Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Another option: I just washed the sides of my 2002 MH (which were very chalky) with Zep All-In-1 Premium Pressure Wash diluted (I think) 6oz to 1 gallon of water. Note that the pressure washer will dilute it even more so, if you're not using a pressure washer, I'd suggest diluting it further.

I sprayed it on using a gentle setting, brushed it with a relatively soft car washing brush and rinsed. The spots I missed with the brush are very dull compared to the shiny areas that were scrubbed. One of the listed uses is for vehicles.

I have yet to try this on the roof but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-172-...C160/202056508
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Thanks for your generous reply, Bob. You may have been eluding to those 'rubber' coatings.. I am leary of any sort of 'binding contract'. I had to work my butt off to get 'floor wax' off the sides of this rig.

The top gets pretty moldy where I am. A regular clean/wax is a poor option for me; I am not stable enough to trust myself up there. Marine paint I can do or get done. Again, thanks.

Jim

I wash the roof every time I wash the MH. I use auto wash soap, add 2-3 oz. bleach to a 5G bucket. This solution washes the MH clean and shiny, and the minute amount of bleach is enough to kill mold/mildew on the roof and awnings without damaging anything.
Most of the black is air pollution settled on your roof, then mold/mildew begins to grow on that sediment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

For those of us who aren't able to get up on the roof in a regular basis, it's tough. It's not perfect but I have a tall step ladder and can reach a lot of the roof from it with a power washer set on low pressure. Marine paint won't keep it from getting dirty but will close up the pores and make it easier to clean.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #24
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Roof cleaner & sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I fail to see how painting your Filon roof will help you much. It will still need cleaned and protected.
+++++++++++++++

Creativepart - I have never used UV 303 before. You said you moped it on the roof but what happens to the sides when some of the stuff goes over the edge? Also, you said the wash+wax was the recommended roof treatment. Does UV303 have a wax in it as well?

My wife and I both go up on the roof at the end of our season in late May and wash and brush the roof with a bit of Dawn and a lot of water. It becomes a white matte finish by the time we are done. I too have used the Eternabond 4" at the juncture front cap / roof seam and reseal areas with self-leveling Dicor UV resistant sealer.

Thanks - sorry I am a late joiner on this thread but I found it interesting.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
Creativepart - I have never used UV 303 before. You said you moped it on the roof but what happens to the sides when some of the stuff goes over the edge? Also, you said the wash+wax was the recommended roof treatment. Does UV303 have a wax in it as well?
We have some wood floors in the house. So, we have a wide "mop" for the floors. It's about 20" wide by 8" tall. We have terry cloth covers that fit over the "mop" and it does a wide swipe with each stroke. I spray the 303 onto the roof and spread it with the mop. I've never seen any go over the sides. I follow up with a clean pad to dry and kind of buff the roof after.

303 isn't really a "wax" it's a protectant with UV blocking. It's not oily or greasy but reminds me of Armor-All in how it shines fiberglass. But it's not slippery and dries in a matte finish.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30320-Pro...dp/B00JG3OIFU/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	181170  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I used Meguiar's 50 on mine, it cleaned off the dull, chalky material plus it seals and waxes at the same time. First I washed with car wash soap and a pad on a pole, rinsed then when dry I applied the Meguiar's with a random orbit polisher. I went over it twice although it was shiny after the first pass. A few days later I added a layer of Mequiar's Premium Flagship Liquid Marine Wax just because I had time. I did everything from ladders although my motorhome is only 25.5 feet long 10 feet tall and 8.5 feet wide. A little bit each day. I expect it will last quite a while as I park indoors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meguires50.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	181175   Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	181176  

Tags
roof