Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slides and Jacks Won't Work - 2003 Adventurer

Been on the road for six months and everything worked fine. Got to our spring work site and ran the bedroom slide out a few inches to get in the dresser and then back in. Worked fine. Moved to our campsite and leveled her just fine, all jacks extending and/or retracting as needed. Once level my wife started t0 extend the bedroom slide and it moved very slow, stopping about 4" out, She tried to retract and it wouldn't come in nor will it go out further. Tried the living room slide and it won't extend. Tried the jacks and they'll retract (just hit one jack once) but they won't extend.

When the buttons are activated on the jacks or slide I hear a click but nothing more and the pump is not running. The easy things I've tried save for the connections on the relay, it's raining out, it's cold, and it's late so I'm waiting until morning for that.

I'm baffled, why would the jacks work correctly and then the slide start out but fail, and then the jacks fail. Could low fluid in the reservoir be the culprit? Could a shuttle valve catastrophically fail?

At least it happened here and not on the road.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the classical bad ground on the pump motor. I believe that your '03 Adventurer has a HWH system with the tank under the LR slide? If so, tomorrow check to see if the slides work or not. It's easier to work on the hydraulic manifold if the slide is out.

Then take a ratchet and tighten the ground lead on the jack and slide motor. It's on top of the the hydraulic manifold. If there isn't a ground lead (the motor itself is internally grounded), you should add one as that is a sore spot with the system. Also, underneath that manifold there is a welded on ground lug where several ground leads, nearly all of them, come together and ground all the relays down there. Scrunch that nut up tight while under there.

When the weather is better, remove all those ground leads and wire brush them, spray clean them, etc. Maybe cover them with dielectric grease. Sometimes the welded ground lug busts off when you try reefing on the nut so prepare for that too. Usually just drilling and adding your own bolt would do the job.

That should do it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Should have said I have the HWH 310 series jacks and slides.

If by tank you mean with all the valves and the reservoir with fill port, mine is behind the grill and in front of the radiator, pretty easy to get to. The relay looks to be mounted adjacent to it. There is nothing behind the left front wheel area except for hoses, that I can plainly see anyway. I plan to go after the connections first.

The slides will not extend. I can't for the life of me figure out how the bedroom slide would work a little, out a few inches then back in, and half an hour later the jacks work, then the slide doesn't work, the living room slide won't work, and the jacks will not extend. The jacks will retract but that may be a fail safe mode so you can travel.

Whatever it is it's with the entire hydraulic system. As mentioned, I'll attack the connections first.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Any chance it is just lack of battery power?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Team

On most models there is a parking brake interlock. I'm sure you've set the PB. But is it possible the interlock is malfunctioning?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

This wouldn't have anything to do with your failure but I recently learned that it's not a good idea to run a slide partially out and then retract it. If you run it partially out, you should run it the rest of the way out before retracting it. Otherwise things may get out of alignment.

I agree with the others that this is most likely an electrical issue or complete pump failure.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Still not working. It is not a loose electrical connection at the relay, pump, or ground. I took them all loose and cleaned them, making sure they are tight. When either slide switch or the jack switch is depressed the relay clicks but that is all.

Battery is good, I have a Trik-L-Start on the battery and it's at 13.5 volts. I've thought of the brake switch but the jacks leveled the coach before the slide shut down and then nothing in the HWH system worked after that.

Something failed somewhere.
I've thought it may be a relay or fuse somewhere but the relay clicks.
I am open to suggestions.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Call HWH support before the weekend gets here. Like right away.

Phone: (563)724-3396 or (800)321-3494

Business Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central Time (M-F)
Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Down near the pump and manifold there is a 40 amp inline fuse. Sometimes hard to find. Find that fuse and check it. Mine corroded away enough that it open circuited after being intermittent for a while. Replaced the fuse socket and went with a modern automotive fuse from Napa. Added a couple 5/16" connectors crimped on the wires, those mated to the fuses spade terminals. Once that was in place, my system was back running correctly.

Also, there is a forum member, AZPete who works for HWH and will help you online or by phone. Send him a PM.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

This may help:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html

You can test your circuitry with a multimeter to locate the breakdown. I can see how one part could go bad but it's unlikely that several would. This would lead me to think that it's either the brake switch or a bad ground.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On our previous rig the hyd system always ran fine whether the engine was running or not , but our new rig has some kind of interlock that requires the engine to be running when operating the hydraulics..I wonder even though you read a good battery, that starting the motor may make the difference...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Talked with Paul from HWH, He gave me some pointers and I've pretty much eliminated the electrical. With a multi-meter I have the same voltage, 12.7, on both sides of the relay when one of the slides or the jack button is pushed plus I have 12.7 going to the motor. Paul said the motor is shot but a final test would be to put a jumper cable on the lead from the battery, always hot, and the other on the motor's post, if it doesn't run it's bad. It didn't run. As a side note, I thumped on the motor with a hammer while my wife held a slide button, Paul says the motors stick sometimes stick and suggested this, and the slide came out 1/2" but the motor would not run. I am now searching for a pump motor.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

We're lucky to have Paul, he's helped me out a couple of times.

Another great, professional resource is Tireman9, a retired tire engineer.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem with my 2003 itasca horizon. I purchased a new motor on the internet for about $66 plus shipping. The new motor has a separate ground and will require a new ground wire to the nearby ground terminal. Gain access to the system until you see the rear of the motor. Remove the wire to the terminal and remove the two bolts holding the motor to the tank. Remove the motor. Align the new motor/pump mechanical connectors so they all align up properly and push the new motor in place. Install the bolts and everything should align up. Make a ground wire with #8 wire and hook it up.

See if it works. Leave the relay and all of the other wires alone and you won't have a problem figuring out how to hook them back up. It took two days to install my unit, but could now do it in less than an hour.
judway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
VFW Post 8639 Okolona Ken

Bet it's the pump motor. Had the samething happen to us not hard to replace just have to get the number off the top of the hdy tank ours is a 2004 35U
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Check the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir tank, just a little down can wreak havoc with jacks and slides, good luck, its a bit of a bu***r to get at when the slides are not extended, but a long neck funnel will do the job if required.
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Richard
I can't offer any suggestions since I'v had no problems with my 2003 35U except for a leak on one of the rams underneath. If I can get in to HWH
this summer I'm going to have them fix that. Good luck on the repairs and if you would please post what you find. Your experience could greatly help myself and others if we have the same problem. I hope the motor fixes it.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #18
Itasca Meridian 36G

Suggest you replace the relay while your in there. The relay is usually attached to the pump with a hose clamp. And keep track of the little connection rod between the motor and pump shafts. Easily dropped. Good luck.

Tags
jacks, vent, slide, adventurer