions at least, if not more extreme that RVs and the associated topside paints are highly developed and effective for their purpose. They are, however, not inexpensive.

Some of the aftermarket coatings can be a one-way-street so, personally, I'm wary of them.

You may find that a good cleaning and waxing (again look to the boating industry) is all that it needs. After all, it's not something that you're going to be looking at all the time.

Here are a couple of good places to start investigating your alternatives (the two part paints would be overkill):

https://www.westmarine.com/topside-paint

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co.../topside-paint
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your generous reply, Bob. You may have been eluding to those 'rubber' coatings.. I am leary of any sort of 'binding contract'. I had to work my butt off to get 'floor wax' off the sides of this rig.

The top gets pretty moldy where I am. A regular clean/wax is a poor option for me; I am not stable enough to trust myself up there. Marine paint I can do or get done. Again, thanks.

Jim
Old 09-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Since you won't be concerned with cosmetics, you can use a roller and not worry about "tipping" it off with a brush. There are also non skid marine paints available in addition to non skid additives.

I know what you mean about not being stable, I usually work on my knees (it also distributes your weight better. One of those 1/2" interlocking foam floor mats is even better and easier on the knees.

Keep in mind that the most dangerous part is going up and down the ladder. Since our ladders end pretty high off the ground, I used a stepladder for the first few feet. I was descending after washing the roof, had soapy hands and was carrying a bucket (stupid). As I transferred to the stepladder, it tipped, and I fell straight down, holding on to the RV ladder with my right hand. The scuff marks showed that I fell about 5'.

I ended up severely tearing my right rotator cuff and had to have surgery. I was pretty much out of commission for six months and full recovery took about a year. Fortunately, my surgery was extremely successful.

Had I not held onto the RV ladder I wouldn't have torn my rotator cuff but might have broken a leg or worse, hit my head on the concrete. As it was, the injuries were confined to my shoulder.

I have yet to go back up on the roof, but when I do (if my wife lets me), the stepladder will be secured to the RV ladder and my hands will be dry and empty.

And, thank you for your Army Service.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I fail to see how painting your Filon roof will help you much. It will still need cleaned and protected.

Washing the roof with a good car wash product that includes wax is the recommended roof maintenance process. I wash mine with a brush on a pole and then apply 303 UV protection spray applied with a wood floor “mop” - a broad flat mop with a terry cloth pad.

This lasts a year for me. So, while doing this I inspect and seal any problem areas at the same time.

I too hate to climb up there. I use a 20 ft tall extension ladder that I have added rubber padding to the ladder sides at roof height and extend it about 4’ past the roof making it easy to hold on to when stepping onto the roof. I lash this ladder to the RV ladder to keep it from moving.

There is a RV detailer in my area that will do this job… wash and treat with 303 UV protectant for $100 and I plan to give this a try this year instead of doing it myself.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ouch, Bob... I gather 'falls' after large waistbands are a geezer's greatest peril. I am headed to Johns Hopkins next week to start a series of spinal repairs. Luckily, I am not in much pain, but the MRI reports have red flags at most facet joints.

I have scaffolding I got at Home Depot and typically use a line attached at my waist on the opposite side of this coach, or a roof at home if I have to mess with something at altitude. I'd rather skin my knees on the roof than break my neck.

Thanks... I post my patch as I am increasingly proud of what seemed like a normal thing to do for a poor kid. I somehow feel more: ' Sorry we sent you. ..to the young guys who ended up in open-ended war zones. For sure, the 58,000 names on the now rarely mentioned Wall in DC.

Press on..

Jim
Old 09-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I fail to see how painting your Filon roof will help you much. It will still need cleaned and protected.
Older roofs like mine get porous with age and sun exposure. A coat of marine paint will, indeed protect it from further deterioration. It's formulated to do so on boats, why not on RVs?
Old 09-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It's formulated to do so on boats, why not on RVs?
I’m not sure about the two being that similar, for one thing boats are gel coat and your roof is totally different. Don’t let the term “Fiberglass Roof” make you think the two are the same. They are more different than the same.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, CP... My instincts are: if I can lessen the porosity of this horizontal surface, then treat/seal it with any sort of 'resist' ..tightening it further, I should almost be able to mop it clean-ish.

We're ~18yrs past the UV protection stage. You folks with newer units have the advantage and burden to keep up. I bought into a 'recovery and preservation' project.

Cheers. Jim
Old 09-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here's the link to Crane Composites, the manufacturer of Filon. They should be able to steer you in the right direction:

https://cranecomposites.com

I also ran across this PDF from Crane Composites. It mainly refers to sidewall repair where appearance is critical:

http://literature.puertoricosupplier...78/VD77885.pdf

And more information from Crane Composites on repair (roof repair is on pg 11):

https://cranecomposites.com/wp-conte...oads/65000.pdf

Note: The above refers to two-part Polyurethane paint.

I'm sure if you contact them they can give you some specific advice. If you do, let us know what you find out.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #11
1996 Itasca 29Q

UV Protection

I used a product called Regex after I polished the roof with Meguires heavy-duty oxidization remover. It made the roof very glossy and is supposed to make it easy to clean, I plan on recoating on an annual basis. Regex claims to be a UV blocker as well.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
I used a product called Regex after I polished the roof with Meguires heavy-duty oxidization remover. It made the roof very glossy and is supposed to make it easy to clean, I plan on recoating on an annual basis. Regex claims to be a UV blocker as well.
How about a link? I Googled Regex and only came up with grammar and programming references. Are you sure you spelled it correctly?
Old 09-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Me thinks he’s referring to “ Rejex “. I use it around my crowns, front/back and sides. Also give a coat to the front regularly and any bug splats rinse off.

https://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-61...1756113&sr=8-7
Old 10-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I just cleaned the roof of my 02 yesterday. I used EE-Z Off no fume oven cleaner and a scrub brush on a pole. Came out looking brand new. I had to order it on Amazon.

While you are on the roof be sure and check the adhesive that us used to glue the filon roof into the "J" channel. You should be able to press inward on the roof to see if the roof is still sealed. I covered mine with Eternabond tape thinking the tape would be strong enough to hold the roof on. I thought wrong. I had to peel the tape off and re-seal the roof with 3m-4200. Look through my history and find the post I put up on this a couple of weeks ago. There is a video that shows you exactly how to do it.

BTW you will need 4 cans to do the roof. I also used it on my extremely dirty side walls and then "waxed" it with several coats of Mothers Ceramic. 1,000 per cent improvement.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

That's interesting, JSP... 'oven cleaner'. It's the first I have heard of it around RVs. I even have some...

Copy on the Eternabond ... I did find it cured the 'corner' problems where the flexi roof meets the molded nose and tail sections. I doubt if I could get deep enough into the cracks to clean it well enough to inject an adhesive so the bond was good.

At least I can 'see' the eternabond. I learned a long time ago: round corners on any tape you want to maintain a grip. Thanks.

Jim
Old 10-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Isn’t Easy Off a caustic cleaner? I have no idea what it will do to your roof or the items on your roof, but sounds pretty drastic to me. Where did you get the notion of using that product for this task?
Old 10-12-2021, 08:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

One of my Facebook friends cleans for a living. I asked her what to use on fiberglass tubs since my goto, "Bam" was no longer available. She recommended the EZ off followed by RainX on the walls. I use it on anything that is REALLY dirty. My MH walls had essentially no finish. They were rough to the touch and could have used a serious rubbing compounding. I tried the EZ-Off not really knowing what to expect. I brushed it pretty well with a long brush. It removed the dead fiberglass. It wasn't as smooth as a buffing, but it was pretty darn good. I shot it with the foam canon afterwards, brushed it again and rinsed it well, and put on several coats of Mothers Ceramic. Now it beads water very well, and looks pretty darn good.

On the roof I ran out of EZ-Off and had to use 409 on the last 1/3 of the roof. It didn't do nearly as good a job. I'll have to shoot it with EX Off when my new cans come in.

I really think it is the same as the "Bam" cleaner I've used for years. Cleans exactly the same. Be sure and get the NO FUME version.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

The use of Eternabond tape on roof edges should never have been expected to act as an adhesive, but as a protective layer against UV degradation and exposure to the elements in order to prolong the lifetime of the underlying sealant.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Since I put so much adhesive in the channel, I can’t decide whether to cover the seal to protect from UV degradation or not. The down side is that you can no longer check the seal. IDK whether failures are happening on repaired seals. Another advantage would be I wouldn’t have to scrape off all that Eternabond residue and then scrub it off with some solvent.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Apparently Bam is an EZ Off product that's been discontinued in the US. It contains three acids among other ingredients:

https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/...eRemoverSpray/

Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner contains some scary ingredients:

https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/...eeOvenCleaner/

Alternatively, there are a number of fiberglass boat hull cleaners that are based on oxalic acid. Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-In...0000AXVLM?th=1

You can also buy powdered oxalic acid an make your own solution. Here's a video:

As a former boat owner, I can attest to the fact that both work. Nonetheless, both contain acid and should be used carefully and sparingly.

Tags
roof