Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Six wheels up

I own a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. Today, while attempting to level it on a new slab, the auto leveler function ended up raising all 6 wheels off of the ground to achieve level. I dropped it down and gave it a retry. Same result. I dropped it again and leveled it manually. One one front tire off of the ground. I have leveled the MH automatically, faceing the opposite direction, with all six tires on the ground, previously. Anyone have simular issues?
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Time to re-calibrate "level" in the system!

I'm not one to worry too much about some front tire lifting, but rear tires are another story and must remain on the ground. Period.

We have a steep drive way. I back up the drive to park near the house. Level is probably achieved with the front tires 9" off the ground. My jacks don't go that high and I could see that even with chocks and hard set parking brakes that this was stressing my front jacks too much.

So, now, we don't even attempt to level in the driveway. I back up the driveway, facing downhill and - this will shock you no doubt - I put out our full-side slide. We can't load the RV without putting out that one slide or the other two.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and if you can't achieve level in your RV then just go with it. It's not perfect but it works.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What creative said. Never have the rear wheels off the ground. Never. You also shouldn't have the front tires up. If you can't achieve level with all 6 on the deck, don't do it. There are lots of reasons , search here and you will find lots of info that will keep you safe.
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:07 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I have a similar issue with being unable to get level in our driveway. But after two & 1/2 years, we've had no issue with the slide outs opening or closing, nor the residential refrigerators (2 of them) which are running all of the time.
We run the back wheels up on these step ramps. Really shouldn't go any higher as I'm already over the recommend 4". One side is 5" and the other 6".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 4.30.52 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	182224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 5.01.05 PM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	182225  

Old 03-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

10-4 on keeping the rear tires on the ground, that is all that keeps the MH from moving around. Prefer front wheels on the ground also, but have had them an inch or so off the ground in the past with no worries.

I would have never done that with my FW Storm as the jacks were perfectly plumb with the motor home meaning the were straight up and down, and with the front wheels off the ground, I could feel the coach swaying around on the jacks, that gave me an uneasy feeling.

My new to me DP has all the jacks at about a 10 - 15 degree slant to create more of a triangle and there is none of the coach moving around side to side. Rear tire contact with terra firma helps prevent the front to back swaying
Old 03-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

parking on a steep driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Time to re-calibrate "level" in the system!

I'm not one to worry too much about some front tire lifting, but rear tires are another story and must remain on the ground. Period.

We have a steep drive way. I back up the drive to park near the house. Level is probably achieved with the front tires 9" off the ground. My jacks don't go that high and I could see that even with chocks and hard set parking brakes that this was stressing my front jacks too much.

So, now, we don't even attempt to level in the driveway. I back up the driveway, facing downhill and - this will shock you no doubt - I put out our full-side slide. We can't load the RV without putting out that one slide or the other two.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and if you can't achieve level in your RV then just go with it. It's not perfect but it works.
I also have a very steep driveway, but wouldn't dream of extending my slides without being at least close to level. I park like this, and yes it takes a 3 or 4 step process to get here, but my coach is almost level for loading & unloading.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Home #2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	182252  
Digital_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:40 PM   #7
Site Team

My driveway sees your driveway and says, “How cute!” I’ll try to post a photo during the daylight, it is night here now.

Sorry, it’s just a whole different thing. You’ve done a good job getting it up on those blocks, but even that would not be enough to achieve level here.

Nice Forza by the way.

I realize the risk doing as I am, for now I’m going to keep going with it. When I have to go to the factory in Iowa to fix the damage everyone here can say, “Told you so!”
Old 03-13-2022, 09:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I own a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. Today, while attempting to level it on a new slab, the auto leveler function ended up raising all 6 wheels off of the ground to achieve level. I dropped it down and gave it a retry. Same result. I dropped it again and leveled it manually. One one front tire off of the ground. I have leveled the MH automatically, faceing the opposite direction, with all six tires on the ground, previously. Anyone have simular issues?
Mine was doing that on different occasions, raising it higher than need be to achieve level. I fussed with it one day last summer using a digital level on the floor til I had it zeroed out side to side and front to rear. On mine the level sensing unit is mounted to the frame rail a few feet behind the front wheel on the drivers side. It’s adjustable using the mounting screw and watching the lights on the unit. Even after adjustment I still feel it’s going beyond what necessary to get level. I need to revisit that whole scenario when I get time. The screws and springs have some corrosion and need to be replaced. In the meantime I’m more comfortable just leveling manually.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47508.pdf
Old 03-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I very quickly gave up on the auto-leveling feature. Seemed like the answer to every problem was "go higher." I can keep everything closer to the ground by doing it manually.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You can re-calibrate the auto level. You tube has several videos to help.
Park Super is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
My driveway sees your driveway and says, “How cute!” I’ll try to post a photo during the daylight, it is night here now.
I promised a photo of my steep driveway to make you feel better about yours... Here 'tis:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driveway copy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	736.2 KB
ID:	182260  
Old 03-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
I promised a photo of my steep driveway to make you feel better about yours... Here 'tis:
What a perfect place to build an RV garage!
Old 03-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
What a perfect place to build an RV garage!
Strong POA convenants would make that expensive. See that building next door? It's my neighbor's shop. He had to make it the same materials, same colors, and even the garage doors on the same side of the building as his house. It cost him over $100,000 to build a wood working shop.

Since my garage doors are on the South side of the house, so would any RV garage's doors have to be. But there's not enough room in the back yard for that to be built because of our pool and rear deck. All of our acreage is in the front of the house. We're set way back. The drive is twice as long as what you can see, and it twists and turns.

Yes, POAs have a lot of rules, but we have 1000 home sites all between 1.5 and 5 acres in size and the rules keep everyone playing on the same team. Our property value has doubled and we like it that way.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The more common issues you might have with extended periods having wheels off the ground are jack damage from excessive lateral forces and cab area front cap and glass damage depending on where the front jacks are mounted. On some coaches with poorly placed front jacks windshields have been know to pop out/off of their frames. Some have folded their jacks too even with the rear wheels on the ground since the parking brake on a gas chassis is usually on the drive shaft and not both rear wheels which allows the differential to spin.