Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

STEERS LIKE h**L 26 VISTA WORK HORSE

panic mode ! looking for solid advice . Just throw money at it ? Can not steer without constant corrections, tail wags more than my beloved yorkies butt. anyone out there made improvements 26 Vista with Work Horse .
what's the best bang for the buck ?
David Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First thing to do is weigh your rig, loaded, preferably a 4 corner weigh, but at the very least each axle. Then adjust tire pressure per load tables. That alone will make a big difference in handling. After that, I've heard that a rear trak-bar is the best bang for the buck.

My '04 Workhorse (M30) was pretty squirrelly when I brought it home; tires were set to the label on the driver's door, but those numbers are for maximum weight. After weighing, I was way under my GVWR, and lowered the tire pressure to the correct level for my load, and it made a world of difference. I'm still planning on a trak-bar, but it's not a high priority now.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. how do I know to put more or less air in ? trial and error ? I have 90 psi ( that's what tire installer recommended all around ). Have no toad, and only carry minimal water, average supplies ...Try'n to keep weight down and MPG up.
David Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It helps us answer your question if you give us your make model year and chassis type when you ask a question like this.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You really have to weigh it, don't guess. It can be a little intimidating the first time but isn't that big a deal. Go to your local truck stop, talk to the clerk first so you understand how things work and go for it. At a minimum you need front and axle weights. Ideally you need weights for each corner.

There are other places like sand and gravel dealers, grain elevators, etc. that have scales but truck stops are the easiest to find. If the scales look busy, find out from the clerk when you should come back, you don't want to hold up the professionals.

You should weigh with a full tank of gas, full fresh water tank and normal load of stuff. Ideally you'd also have a passenger with you but that's not a big deal.

Secondly, there are weight/pressure tables for your specific tires. These are the minumum pressures for the weights. If you get the four corner weights, all wheels on an axle need to be inflated according to the highest weight on that axle. The general recommendation is to add 10% to the minimum PSI for each axle.

Here's the best collection of tire info I've found (by a retired tire engineer). The link is to a write-up on pressure, there's a menu of many other articles, including weighing, as well:

RV Tire Safety: Cold Inflation Pressure

Here's a link from Goodyear that has some good info:

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/

There are numerous posts on this and other forums on this topic, that go on for pages and pages. As with many topics, they can be long on opinion and short on facts. IMHO, the two links I've given you contain pretty much all you need to know.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saf View Post
Thank you. how do I know to put more or less air in ? trial and error ? I have 90 psi ( that's what tire installer recommended all around ). Have no toad, and only carry minimal water, average supplies ...Try'n to keep weight down and MPG up.
Your Vista is on a W16 chassis, with a 16,000 GVWR (6500f/10500r GAWRs). My guess is 19.5" tires, right? 90psi is too high for your rig. If you have 225/70R19.5, then your pressures at maximum weight should only be 85psi front/70psi rear. If you are running 245/70R19.5, the those numbers would be 80psi front and rear.

Look inside your RV, on the wall near the driver's seat. There should be a Federal Tire Placard, that will show the stock size tires and the recommended tire pressure. Keep in mind, that the pressure shown there is for your rig at maximum loaded weight, 16,000 lbs. Running those numbers will suffice until you get it weighed, but they are likely to be too high for your actual weight. Higher pressure than necessary, particularly on the front tires, can cause bad handling characteristics.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When I ran mine at the placard PSIs, I could feel every bump and wrinkle in the road, particularly at low speed on city streets. This improved quite a bit after I weighed my rig and went with 110% of the table minimums for my rig's weight.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote