Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f53Challenge View Post
Phil-T, can you provide the contact info for the mechanic that set the caster? Also, you say tire pressure is important. What pressure f/r have you found to be best for your coach and how does that compare to the motorhome mfg pressure recommendations?
Mechanic was/is in Syracuse, NY (Rudy's Truck Service). TP set according tire chart based on actual travel weight. Mine ended a bit lower than the placard.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
My only experience was with a Safe-T-Plus system on my 2008. It was a great improvement. I recommend it. There customer service is great.
Ditto... I have had Safe-T Plus on my prior Class C and current Class A. I would purchase again if I were to buy a new motorhome.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Regarding caster...
I spoke with an alignment shop that specializes in F53's and big rigs and was told that all the 2018/2019's that they've gotten their hands on, the caster was around +10 degrees.

They adjusted my slightly toe out to slightly IN and bent the front axle to make the positive camber go negative. (pretty cool machine!)
The steering now feels more responsive, rather than floaty.

I've been fighting a 26' coach with a weight issue. Too much in the rear and no place to move weight up front makes for very sloppy steering wheel. Even with a SafeTPlus, SuperSteer rear track bar and adjusted tire pressures.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by f53Challenge View Post
danhannah, how did you know to increase the caster?
From reading the comments and the amazing posts on the iRV2 Ford chassis section, if I recall correctly.

By the way, the alignment guys made me sign a document that said I was accepting the rig out of specs. I thought that was weird.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Regarding caster...
I spoke with an alignment shop that specializes in F53's and big rigs and was told that all the 2018/2019's that they've gotten their hands on, the caster was around +10 degrees.
Did you mean to say CASTER was +10 in the line above? Caster adjustment requires adding shims. Camber requires the bending you were describing.

10+ caster would be A LOT!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Yup, you read it correctly. They used shims to reduce my caster to 9*. Then they bent the axle to go negative camber.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #27
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I think you may need a new alignment shop if they asked you to sign a not to spec rather than showing you the spec they adjusted to.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Regarding caster...

They adjusted my slightly toe out to slightly IN and bent the front axle to make the positive camber go negative. (pretty cool machine!)
The steering now feels more responsive, rather than floaty.

I've been fighting a 26' coach with a weight issue. Too much in the rear and no place to move weight up front makes for very sloppy steering wheel. Even with a SafeTPlus, SuperSteer rear track bar and adjusted tire pressures.
YGoHom, I also have a coach (2011 Itasca 26p) where one of the issues is too much weight in the rear compared to the front and no way to shift the weight. I have thought about adding weight to the front by adding a front receiver hitch and perhaps moving the coach and chassis batteries to the front however I have not been able to find a front hitch for the F53 chassis. (If someone here knows of one, please chime in.) Additionally I believe we have another physics issue that is negatively affecting our handling. Our wheelbase is too short compared to our over length so our overhang has big influence on the front. If I looked up your coach correctly, your wheelbase is 158" and when divided by overall length 322" the result is .49. I believe for more stable handling that number should be ~55+. Hope this info helps someone before they purchase.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Yup. All things I bet we all knew BEFORE purchase, huh?
I've added a 3rd and will try for a 4th propane bottle, as well as 2 more batteries.
I'm also going to figure out how to build a shelf above the tranny to store large wood blocks for leveling and a collapsible ladder. There's a lot of room above the frame rails up there.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yup. All things I bet we all knew BEFORE purchase, huh?
I've added a 3rd and will try for a 4th propane bottle, as well as 2 more batteries.
I'm also going to figure out how to build a shelf above the tranny to store large wood blocks for leveling and a collapsible ladder. There's a lot of room above the frame rails up there.
Where are the 3 propane bottles? Where do you plan to add the 4th propane bottle and the 2 additional batteries?
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:12 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

The INTENT uses removable bbq sized propane tanks. 2 are supplied, but there's provisions for easily adding one more, and with a little effort, possibly a 4th.
For the batteries, there's plenty of room to build a platform for 2 more behind the existing 2 and the frame.

Tags
class a, steering