Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Steering Wheel off-center on 99 Adventurer 37G

Help, as I drive down the road, the steering wheel is turned about a quarter of the way to the right. It seems to track straight and rides well it is just off center. First of all is this a common problem and also what is the easiest way to correct it.

Thanks in advance for yout help.

Wayne Chapman
Wchap26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I took my '99 Adventurer to an alignment shop that could handle school busses ... they aligned the coach and put the steering wheel level when we were going straight.

The alignment improved the handling greater ... and getting the steering wheel level was comforting ..
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The steering wheel is put on in the assembly process after the front end is aligned. If steering knuckles are replaced or tie rod ends replaced sometimes it doesn't quite line up anymore. Often it can be corrected with a tow in or out adjustment but if all that is good and the vehicle tracks right, camber and caster are correct it may be necessary to pull the wheel and reposition it to correct.
You can easily check tow in or out with two straight sticks 6 feet long and a tape measure. Bungee the sticks to the outside of the front wheels. Now measure between the front and rear of the sticks. Are they equal? Adjust the center link until they are. Sometimes the ends are clocked improperly and require that the link be taken apart and the ends re clocked so the steering wheel lines up when tow in/out is correct.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Please don't run out and pull the steering wheel if it's got air bags or on wheel switches! I just reread my post inferring that maybe pulling the steering wheel is easy. It's not!!!!
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Your Adventurer is built on aFord F53 chassis. Here's a link to the Ford bulletin regarding steering wheel alignment.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q59.PDF

In short you can remove the steering wheel and realign it in the proper position. Unlike other brands the Ford chassis of that year has no master spline on the steering wheel. Once the alignment is complete the steering wheel can be removed and repositioned.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I tried to pull the steering wheel off last night and could not get it to move at all. I used a two jaw puller and it was not coming off. Any thoughts on how to loosen it up?

The T50 bolt came out without too much trouble. Is there anything else that needs to be removed before it can be pulled?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I went and purchased a better jaw puller and was able to get the steering wheel off and adjusted properly. It was a simple fix with the right tools.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've had ours off a couple times. Each time all I did was slap the wheel on the back (toward the driver) side with both open palms. In your csae it sounds like someone has tightened the nut on the shaft (I'm assuming you removed the nut) way too tight.

You might need a steering wheel puller. It's similar to a 2 jaw puller but rather than grabbing the wheel with the jaws it uses 2 bolts in the holes to anchor the plate to the wheel. Then the shaft of the puller presses against the steering wheel shaft.

Here's a link to a steering wheel puller:

Steering Wheel Puller | AutoZone.com

You might be able to just get a couple proper size bolts and use your existing puller. Once you get some compression against the steering shaft hit the back of the wheel towards you with an open palm. It should pop off without too much effort. I would leave the nut loose on the shaft so when the wheel does come off it doesn't go flying and hit you in the face.

On Edit: I guess I was a little late with my response. Glad everything worked out.

Tags
steering