Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide-out hydraulic leak

I have a new-to-me 2002 Itasca Horizon.
I have noticed hydraulic oil spots on the floor below both slide mechanisms.
It appears to be a minor leak - small 'spots' from very slow drips but I'm concerned that it is losing hydraulic fluid, which may eventually cause the slide mechanism to fail.
Where should I look first?
AND, where is the hydraulic reservoir for these slide pumps?
Bill Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Page 46 (2-24) of the Operator's Manual for your coach shows the location of the pump assembly for your HWH slide/jack hydraulic system. The hydraulic fluid tank is part of that assembly.

I believe that HWH had a problem with the fittings on their hydraulic hoses around the time you coach was built and they ended up replacing them for many folks. It may be worth your while to check with them and see whether they can help you out

You also might try giving Paul Maddox (azpete) a call. He works for HWH, is active on these forums, and seems always happy to help out fellow RVers. His number (as he has posted before) is 602 549 3638 or [email protected] .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info - I'll follow up with HWH.
Bill
Old 11-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I sent an inquiry to HWH engineering department and Joe Portelli responded.
After I sent him a picture of the hose part number, and a video of the hose dripping, he said the hose was not one that they had issues with.
He said I should order a replacement hose.
I've asked if there is a company in the Dallas Fort Worth area who could properly replace the hose. Since it is 100 inches long I thought the hose might have to be oil filled as it is installed.
I haven't gotten an answer to either questions yet ~
Old 11-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'd order the hose from HWH. That way you know that everything is good as to specs. You don't have to fill it with oil but bleed it after installation. My understanding is that the system is self bleeding and will expel the air on their own as you "exercise" the system.
Before I did this, I sped things up by pressurizing the system and carefully loosening the hose fitting at the far end until all the air is expelled and only fluid leaks out. I then exercised it to make sure. Wear gloves and eye protection. And make sure your system's tank is topped off after bleeding.

And, if you open your slides only part way, make sure you open them all the way before closing them. Also, it's a good idea to hold the switch down for about five seconds after the slides are fully closed or fully open.

By the way, I second Chris Beierl's comments about AZ Pete. He's been a great help to me via Winnieowners private message system.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leak, slide