Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Steering Stabilizer for new V8 F53 Chassis?

As I stated before, I just purchased a new Adventurer 29B with the 2021 Ford F53 chassis. I have taken it for 2 trips already and found that I am constantly chasing the steering and found the rear sway annoying when trucks pass. I have read on a couple other forums that Ford made improvements in the sway bar and suspension compared to the old V10 chassis's but in my mind is not a total fix. Obviously there are plenty of 3rd party companies that make add on sway bars and steering stabilizers for the V10 chassis but not the newer 2020/2021 chassis. I did contact Roadmaster a couple weeks ago and they are looking for someone in the Vancouver WA area to bring in their unit so Roadmaster can design solutions. Are there other owners experiencing the same problems and are there solutions available that I may have missed
Rudy and Barb
2022 Adventurer 29B
Dallas TX
rubarb1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Safe-T-Steer is the number one steering stabilizer for RVs and makes a very good product. They have a factory in Georgia, but have a dealer/installer near you:

Diamond RV Center, Inc.
188 West Street
W. Hatfield, MA 01088
413-247-3144

However, their website doesn't list a model for the 2020+ F53 chassis. Here's the factory phone and email and perhaps you can contact them for an update.

[email protected]
(800) 872-7233

https://www.safe-t-plus.com/rv/
Old 06-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I second Safe-T-Plus. I've the 2021 Adventurer 29B as well. I was close enough to the Safe-T-Plus (https://www.safe-t-plus.com) factory in Georgia to drive over and have them install one before taking a 5,000 mile trip with toad. It worked as advertised and reduced the impact of cross-winds, passing trucks, etc. Did not eliminate them, but made steering much easier and less stressful and wearing. Well worth it in my opinion!

The chassis does have a beefed up sway bar, and, from my perspective coming from a similar size Class C, the sway was slightly improved. The 29B is still heavier (near it's max weight), and I'm considering adding Sumo Springs to the rear axle. That should stiffen up the back end and reduce sway even more. Right now I'm not keen on adding track bars or the CHF others have done. My past experience with making cars go-fast-and-handle-better taught me to change one thing at a time and test it. Also, making the suspension too stiff also makes for a rougher ride -- it's always a trade-off.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubarb1026 View Post
I did contact Roadmaster a couple weeks ago and they are looking for someone in the Vancouver WA area to bring in their unit so Roadmaster can design solutions. Are there other owners experiencing the same problems and are there solutions available that I may have missed
Rudy and Barb
2022 Adventurer 29B
Dallas TX
Sounds like you should volunteer! When I worked at a place that manufactured hitches the vehicle that was used as the template vehicle always got a free hitch installed as the thank you. I wonder if they would do the same with a rear track bar, etc.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes Roadmaster does provide the same program but since I am not retired yet, I cant afford to leave work for 3 weeks to take advantage of this.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

For Hermes2
Thank you for the Safe-T-Plus lead. I called them and verified that they have a stabilizer for my unit. Should get it in a couple weeks. Will provide a post update after its installed.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Before adding to or modifying your new coach be sure to do the very first new owner task which is to load the coach as you will be traveling with it, having it weighed and redistributing things if required so its not unevenly loaded or back heavy, inflate the tires per the load chart to match the correctly loaded coach and then have the coach aligned to match how its loaded for travel.

This is a critical process especially for the owner of a gas coach that does not have an automated load compensating air suspension package installed on it.

After this has been accomplished you may find adding to or modifying the suspension is not required.

Be mindful that its not an SUV but a modified Parcel Delivery Truck running on tires at best rated for a MAX speed of 75 MPH when they are new and properly inflated.

Most newbie handling problems are from over reacting and not being familiar with driving a vehicle that has a Recirculating Ball Worm Gear Steering Box instead of a Rack and Pinion system.

Truth be told my 1960's Cadillac didn't handle as well on the Interstate as my 2001 Adventurer 35U on the F53.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

How’s the new engine?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
How’s the new engine?
I wrote about my impressions of the new F53 V8 here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/my-n...ml#post5779694
Old 07-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We put many $$$$$ in our 2019 Vista to tame the F53 handling issues and it would be very dissapointing if the new chassis are still needing further work to make the ride better and safer..The industry knew there was a problem with the previous design and chose to do nothing..it's a shame if the problem is still there...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes2 View Post
I wrote about my impressions of the new F53 V8 here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/my-n...ml#post5779694
I read your detailed write up on IRV2. Good job.

Here’s a link to the doghouse insulation I did, in case you’re interested.

https://vimeo.com/429101708/f7919d43c3
Old 10-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I highly recommend the Henderson rear stabilizer. They are based in Grants Pass Oregon. We have a 2021 Adventurer 29b, rides great. Had a 2017 sun star for a spell, it was all over the place, No Henderson on it.
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a friend who bought a new F53 chassis with the V8. It may differ by manufacturer, but his Thor-built chassis has much larger sway bars than the older chassis. There are likely other improvements that are not physically evident, but everything else looks similar to my 2019 Winnebago Vista 27PE V10 chassis.

His experience is that the handling is improved over the previous models. Sway is definitely reduced. As you experienced, he get still gets pushed around by passing trucks and the steering still requires a lot of adjustment. He hasn't made any improvements yet and is still working on load and tire pressure adjustments.

I think you are on the right track with the steering stabilizer. I put a Roadmaster on mine. I also added the rear track bar suggested above (SuperSteer) at the same time. This really firmed the tracking up and helped the "aero push".

Instead of doing the Cheap Handling Fix or upgrading the sway bars on mine, I went with Sumo springs. (I think some manufacturers are still putting on Sumo's as a factory option, even on the new chassis.) Experiences vary, but the Sumo's made a big difference on mine. Sway was reduced and the harshness of the ride improved.

The F53 is a truck chassis and is is never going to give a luxury car or air suspension ride, but I am pretty happy with mine now. Personal preferences vary; some get there by doing nothing but load and tire pressure adjustment, others do a lot.
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote