Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Where is a good place to get safe t plus installed in Alabama or Georgia
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
Did you install yourself? Any tips or tricks? Wondering about Stabilizer bar...says....install, road test, ADJUST?? Easy to adjust and how did you know you needed it? Good directions? Thanks again
I was going to install it myself, but the alignment shop offered to do it while on the rack. They wanted $150, which I thought was high, but they didn't charge for alignment because it was well within spec.
At that point, 150 was great. What better situation to install it than when on an alignment rack?

Adjustment is because the end attached to the tie rod could want to pull left or right if it's not bolted exactly on center. 1/16" apparently makes a big difference. Road test is to do a hands free test of the steering wheel on a straight FLAT stretch of road. If it doesn't track straight, you make a small adjustment.
They got mine spot on.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
2018 Intent 26M Owner

SafeTPlus factory is in Austrell GA, customer service contact mailto:[email protected].
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I know I'm expecting too much but you'd think that if a 2019 motorhome needed a stabilizer to handle well, Winnebago would have installed one, or at least offer it as an option. I can understand why one might not be part of the chassis as it came from the factory since every potential use has it's own characteristics, but Winnebago should know.

$150 for installation sounds good to me. I know that I'd probably shed some blood in the process and this way you know it's been done correctly.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #25
2018 Intent 26M Owner

BobC...I feel same way about Winnebago and same is true for not requiring Ford to provide more options rather than stock chassis. I was purchasing manager in Auto Industry for 35 years and know getting more is very possible
Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #26
2018 Intent 26M Owner

On order

Ordered the Roadmaster parts. New sway bar from Amazon and Steering Stabilizer from eTrailer. I am going to try to film install with iPhone and post
Old 02-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Ford has no reason to change anything. It's been said that Chevy has left the building and Ford is all alone in the chassis market.
If they haven't changed much in 20 years, they have less reason to make changes now.
Winnebago can push, but where are they gonna go? As I understand it, Ford's F53 is all that's available without getting into a diesel pusher.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #28
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Ford stock is $8/ share and they are barely holding on...if not for F series trucks and majority still Ford family they would be bankrupt. This is 45 years in industry speaking. Ask and ye shall receive. Some one on this forum said F53 being discontinued so maybe they will improve with next iteration
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I know I'm expecting too much but you'd think that if a 2019 motorhome needed a stabilizer to handle well, Winnebago would have installed one, or at least offer it as an option. I can understand why one might not be part of the chassis as it came from the factory since every potential use has it's own characteristics, but Winnebago should know.

$150 for installation sounds good to me. I know that I'd probably shed some blood in the process and this way you know it's been done correctly.
Good point Bob, I have wondered many times why products like Safety Plus or Sumo springs are not available as options on new Winnebagos. Then again there is the actual disbelief that they even design, build and sell the Class A 26 foot models, with the extreme short wheelbase. It would be nice if Ford improved the chassis but they have no idea that a builder is going to come along and design an enormous rear overhang on a 158 inch wheelbase. They are pushing physics to the edge.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #30
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Update on my orders. Received call from eTrailer this am...no stock on Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer and won’t be for 5-6 weeks...going back into production! Cancelled order and will order SafeTPlus but still waiting for them to advise correct parts. Email yesterday asking for my vin number and no reply after providing 😪 now I know why parts were not available on Amazon and didn’t even provide ship estimate
Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Anyone know correct SafeTPlus part numbers for unit and mountings for 2018 Intent 26M?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
Anyone know correct SafeTPlus part numbers for unit and mountings for 2018 Intent 26M?
These are the exact items I purchased for my 2018, as directed by the Safe T Plus sales rep.

Only 2 left as of this minute
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only 11 left
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave11 View Post
Good point Bob, I have wondered many times why products like Safety Plus or Sumo springs are not available as options on new Winnebagos. Then again there is the actual disbelief that they even design, build and sell the Class A 26 foot models, with the extreme short wheelbase. It would be nice if Ford improved the chassis but they have no idea that a builder is going to come along and design an enormous rear overhang on a 158 inch wheelbase. They are pushing physics to the edge.

I agree. I wish it was a bit longer, but really only to reduce the amount of tail swing when turning. It does, however, feel balanced, with all the weight over the axle.

My first Winnie was a 2001 Chevy 22' class C with a super short wheelbase. That thing drove like an empty U-Haul truck!
The next was a 2014 Ford E350 24' class C on a more appropriate length chassis. That thing really drove like a sports car, in comparison, with fr/rr discs, swaybars and a 5 speed trans.

I HATED the Intent the first couple of times taking it on the road, but now I can say that I haven't been happier. Unfortunately, it took some time, money and modifications to get it there. Whereas the 2014 Class C was great right off the lot.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I just had the dealer quote me a Safe-T-Plus installed and it was around $1100. I thought that was a bit high.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

I'm happy that my 2002 Suncruiser 35U has a Workhorse chassis. I've owned it since Nov 2018 and haven't noticed any bad handling characteristics other than a rough ride on bad streets. I did install new Monroe shocks and new tires.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #36
2018 Intent 26M Owner

[QUOTE=YGoHom;3835012]These are the exact items I purchased for my 2018, as directed by the Safe T Plus sales rep.

Thanks YGoHom, on order and will have all parts and unit by Friday. Love Amazon!

BTW, did receive return call from SafeTPlus and they confirmed parts you used and recommended.

The following videos are also available on line at SafeTPlus. first is installation on large Class A with F53 chassis and second is how to adjust after installation. With these in hand I believe I can do this myself easily. Total cost of parts is $560 and total labor should not exceed 2 hours.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #37
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Is high considering parts are about $550 and less than 1.5 hours to install if you have a lift and all power tools. I am going to do it myself and also will receive a new sway bar to install tomorrow. Don't want to do the "cheap fix" so new bar.
Luck to you!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Saf-T-Plus has stabilizers to match most RVs. Just call them. We did not find ours and called for the correct part.
LizandBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #39
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Thanks but apparently you didn’t read whole thread, I have all correct parts on order and did speak with SafeTPlus
Old 02-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

For those installing a steering stabilizer yourself...save yourself a lot of grief and make sure you have an impact gun that's up to the task. The spring plate U bolts are about 250 ft lbs iirc. Laying on your side doesn't yield the best leverage. The rest is simple.
I attempted to do mine and threw my POS impact in the trash. Even though I ended up having a shop install it, I still went out and bought a good electric impact gun. I love tools.

Tags
steering