Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slides don't work

I just had my 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y in the shop(s) for service. First at Freightliner Oasis for oil change and new serpentine belt and general chassis inspection and service. Then to an RV service center who was authorized MCD facility among other things. They fixed my windshield shades by replacing both motors, backordered some parts from HWH for the leveling jacks system and did a maintenance inspection and service of the 3 slide-outs. When I got home (2.5 hour drive) I attempted to extend one of the smaller slides and it did not work. Error message on the control panel said "Engage park brake". Same thing for the other 2 slides. Of course the brake was engaged so the panels are getting wrong information. Anyone have this happen? Seems there may be some kind of defective switch or disconnected wire? Any ideas would be appreciated. I spoke with the service center and they really didn't have and good leads on where to start looking. Basically, "bring it back and we will have to diagnose the problem".
KYBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

So how well do you feel they actually checked the slides if they sent you home with them not working?
Maybe time to switch to folks who check their work when they get done?

But that is not going to get it fixed, so some other ideas may help more!
One point that can be a problem is hard to get down where you can see on many RV as it is sometimes a switch mounted to the park brake mechanism that is often down under and around the seat but if you can get there, you may find a very simple switch which is active when the brake pedal is moved.

Sometimes it gets loose but is somewhat easy to spot because it is about the only thing with wires that are mounted down in this space. Sometimes only held on with a couple screws which can get loose and let it flop around!

Lots of different styles and kinds but this gives some different types as examples of what you might find:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wher...7ZtI2fBkMrxmmM
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it has air brakes and the switch to engage the parking brake is on the dashboard. Pull out to engage and push back in to release. When it's engaged the words "Brake" illuminates on the dash near the speedometer. That tells me some kind of switch is working.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBlue View Post
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it has air brakes and the switch to engage the parking brake is on the dashboard. Pull out to engage and push back in to release. When it's engaged the words "Brake" illuminates on the dash near the speedometer. That tells me some kind of switch is working.
Sorry , missed the Freightliner part due to poor/careless reading!
Old 08-10-2022, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Slides

KYBlue, I have a 2011 Journey 34Y and occasionally I get an error light when I try to extend one slide or the other. I have to reset them by turning off my battery switches and turning them back on again.
Give that a try before you tear into anything.
Hope that works for you.
Mike
mikemakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Somewhere in one of the bays there is a panel that when you remove it gives you access to the harness connectors. I'd start there and make sure that all the connectors are locked in place.

One time with my 2008 the did something in that area and disconnected the power line.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mike and Wayne,
Thanks for those Ideas. I will try both suggestions. Maybe the techs who did service to my slides opened the panels for the slides and left a loose wire.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I just had my 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y in the shop(s) for service. First at Freightliner Oasis for oil change and new serpentine belt and general chassis inspection and service. Then to an RV service center who was authorized MCD facility among other things. They fixed my windshield shades by replacing both motors, backordered some parts from HWH for the leveling jacks system and did a maintenance inspection and service of the 3 slide-outs. When I got home (2.5 hour drive) I attempted to extend one of the smaller slides and it did not work. Error message on the control panel said "Engage park brake". Same thing for the other 2 slides. Of course the brake was engaged so the panels are getting wrong information. Anyone have this happen? Seems there may be some kind of defective switch or disconnected wire? Any ideas would be appreciated. I spoke with the service center and they really didn't have and good leads on where to start looking. Basically, "bring it back and we will have to diagnose the problem".
I had the very same problem last week. I forgot to turn the slide power key on. I did as you did and checked the break. I can't imagine it is that simple for you. But I'm wondering if a wire may have come off the keyed slide power switch?
Old 08-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure how much value but thought to pass along a bit of info on location of what Imight think of as the control for the slides. Bit of guessing there so consider it as "suspect" info?

But if this is the correct item and what you eventually need, it seems like a trick to get to it as it is behind a lot of other stuff like breakers!

Description at left is for the two items shown in yellow?

Sometimes repair is like a puzzle and if we can get enough of the small pieces put together we can figure it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide contr1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	183779   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide contro.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	183780  

Old 08-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Chassis battery

On my 2004 Winnebago 32T, the slides are powered by the chassis batteries, even when shore power is available. Try engaging the momentary contact switch on the dash, which engages a relay that engages your house batteries in parallel with the chassis batteries. The switch is usually used for engine starting, but will add amperage for slide function, as well. This will supplement your power to the slide actuators, just in case your chassis batteries are discharged. It’s a longshot, but easy to try, in case you have a chassis battery bank that’s discharged. Just an idea…

I’m not familiar with the Meridian, but even if you don’t have that supplemental battery capability, I’d check the charge and connections at your batteries which power the slides. Good luck.
Touring Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Tom View Post
On my 2004 Winnebago 32T, the slides are powered by the chassis batteries, even when shore power is available. Try engaging the momentary contact switch on the dash, which engages a relay that engages your house batteries in parallel with the chassis batteries. The switch is usually used for engine starting, but will add amperage for slide function, as well. This will supplement your power to the slide actuators, just in case your chassis batteries are discharged. It’s a longshot, but easy to try, in case you have a chassis battery bank that’s discharged. Just an idea…

I’m not familiar with the Meridian, but even if you don’t have that supplemental battery capability, I’d check the charge and connections at your batteries which power the slides. Good luck.
The '11 Meridian is not HWH slides. We have PowerGear slides that use motors driving a rack & pinion system. The switch I mentioned is next to the control buttons, dedicated to the slides. Your information is great for a HWH issue. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

jerichorick,
you made my day. I was on an overseas trip when you posted the solution to my problem. I just got home 2 days ago and checked the key this morning and it was in the off position. I've only had this coach for a year and I always left the key in to on position. As a result, I actually forgot that it was there. The service tech must have turned it off. Everything is ok now! Thanks for helping me out with this "simple" solution.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I had that simple key problem years ago. Looking at the key it looked like it was in the "on" position, just 1/16" or less off of the "on"position. Drove me crazy trying to find the cause of the slide not working. Unfortunate that I have to say, DW said, "Is there a safety switch somewhere."

Duh! Key has to be in fully on position. Yep, been there done that!
Old 08-29-2022, 04:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I had that simple key problem years ago. Looking at the key it looked like it was in the "on" position, just 1/16" or less off of the "on"position. Drove me crazy trying to find the cause of the slide not working. Unfortunate that I have to say, DW said, "Is there a safety switch somewhere."

Duh! Key has to be in fully on position. Yep, been there done that!
Wayne, I have had the "safety switch" problem also. A micro switch in one of the slide locks got out of alignment. That was a trick to find. A small tweak to get it back on the motor shaft follow got me back to happy camping.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
jerichorick,
you made my day. I was on an overseas trip when you posted the solution to my problem. I just got home 2 days ago and checked the key this morning and it was in the off position. I've only had this coach for a year and I always left the key in to on position. As a result, I actually forgot that it was there. The service tech must have turned it off. Everything is ok now! Thanks for helping me out with this "simple" solution.
Welcome to the "Been there. Done that." club. We have many adventures as RVers. Some are on the road and planned. Some are trying to get on the road and not planned. Don't feed the RV gremlins. Their out to get you any time of the day!
Old 09-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have been having a similar issue on my 2011 40U Meridian. Good feedback and ideas for a fix. i have had my unit in to the dealers, and basically, THEY DONT KNOW. One technician checked with the manufacturer and I was told that I should always have engine running when opening and closing the slides. To that end, I actually leave it connected to shore power AND have the engine running. It seems to help the situation. What I have also found out is that if you stop the process of opening or closing mid-cycle, it will cause a fault, and the light will begin blinking. If the slide fails to move after that occurs, I simply do the "reboot", which is close everything down (including the engine), turn both "house and chassis" batteries off, and restart the process. That usually works for me. Interesting point about the key being slightly off position...great point to check. We have approx 85K miles on our unit, so I pray every time I open and close the front slides. We just completed a 4,200 mile/38 day trip with 12 stops...had the problem twice. One was my fault as I stopped the slide midcycle to wait for the wife...the other issue? The good news is that the slide worked after the reset. My front passenger slide is 90% of the fault issue. I also had to remove the slide lock on the driver side front and adjust the locking mechanism.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA puttin View Post
I have been having a similar issue on my 2011 40U Meridian. Good feedback and ideas for a fix. i have had my unit in to the dealers, and basically, THEY DONT KNOW. One technician checked with the manufacturer and I was told that I should always have engine running when opening and closing the slides. To that end, I actually leave it connected to shore power AND have the engine running. It seems to help the situation. What I have also found out is that if you stop the process of opening or closing mid-cycle, it will cause a fault, and the light will begin blinking. If the slide fails to move after that occurs, I simply do the "reboot", which is close everything down (including the engine), turn both "house and chassis" batteries off, and restart the process. That usually works for me. Interesting point about the key being slightly off position...great point to check. We have approx 85K miles on our unit, so I pray every time I open and close the front slides. We just completed a 4,200 mile/38 day trip with 12 stops...had the problem twice. One was my fault as I stopped the slide midcycle to wait for the wife...the other issue? The good news is that the slide worked after the reset. My front passenger slide is 90% of the fault issue. I also had to remove the slide lock on the driver side front and adjust the locking mechanism.
You mention a big point that is not often understood. The slides and jacks often need lots of 12VDC power to run the big hydraulic pump. They are one of the few big power users on the 12VDC side of things, so understanding where that power comes from may help on how to give them the best chance to work right!

We can try it with just the batteries which may be weak.
We can try it with plugging in and using the batteries and the converter which is trying to slowly recharge the batteries and it may work.

OR we can start the RV engine first and let it tie the two battery groups together with the great big alternator on the engine that can put out as much as 125 amps and really have lots of power to make things work their best!
Old 09-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

The electric slide motors also require good battery voltage. My big full wall slide is electric as are the kitchen and bedroom. I always start the engine when extending or retracting the sides and also when deploying the jacks. it is Winnebago's recommendation,

Also, with the electric slides it states in the Lippert Manual to never revers directions and when the slide stops hold the switch in for a minimum of 5 seconds to sync the motors.

I have never had one stall on me.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Always check the ground if you feel that the motors are dragging .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide