Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Slide Question - Noise

Vista 35F with what I'd call a rack & pinion slide system, 2 racks top-bottom each slide.

Is this right? The noise this system makes running the slides in & out is horrible, gets the hair on the back of my neck standing up straight. Kinda sounds like rip-rap rock rolling around a clothes dryer.

Assuming it's just the way it is, is there anything I can do to lessen the noise?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
NXR
Winnebago Owner

What model year?

What does the mechanism on the side of the slide look like? Black plastic-ish with teeth that floats or metal with U-shaped thingies screwed tight to the slide? I suspect it's the latter. A picture would be helpful.

Do the slides move evenly?

Do you hear any bogging down of the motor when extending or retracting?

Has the noise changed or did you just get the Vista?

Do you hold the button down fully on extension and retraction until the noise stops even though the slide itself is already stopped? Some slide mechanisms require this so the motors re-sync, some do not.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

New 2019 vista

Slide mechanism is a free-floating (attached at ends only) aluminum gear rack, not of the serpentine type. Google searched, may be called "slim rack" system.

Slides seem to move evenly, smoothly with no noticecable change in speed or noise.

Slides have been fully run in/out the few times used.

I'm a neanderthal, had a hard time when the world was analog. Couldn't figure out how to include photo.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
NXR
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like you have the Power Gear SlimRack but the only ones I've seen use a kind of black plastic or synthetic gear toothed thingy that free floats as you noted, not aluminum.

That one is now owned by Lippert, as is the older Schwintek system and is considered very reliable. I have that SlimRack system and yes, it kind of screeches as it moves the slides. Is that what you're hearing?

If the slides are moving evenly and there are no gouges in the floor or on the bottom of the slide where the rollers meet the slide it's probably normal. Mine take about thirty seconds to extend or retract. Have you timed yours?
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Slides screech and groan and sometimes BANG. There is a lot going on. It's part of the slice experience. Seals are scraping along the sides, top and bottom of the slide. Wood is creaking. Rollers are rolling and scraping, too. Slide toppers are unfurling and topper metal cover are springing.

In my experience this is 100% normal.

To upload photos you need to read this help thread - it offers all kinds of help with the forum:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...lp-349894.html

PS. You have a Power Gear Slim Rack slide system. Lippert purchased Power Gear a few years back. Go to www.lci1.com. Lippert is a 60+ year old company that has grown to massive size. They keep buying more and more smaller companies that provide products to RVs and similar industries.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

When we bought our 2016 Vista the dealership did not tell us to run the motor while moving the slides of to open the door or a window. This is covered in the manual for the motorhome as the slides and leveling jacks are powered by the chassis battery not the house batteries.

This past August we had ours at the Winnebago factory for slideout repairs and that was one thing they stressed was to run the engine while leveling and moving the slides in or out along with an open window or the door.
Mille71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Site Team

We always run the engine while activating the slides, but I’ve never heard of opening a window or door as well??? OK, I have on Prevost coaches because they are so air tight. But, as my slides move I can see they are not air tight.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We, too, always have our engine running when running the jacks or the slides. Our manual tells us that this is preferable, as well. We do lubricate the seals and the slides twice a year and that does quiet ours down...relatively speaking. They still will make the noises, just not as loud or pronounced. There are differing opinions on rather to level one's rig first and then deploy the slide outs or vice versa. We level first, deploy, and then tweak the level when needed.

Al
Old 12-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Newmar makes a big deal about slides first THEN level. But WBGO has always said to level first. So always do.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Did you know your coach has a recall for an electrical issue?
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I own a Sunstar LX 35F and it should have the same slide system. Last week I performed a maintenance and I forgot to lubricate the button left slide mechanism of the driver's side; when I tested the noise was similar to your description. I asked my wife to open and close the slide to see why the noise, I decided to spray 3 in 1 Slide Out Silicone Lube the rolling mechanism, located just inside by the edge of the side of the motorhome body and the noise complete disappeared. For now on, my plan is that whenever I am parked for a long time I will spray the rollers before closing the slides.
uguefran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am interested to check the recall. Would you please indicate where can I see the recall post. Thank you for the information.
uguefran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #13
2016 View 24J Profile

Re: lube

I suggest that you use CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant instead of silicon lube. It is exactly what the folks at Winnebago use at the factory.
Apply at least twice a year for best results
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Yes, can we have the location for checking for recalls? Thanks
Old 12-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

35f Recall info

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/W.../VISTA#recalls

Electrical Connector Incorrectly Mounted to Floor
If the floor gets wet where the electrical connection is mounted, there is an increased risk of an electrical short and fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V811000

Manufacturer Winnebago Industries, Inc

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 638

Summary

Winnebago Industries, Inc. (Winnebago) is recalling certain 2017-2020 Itasca Vista, Sunstar, and Adventurer 35F motorhomes. An electrical connector was mounted directly on the floor instead of to a standoff backet as intended.

Remedy

Winnebago will notify owners, and dealers will correctly mount the electrical connector onto a metal standoff bracket, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Winnebago customer service at 1-641-585-6939 or 1-800-537-1885. Winnebago's number for this recall is 160.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the info - always good to check these things ahead of time.

Tags
noise, slide