Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Steps open while driving

2018 Vista 32BE

Today as I came to a stop light the steps extended and then retracted when I proceeded to move through the intersection. I pulled over and checked to make sure the door was completely closed and then proceeded. I discovered that anytime I pushed on the break with some force the steps would extend and when I released the brake they retracted. I have not experienced this at anytime before today during the past 2 weeks on this trip. I have an RVi brake in my tow vehicle which has a monitoring device that communicates with a tablet in the MH that uses wifi to show when the brake is engaged. That is the only thing I can think of that might cause some issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
ronwessrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ron, it may just what you suspect. Another thing to check is the 12 volt connections at the step switch magnet on the screen door. My Sunova had a recall for steps extending while driving. The fix was grommets where wires passed through wall and ring connectors on wire ends instead of bare wires wrapped around the screws. Good luck-BMcD
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, also check the the door switch that chickenman05 mentioned to ensure that the switch and magnet are both securely mounted.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

A year ago my steps started coming out every time I made a left hand turn. When I straightened out they went back in. Turns out the door switch had a broken wire that pulled apart with every turn. No issues after reconnecting the wire. Not much wire to work with. Managed to pull enough out to make a better connection. If it starts doing it again I'm going to have to add some wire somehow.

Terry
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I checked the wires to the switch and when I touched the black wire it broke away from the switch. I will try to work with the very limited amount of wire that is available.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
ronwessrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey Ron, I had this issue. I laid under the coach and removed the silicon blob that surrounded the wires to the magnet switch. That allowed ample wire to be pulled through to work with.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Step problem

I have something going on with my steps. When i am driving, the step is in. When I turn ON the generator, while driving, the step goes out. Shut off generator, step goes back in. New magnet door switch and wired. No help. Does it matter which wire goes to which screw?
Thx
Indy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Indy Bob, The steps I have are 353543 (Quickie) Lippert Components Entry Step Double Electric Folding Steps.

On my steps, it does not matter which wire on the door switch goes to which connection. What have you changed from the time the steps worked correctly? That is where I would look.

If your steps are Quickie/Lippert brand you might give their customer support a call 574-537-8900.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps