Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Steering Stabilizer worth the $$$

Were the 2nd owner of a very nice 2000 35' Adventurer with 55k. Fully tanked up & proper tire press we've felt like drove & handled very well. Big trucks passing me don't bother me much, I think it's in part to my wheelbase & Winnebago's superb design & engineering back in the day.
But we're considering 3000 mile trip back to Stougis this Aug (we've never had the MH more than 500 miles from home in the 2 yrs we've owned her) always took our Lance camper & diesel.
Do you guys really think I would benifit that much by spending that much for the Safety Plus shock? I know lots of guys love them especially shorter rigs maybe? Anyway sorry for the long post (I have posted a lot on the other forum but with a longer username, it was apparently to long for this one) Thanks nice to have a specific Winnebago forum!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
Were the 2nd owner of a very nice 2000 35' Adventurer with 55k. Fully tanked up & proper tire press we've felt like drove & handled very well. Big trucks passing me don't bother me much, I think it's in part to my wheelbase & Winnebago's superb design & engineering back in the day.
But we're considering 3000 mile trip back to Stougis this Aug (we've never had the MH more than 500 miles from home in the 2 yrs we've owned her) always took our Lance camper & diesel.
Do you guys really think I would benifit that much by spending that much for the Safety Plus shock? I know lots of guys love them especially shorter rigs maybe? Anyway sorry for the long post (I have posted a lot on the other forum but with a longer username, it was apparently to long for this one) Thanks nice to have a specific Winnebago forum!
Sounds to me like you are pretty happy with the way your rig handles, not sure why you are considering the Safe T Plus. I can tell you from my experience it is one of the better investments I have made.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Safe-t-steer

I found the safest-t-plus to be worth it. The first big trip 2000 miles one way, truly believe it saved our lives. I had a rental moving truck drift from their lane into mine and forced me off the road. It was a rainy day down south on the highway. The other driver had their dog on their lap and wasn’t paying attention to the road. My passenger saw everything as I was caught up in taking evasive action. The safe-t-plus allowed me to maintain control and slow down without flipping over in muddy and sandy side of the road.
A couple of years since install, but find I am not as tired after driving 4-6 hrs as I am not fighting the coach to stay straight and can even drive single handed if necessary to take a drink without having to white knuckle it. I would purchase it again.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Had it installed in my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W. Never regretted it,

On my way now to Safe-T-Plus factory to have IFS Stabilzers put on my 2015.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks you guys, yes I'm pretty happy with my coach. But could always be happier! Just haven't really driven much in high crosswords and think the stabilizer will reduce fatigue and add a safety factor for our longer trip.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks you guys, yes I'm pretty happy with my coach. But could always be happier! Just haven't really driven much in high crosswords and think the stabilizer will reduce fatigue and add a safety factor for our longer trip.
It definitely makes a difference in the cross winds. If you can get by the factory in Tallapoosa GA they will do the install and adjustments free. And a free overnight spot to camp in the back lot.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Would love to add this to my RV, out seems to wear me out after 300 to 400 miles of a days drive. Fighting the wheel and the wind, I thought it was just past for a class A. I got to drive a diesel with a Reyner Suspension system ( Comfort System) and loved it. They don't make it for the Gas versions yet, I do want something.
Jdhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Everyone has their opinion, and rightfully so. In My Opinion, I wouldn't leave my driveway without it. Went through the US up to Saskatchewan, over through Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Yukon, Alaska and back in summer of 2018. It performed as advertised, made driving a pleasure, and still is, 40k miles later!!! Love it!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I didn't think this was necessary for Freightliner chassis. I assume that is what your 42QD is.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Any steering stabilizer is better than no stabilizer. In case of blow out or a quick maneuver like above it could be a life saver.
Good luck, Dave
Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Had it installed on the 2015 Winnebago Tour 42qd on the 13th of July at the Talapalosa location. The personnel are wonderful. The install took just over an hour, then the test ride. Took it to the Interstate and on flat roadway it drifted to the right a little. Stopped on the shoulder of an off ramp and the ride technician got under and made an adjustment. One more time like that it it was tracking well with no drift.

It is well worth it,,,see next comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I didn't think this was necessary for Freightliner chassis. I assume that is what your 42QD is.
Both the 2008 and now the 2015 are Freightliner chassis. The 2008 was tie-rod and the 2015 is IFS, There are two reasons why a stabilizer is a good choice. As the word describes, they stabilize the wheels. Easier handling and tracking. Diminishes wind from natural causes and 18 wheelers overtaking the MH.

The second reason is safety, not only from the stabilization but the ability to control the MH during a blow out, not that I am anticipating a blow out.

Yes, the 42qd handled well with just it's normal apparatus, and handles even better with the Safe-T-Plus, Not necessary, but a very prudent decision.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I installed the Roadmaster version (RSSA) in the second year I owned my coach. It was more for what it would do for me in a blowout. What I have found is that it really doesn't help much in strong crosswinds. My rig tracked straight before, and still did after the install. The steering stabilizer forces the steering wheel back to center when turned. I did notice that it required a little more force to turn the wheel after the install, obviously because you are working against the force of the stabilizer. That being said, I found better results from a rear track bar and the CHF in dealing with crosswinds. Still is a challenge at times and I avoid large bridges with wind gusts over 25-30 mph. I had a couple of experiences where I thought I was going over the side so that is my limit. I always check the wind forecast on the windy app when I know I am going over a big bridge and I have created alternative routes around a few I need to go over when traveling south.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'm sure Dave is right in that it can't hurt. On the other hand, it would be nice to know what chassis those that experienced a big difference have. I've read a lot of posts about handling problems that I've never experienced with my 2002 Suncruiser 35U with a Workhorse chassis. My impression is that most of the gasser posts I've seen about handling issues have been about MHs with a Ford chassis.

If you have a Workhorse chassis, this thread I started in May 2019 might put your mind at ease:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...rd-354507.html

Note: The "CHF" (Cheap Handling Fix) mentioned by jpspaz is only for Fords (F53 I think), so, if you have a WH, don't bother researching it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The Saf-t-plus is so easy to install on my XC Freightliner chassis. I did it myself, and it only took a couple of times adjusting it by a few thousandths of an inch to get it driving straight down the road. The self centering part of it is wonderful as well. Makes my Forza almost drive like a (BIG) car. Coming back home in late August of 2018, I went almost 700 miles in one day. Could not have done that without it.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I installed Airtabs (actually used V-spoiler brand but they aren't sold in the US any more). Ebay carries the air tabs at $2 each but under a different name. So around $200 for the typical Class A. I can't find them just now but they were there a couple weeks ago.

The devices removed 99% of the effects of side winds, or the buffeting caused by trucks passing in either the same or opposite direction. Here's my review: V-Spoilers...

Rarely even think about having to white knuckle the steering wheel any more. This Journey, with the XC chassis, though well made, did have a tenancy to react wildly to quartering gusts of wind and to shift quite a ways when a big truck passed. Before I'd arrive after a days drive exhausted, not any more. The V-spoilers totally cured that.

The minor porpoising I was getting was cured with new shocks.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I should have mentioned that new shocks are a must if your's are old. My truck repair guy, who's also a MH owner recommended trying OEM shocks first before going the premium shock route. So far, I have no complaints about the OEMs.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Which chassis do you have on your 35B?/U? Mine is on the F53 and already had a rather heavy duty steering stabilizer on it.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

When we bought our used 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q it was already equipped with a steering stabilizer (can't tell what brand). In all our trips, including a couple Alaska to the Lower-48 and back trips, we noticed a little effect from crosswinds and passing big rigs, but it didn't seem too bad.

Others here have said those conditions affected their rigs pretty harshly and that was their rational for buying a stabilizer. Most have reported acceptable improvement in handling.

In your situation the addition of a steering stabilizer might help a little, and it sure won't make it worse. I suggest that as long as it isn't a budget buster, go ahead and get one.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We are very happy with the Saf-T-Plus

Had it installed in November 2019 on our 2016 Vista LX 35F. It made a big difference in handling when the 18 wheelers blow by on the highway. If you happen to be near or going thru northwestern Georgia, you can have it installed at their shop. A great crew and a ton of Southern Hospitality!
Old 07-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV55 View Post
Had it installed in November 2019 on our 2016 Vista LX 35F. It made a big difference in handling when the 18 wheelers blow by on the highway. If you happen to be near or going thru northwestern Georgia, you can have it installed at their shop. A great crew and a ton of Southern Hospitality!
For the record, according to the brochure, 2016 Vista LX 35F has a Ford F53 chassis.

I took a quick look at the posters who recommend a steering stabilizer and most, if not all, have either a Ford F53 chassis or a Diesel. I could be mistaken, but I didn't see any who had a Workhorse chassis who was recommending one based on personal experience.

Tags
steering