Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide awning replacement

Is there a good place to have a Carefree awning topper replaced? Can a person send their housings back to Carefree for replacement material? Thanks!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just about any RV repair shop does fabric replacements. This is also a DIY project usually taking two persons. The job is not difficult - but requires physical work like climbing ladders, tugging and pulling fabric, etc.

Whether done by a shop or yourself you can buy fabric from Carefree, Tough Tops, or StoneVos. Prices and quality of fabric vary. Carefree has some decent instructions on how-to, and U-Tube has a bunch of videos (look at those done by Tough Tops).

My DW and I replaced all 3 of our toppers in 2 days - needed a helper on the FWS. And yes - at 65+ we were pretty tired the next day.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Team

I've been mulling over replacing mine. I get a morning email from RVUpgrades and one day saw that they sell the material by the roll. (Can't seem to find it on their site right now). I think it was a 50 foot roll. It doesn't look like a major job to replace it yourself.

EDIT: found the link. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Soler...-p/00-1602.htm
Old 04-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Great answers guys! I was wondering if a person could DIY. Boy, I know about feeling it the next day. Wow, that roll in a box is great! Did you or do you take the awning assembly off the motorhome? I'll take any tips I can get.
Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Great answers guys! I was wondering if a person could DIY. Boy, I know about feeling it the next day. Wow, that roll in a box is great! Did you or do you take the awning assembly off the motorhome? I'll take any tips I can get.
Thanks again!

Check for a Youtube video I think there are a few. You will need to lock the tube's spring(s), remove the tube from the mounts on the slide, then slide the material out of the gutter/track to the front or back of the RV. Replace the material on the tube then slide it all back together. It's so easy from my office chair.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On our 2 smaller slides (about 18' and 9') we left the roller tube on top of the slide out. On the 30+' FWS we took the roller tube down (3 people on ladders).

Carefree has different kinds of mounts so you should search your particular model.

If you choose to buy a roll of fabric you'll need to measure and cut, then sew a pocket in the coach rail and roller tube sides - and insert a spline (often two different sizes) in the sides. Any good upholsterer / boat top shop can do the sewing, etc. Otherwise - you give your measurements to the manufacturer and they send you a custom-cut piece. They'll provide you directions on what / how to measure.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Check for a Youtube video I think there are a few. You will need to lock the tube's spring(s), remove the tube from the mounts on the slide, then slide the material out of the gutter/track to the front or back of the RV. Replace the material on the tube then slide it all back together. It's so easy from my office chair.
Well... That does sound EASY! But, I think not-so-much!
Old 04-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
On our 2 smaller slides (about 18' and 9') we left the roller tube on top of the slide out. On the 30+' FWS we took the roller tube down (3 people on ladders).

Carefree has different kinds of mounts so you should search your particular model.

If you choose to buy a roll of fabric you'll need to measure and cut, then sew a pocket in the coach rail and roller tube sides - and insert a spline (often two different sizes) in the sides. Any good upholsterer / boat top shop can do the sewing, etc. Otherwise - you give your measurements to the manufacturer and they send you a custom-cut piece. They'll provide you directions on what / how to measure.
Thanks!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Team

Youtube has a bunch of videos to guide you:

Old 04-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We replaced all four of our slide toppers on our Tour AD last fall in about 4 to 5 hours. I found a 50 foot roll of material on ebay for 165.00 & free shipping. The material was good quality and easy to cut square off the roll. The only difference was the material is not seamed on the ends after you cut it. It did not make a difference to me and the quality was good anyway. Only had to remove the covers as shown on you tube and open up the slot a bit with a drill. Easy peasy! After we were done I had about 3-1/2 feet of material left over.
Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Is there a good place to have a Carefree awning topper replaced? Can a person send their housings back to Carefree for replacement material? Thanks!
You just need the number off of the roller part and the length and give carefree a call. That should do it.
jack1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

All RV repair on Grant in Tucson
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:18 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I called ToughTops in Vancouver WA, they custom made my new fabric for the three slides I have. It arrived in a week, this 71 year old (was 68 then) followed their video, and replaced all by myself, one per day, slow but steady got the job done.

The new fabric is immensely better than the OEM provided fabric. The new stuff retracts and extends much smoother, does not make racket in the wind, and water runs off much better. Very happy with the product.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
WinnieAdven38

Slide topper fabric replacement is a commonly needed job. Any RV dealer should be able to do, or as has been mentioned, it can be a DIY project. For help just search YouTube - many videos there on how to do this.

You can also reference "The RV Geeks" who have produced several very detailed videos on how they did this replacement work themselves. They were able to use material of far better quality than original, and saved a ton of $$ by doing it themselves
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Awning Topper Try Tough Top Awning in Vancouver, Washington, USA

Hi, Give Tough Top Awning a call or email on their website in Vancouver, Washington, USA? They can send you new slideout awning toppers or they can replace them at their business site?
I had all my toppers replaced and the main awning 0n my Winnebago Adventurer, and they did a wonderful job! They are a family run business and are great people to help you!
Please contact them for all your slideout topper awning needs or any awning needing to be replaced! Much stronger and better than the A&E or Carefree awnings I had to have replaced over the years? FYI. Tweety. April 27,2020
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, awning, replace, replacement, slide